Modernising the Ford Capri

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Modernising the Ford Capri

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: I've lost track of the people who tell me they used to have a 3.3 litre. Which didn't even exist.
I had one Paul...It came with a bag of cement in the boot as standard!
Image :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

"The fuck the matter with everyone? If he buys a capri and wants to do anything to it why wouldn't everyone just give useful info/links instead of telling them it's a stupid idea and dont do it it's a classic."

To be fair, the reason there`s no advice forthcoming is simply because it`s not been done, and the reason it`s not been done is because it`s NOT feasible. Don`t think that`s unduly harsh or negative it`s just fact?
I`ll be honest though, I admit I`m not too keen on people grafting another car`s running gear onto a capri shell, then `road testing` it on a public road to see if it works OK. Not without an IVA or some other form of proper testing by someone who knows what they`re doing. You don`t drive your car in isolation , you put other people at risk if it fails.
I hold my hands up - I AM a boring old fart.....
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

CazzaBee wrote:
It was my main concern for pruchasing a car older than myself and knwoing how that car technology has come a long way since then.
Yes that's very true, modern cars are very different, not always in a good way though which is why a lot of people take a few steps back into the older world, especially in motoring.

But it's not really feasible to place modern car technology into an older car, may as well just buy the newer car in the first place and there you go, all sorted.

It's like anything, you wouldn't really buy an 80's record player, then rip the insides out because you want it to be like a modern MP3 player.
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote: I've lost track of the people who tell me they used to have a 3.3 litre. Which didn't even exist.
I can see the sign under the bag and I can sure imagine the boys at Capri Power doing that! That's never your car though Andy, you wouldn't allow the bag to burst and mess the boot apace up :)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
I can see the sign under the bag and I can sure imagine the boys at Capri Power doing that! That's never your car though Andy, you wouldn't allow the bag to burst and mess the boot apace up :)
You got me :sorry: :wave:
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

I guessed from your OP that you are a newish driver & it's not surprising that you want a car that would suit the 'modern' driving style but as has been said, it's not really practical to go that far in your position. Perhaps someone with many years' car building/racing experience might have the wherewithal / spare cash and desire to do it for fun, but for you it would be a project that never hits the road. There are mods to a standard Capri that are of benefit to any driver with plenty detail on the web about suspension upgrades etc. to keep an enthusiast busy but the main thing to do is to learn how to drive the car. Drums on the rear means it won't stop like a modern discs-all-round lightweight so you don't stick to the arse of the car in front like most drivers do these days. A two-second-gap behind the car in front helps to keep the front bumper straight.
Go buy one and enjoy it and enjoy learning to 'be able' to drive it, because the kids at junior school today will probably not have the opportunity to 'drive' any car themselves.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

There are a few practical tweaks that can be made to improve reliability etc - electronic ignition perhaps, new carb without a possibly unreliable autochoke etc. Good tyres, fresh brake fluid, all make a difference.

If used daily be prepared to spend time looking after it or money paying someone else to do so, though lots of basic maintenance checks are straightforward and not so long ago every motorist would do them! There are differences with modern cars, the car won't tell you that there's a problem by it coming up on an LCD panel, it will sound or feel different. As long as you remember that its a lot more rudimentary than you may be familiar with, you're fine.

My Capri is probably best described as a weekly driver although that depends on the season - it is tucked up in the garage at present! However it will happily do a decent mileage every day for a week or so with only standard checks.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I think today has shown you don't need a modern car... I managed to get off the driveway and all the way to work OK :D
D366Y wrote:What snow??

ImageIMAG0248 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0249 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0253 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

I managed to get to work OK :D
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

Agreed and Kudos to you! :drive:
D366Y wrote:I think today has shown you don't need a modern car... I managed to get off the driveway and all the way to work OK :D
D366Y wrote:What snow??

ImageIMAG0248 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0249 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0253 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

I managed to get to work OK :D
Nige Image
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

CazzaBee wrote:
pbar wrote:
CazzaBee wrote:capri as my main/daily car and run it in all weather conditions and not wake up on a monday morning and thinking how greasy is the road going to be around a roundabout.
....And don't take too much notice of the legendary 'the back is always drifting out, you need extra weight in the boot, etc, etc.' kind of talk, there are plenty of Capri myths out there, I've lost track of the people who tell me they used to have a 3.3 litre. Which didn't even exist.
It was my main concern for pruchasing a car older than myself and knwoing how that car technology has come a long way since then.

Guess ill have to test drive a few, and wiegh up the options for myself, to see if im comfortable driving it every day or not.

Again thanks everyone for the comments.
Don’t know if you’ve driven one at all but they’re not a bad car, my son forgets he’s in a 30+ year old car after just a few minutes.
Don’t know how soon you are thinking of buying but if you attend car shows, you’re welcome to try mine at Haynes in April or Brooklands for the 50th. Unfortunately I don’t own your chosen Laser model but it’s an ‘87 car so built around the same time & they’re all basically the same. Good luck.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Seriously , to do such mods ( you forgot lane departure warning and park assist ) you would have to buy a whole modern car as a donor.
In all fairness anyone used to driving a modern car is going to find a Capri a bit agricultural ,but then they do have their roots ( had plenty of roots in mine... :xd: ) in the era where you actually had to drive the car......you know. like actually "feel" the brake pedal and moderate the throttle to suit conditions rather than rely on some ( fallable) gizmo to do the thinking for you. It all requires a level of skill that will give you a certain pleasure to both attain and use.....like being good at golf ( or whatever). Capris are a cool car ,can't be denied but you do need to have a higher skill level to do the basics than in a modern auto-everything car. If you want to embrace the driving experience ....get one , if you just want to look cool get one of them new Mustangs or Challengers
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
sarkie83
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6L

Post by sarkie83 »

Rather than modernising as such, if you want to run it as a daily I would focus on security and rust prevention.

Mechanically they are simple, easy to repair and fine as daily as long as you aren't doing 1000's of miles a year.

If you are used to modern cars you'll be shocked how badly bodywork can disintegrate in a couple of years if used daily. If you don't have the bodywork skills, or friends and family in the trade...it's VERY expensive!!

'Security' is probably the most alarming gulf vs a modern! Locks can be forced easily, steering locks broken, hot wired, or even being followed and having it dissapear on the back of a low loader. Consider wheel/pedal/handbrake locks and if leaving it for a long period - make sure it's not down a dark side street! And finally make sure it's insured for its true value..especially with the way prices are rising.

I would buy the nicest example you can afford, use it as a fair weather/nicer parts of the year car, then it's charms stay as quirks and not annoyances :lol: That way you can also have fun with easier/more satisfying mods rather than diving headlong into something complicated that will kill your enthusiasm.
Mk3 Capri 1.6L retrorides thread

If it doesn't rattle ore shake; it's fallen off.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote:in the era where you actually had to drive the car......you know. like actually "feel" the brake pedal and moderate the throttle to suit conditions rather than rely on some ( fallable) gizmo to do the thinking for you. It all requires a level of skill that will give you a certain pleasure to both attain and use.....like being good at golf ( or whatever). Capris are a cool car ,can't be denied but you do need to have a higher skill level to do the basics than in a modern auto-everything car. If you want to embrace the driving experience
That's well put that is :) And part of the reason I just love to jump in and drive it.