thermostat housing advice please.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
johndavey11

thermostat housing advice please.

Post by johndavey11 »

hi, i need to replace the thermostat housing on my 1600 mk2. mine is steel? so maybe an aftermarket part? the only ones i can find on e bay and from other suppliers are alloy. will this still fit ok and they are secondhand.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: thermostat housing advice please.

Post by Paul G »

Most of the housings available now are alloy. I recently put one on my Laser. The only thing I would say is that the thermostat was a bit loose with the fitting kit they supplied with the housing, I'd suggest you buy a new thermostat kit of a good make as well.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

So went down mum & Dads today to start the Capri up and have a drive up and down the drive way .
I checked the water and oil like normal and noticed some white powder type & damp stuff around the Thermostat housing so stated her up and she’s fine left her running for a good 40 mins and all was fine so will need to have new coolant and a new hose and housing . Should there be anything else I should change ? :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Jason, before you go throwing good money on new parts may I suggest that you loosen the coolant hose clip about a quarter of a turn and then re-tighten it. Clean the old crud off it then give it a while (ie a few weeks) and see if it comes back or is leaking.

What anti-feeeze are you using? Capri's are best just on the old fashioned blue stuff at about 40% Anitfreeze /60 % water which is plenty strong enough for most temperatures seen in the UK and especially for your car which is garaged. This antifreeze mix should be drained and renewed every two years maximum.

Wrong or overstrong antifreeze is the usual cause of the build ups that you mention.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Cheers for that Paul yes Tickover noticed it last year and put a new jubilee clip on I just think the pipe has had its day as it could be the original . I will get them to flush out the coolent when they do the pipe .
Just looked on line might go for them posh pipes but in black . Did not know if to do the water pump at the same time ?
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

You've got more spare cash than I have mate! Hope youget it solved one way or another.

Paul.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Did not know if to do the water pump at the same time ?
Why bother if yours is working fine?
The part alone is £45 at Tickover, and that money would buy a lot of tea towels...... :lol:

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

your right just thought with having new coolent and thermostat I might get the water pump done at the same time .
When we was going down I did think perhaps I will tax her and give the old girl a run out but the weather looked like rain and also the salt on the roads .
Roll on summer .......... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: the weather looked like rain and also the salt on the roads .
Roll on summer .......... :beer:
Yes, same here. We've had lots of cold nights over the last week so the gritters have been out to play. Plus it didn't stop raining yesterday and today doesn't look much better......

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:[ Plus it didn't stop raining yesterday and today doesn't look much better......

Andrew.
Nice and bright this morning, much the same all day yesterday :tongue: :drive:

ImageJan 19 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote:
Nice and bright this morning, much the same all day yesterday :tongue: :drive:

ImageJan 19 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Lucky you, Peter!
But then, in the past, even a snow shower hasn't stopped you taking your stunning Laser out for a drive... :D

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Your only down the road peter and I see you had the sun . Was pants here yesterday but do have that sea side sun here today . But very cold as always she is looking stunning :beer:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I booked mine in for its service and few jobs to be done and having a new thermostat housing , also was talking about the fuel lines and Gus said most are fine and nothing to worry about as looking my tank seems ok and it’s coated in Dentrol from new but Gus said he will have a check .
So booked her in April 2nd as they have this north-east end guy coming in with his spotless Capri as he wants to eat his dinner of the engine , who was they talking about as I don’t remeber Steve saying he had booked his Capri in :lol:

All also having a new front left bumper override fitted as that’s got a small hair line crack and it’s been bugging me . As they done one at the back last year and it looks great :beer: