Hub redrilling

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Hub redrilling

Post by ThatGuy »

Has anyone had they're hubs redrilled? Trying to get the a decent set of rims for my Capri in 4x108 is virtually impossibly and I plan on running fairly low offsets so don't want to use adaptors.
Is it something that's possible to do on your own? Or would a machining shop have to do it?
Cheers all
Ratty as fuck
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Re: Hub redrilling

Post by Daz-RSK »

As in to create a different stud pattern, you want to place extra holes in the hub ?

I would think you need to be careful there.

Obviously speak with someone who knows their salt on this - but to me, placing a further 2, 3, 4 extra holes, with all/some of the originals having the studs removed weakens the hub substance. That is not with knowledge I have - it's best guess. But anything that is removed from a safety aspect (and hub, studs are safety because of the forces they are subjected to), I would be careful.

Someone with better knowledge would know.

There are a lot of 4 x 108 on the market - a lot of FWD stuff, so I am guessing you've not found the style / offset needed ?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I guess drilling them must be possible but you would presumably need a pillar drill and some means of securing the hub to get the holes perfectly straight. Not sure how you get the spline in the hole though which grips the studs in place.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

Daz es exactly that, im after japanese wheels so either 4 or 5 x114.3. From what I've read when machining shops do it they usually just weld up the old holes and redrill the new ones.
Peter I've got a pillar drill or access to a proper man sized one if needs be, and arnt wheel studs just smashesinti the holes? Atleast that's how they were on my truck, when it came to replacing them you just hit the old ones out and hammered the new ones in, although I can't remember if the hubs were splined? The studs were that for sure haha
Ratty as fuck
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

ThatGuy wrote:Daz es exactly that, im after japanese wheels so either 4 or 5 x114.3. From what I've read when machining shops do it they usually just weld up the old holes and redrill the new ones.
Peter I've got a pillar drill or access to a proper man sized one if needs be, and arnt wheel studs just smashesinti the holes? Atleast that's how they were on my truck, when it came to replacing them you just hit the old ones out and hammered the new ones in, although I can't remember if the hubs were splined? The studs were that for sure haha
The holes in the hub are def splined
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Re drilling the hubs is not really an issue as long as the new holes a correctly spaced/positioned and for that reason I would go to a machine shop , however you can also multi stud the wheels as long as they have the same amount of holes,basically the holes are re machined into a slot......the width of the slot being exactly the same dimensions as the nut shank diameter thusly when all 4 or 5 nuts are fitted the wheel is held central. You cannot (in my opinion ) use this method to turn 4 stud wheels into 5 stud or vice versa as no matter how you do it one hole is way to close to one of the existing holes. This method requires the Capri type countersunk nuts be changed to a straight shank type of wheel nut. I think that this mod was probly aimed straight at peeps who wanted to fit 4 x110 Japanese wheels to. 4 X 108 English wheels as the diff is bugger all.
Please don't go fitting them 'orrible modern 19" things to your classic Ford........it's like putting your granny in a g string...... ( we need a barf I smilie)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh