Who Is This?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Who Is This?

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:Staying with the music scene then - should give a bit of a clue :D - who are these 2 ?

And what about him ?

Doesn't look like Robert Plant :headscratch: but second pic is Jimmy Page
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

pbar wrote:Good ones :) Look suspiciously like Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page to me.
Well done! :woot:

Last one from me - and the images of this young man from around this era always foxes me. I have sincere difficulty relating the past to the present. See what you can do.

Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Daz-RSK wrote: Last one from me - and the images of this young man from around this era always foxes me. I have sincere difficulty relating the past to the present. See what you can do.

Looking nothing like most of us would know him I would have to go with Jimmy Greaves
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

Spot on!

I struggle with the pictures of him in the 1960's even when comparing him to the 1980s with St John on Football Focus, let alone now.

Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

[quote="Daz-RSK"]Spot on!

I struggle with the pictures of him in the 1960's even when comparing him to the 1980s with St John on Football Focus, let alone now.

I know what you mean, he's changed just a tad!

OK, possibly not too tricky really but it amuses me so ...

ImageDSCF6165 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Is that you peter lastweek ? :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Peter-S wrote:
Daz-RSK wrote:Spot on!

I know what you mean, he's changed just a tad!

OK, possibly not too tricky really but it amuses me so ...

ImageDSCF6165 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Keith Moon :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:
pbar wrote:Good ones :) Look suspiciously like Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page to me.
Well done! :woot:
Nice one Paul
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

andyd wrote:[Keith Moon :lol:
Yep, getting ready for a night out :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I thought you only had that little number on at the weekends . I did spot this and please note Andrew at the Top again :lol:

pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Great choices guys. And Moon the Loon, what a rock star. Where are the people like that now? These are the characters which inject life into what they do, the sanitised pc world needs to take a few steps back and allow the risk takers and fun and excitement back in.

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Great choices guys. And Moon the Loon, what a rock star. Where are the people like that now? These are the characters which inject life into what they do, the sanitised pc world needs to take a few steps back and allow the risk takers and fun and excitement back in.

Oh yes :cheers:
Managers now won't let them do anything out of the ordinary....Boring corporate crap :deadhorse:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I thought you only had that little number on at the weekends . I did spot this and please note Andrew at the Top again :lol:

I see you've made it into 17th place. A few more of those parties you hold on a Saturday night and you'll be at the top of the list with me.... :lol:

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I see I've made it in the list twice! Not guilty honestly !!! :lol: :gay: :lol: :drama: :beer:

Also see the man with the small willy came in at no 20!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

:lol: might get a little new number with tea towels made up , how the hell did we get here . Also going for top spot nextyear :lol:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Is that you peter lastweek ? :lol:

Nope, haven't got a whip ;)
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:Great choices guys. And Moon the Loon, what a rock star. Where are the people like that now? These are the characters which inject life into what they do, the sanitised pc world needs to take a few steps back and allow the risk takers and fun and excitement back in.

Oh yes :cheers:
Managers now won't let them do anything out of the ordinary....Boring corporate crap :deadhorse:
Yes, there was more colour in the characters back then, for sure. But was that because it was more of a blank page, rather than the characters being colourful ? As in, a lot of the acts were making their own headway as they went along and became colourful as a result.

The issue today, I think, is that we are saturated with most things have been done before and there are very few fresh ideas to make things better. What is the current music genre that is fashionable ? I don't know. Yet when I was a kid in the 1970/80s, the genres that came in and left were every 2 or 3 years.

This act have caught my ear in 2018. There are few today and I prefer to dwell on the past, like some of you. But this lot, to me, sound quite good / quite promising. Whether they make the success or not is another thing. It probably is cast off as old style music really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk90DHFlSyY
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Daz-RSK wrote:
The issue today, I think, is that we are saturated with most things have been done before and there are very few fresh ideas to make things better.
It is a part of it, but I don't think it's the main reason.

We have people like Simon Cowell who controls things to such a degree that he won't take risks. After all, why should he? He can make millions by marketing the next batch of X factors and guarantee hits and large sales, safely and easily. And when they come and go as most of them do, he will repeat the process.

Thank goodness it hasn't always been like this, because if it had, we would have had no Elvis, no Beatles, no Stones, no Sex Pistols, no Zeppelin, no Who, no Sabbath, no Bohemian Rhapsody, the list goes on.
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

Yes, I see what you are saying and there is this "X Factor" effect. Agreed.

People do still have to consume this rubbish though. As we always say in the motor industry - you can try to bend consumer opinion and lean them towards a product or even a style of product. Ultimately, there is no point in making stuff that people don't buy and no manufacturer has that power to make the consumer lean that way. They can persuade. But persuading and commitment are different things. The consumer has to commit and that commitment is a strong driver as to whether something flies or not.

Sometimes (I know not so often) the big marketing machine does fall over when people have said "Enough!"

In the music business, which is vastly more fickle than may other businesses, through life of more modern style (1950s on), there has been a rebellion of what has gone before. That's the reason why the different genres were set up. Probably the most significant rebellion was the Punk era that rebelled against the pomp and technically mind boggling rock acts that had gone before. Ultimately, it seems weird now that there were these rifts, when you see artists of 2 opposing genres of the past sit in the same show or whatever, when 30 or 40 years ago, they would strangle each other.

But consumers also got fed up with a what was current.

Back in the day, when there were these changeovers, there were 3 points that I recall as being dry years, bereft of imagination but more importantly (as there have been dry years before and lots after), forming the boring middle of a very interesting sandwich. 1971 / 1976 / 1983.

'71 because the Beatles had gone for good, Glam Rock had not really taken a hold yet, the Stones / Who / Kinks were becoming a bit old hat. The heavy rock acts, like Led, Purple & Sabbath started just pouring into the big live stuff, especially in the US and could be acts regarded as starting all the pomp that followed down the heavy and prog rock lines (the untouchable) and thought they were too good to produce singles (although I know that Deep Purple had some). But it was a bit of a void as we had Dawn telling us to Tie a Yellow Ribbon and The Searchers teaching the world to sing. I mean, this was pretty dry and uninspiring stuff that was popular. It lasted until T-Rex and Bowie sorted it all out for then for the doors to open down that path.

By '76, Glam Rock had finished, Punk was yet to get going and then we had Brotherhood of Man heading our charts and Sailor and all that dross. OK, through time, there has always been dross (sorry if people like that stuff - I find it all a bit uninspiring, that's all). They reckon that both 71 / 76 were dry years because there was too much of what you would call non earth shattering music. I mean, even the Stones themselves said they were washed up by 76 with Fool to Cry. OK, it could be regarded as a classic today but, IMHO, was a world away from Paint it Black and Pale Shelter. Shame that Ronnie Wood had just left the Faces to go into that group the year before to find he was now in a band that was washed up.

1983 is interesting year because again, there was nothing to hang your hat on. Pail Young did try to hang his hat on something but missed IMHO. Durans/Spandau, whilst still reasonably good, had lost their New Romantic hard edge and we bathed in the summer of 83 to Red Red Wine of UB40. I mean, it was all a bit bland. Then The Smiths came along and set a new genre off that really came to a crescendo through the Stone Roses into Oasis and Blur.

So there have been dry spots in time before and I can't go on through them all as the posts would not only be long, but also wildly off topic as it is. But there has been this void for over a decade now where the public just want bland. That's what they want to buy. I think online purchasing has driven some of that, Simon Cowell has, and we seem devoid of anything inspiring. But there is inspiration folks - it is there, but it is underground.

That's why I tune in every now and again to bands that I linked above (Shame), and others like War on Drugs (the track,Ocean beneath the Waves, is one of the best tracks I have heard this century) and Future Islands. There are a few others, but not the swathes I used to look towards in the past.

Sorry, this is way off topic. As you see, I have a bit of a passion for music, but not only the bands that form it, the concepts through time. I'll get off stage now! :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:
Back in the day, when there were these changeovers, there were 3 points that I recall as being dry years, bereft of imagination. 1971 / 1976 / 1983.
Don't forget the NWOBHM late 70's to early 80's.
The likes of; Saxon, Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Girlschool, Tank, Tygers of Pang Tang, Angelwitch, Def Leppard etc.
I was at just the right age (early teens) to be into most of these bands, along with Quo, Sabbath and Purple :D
And apart from Quo, they all p*ssed my parents off a little :lol:

All these bands went on to inspire the likes of Metallica who have had huge success...So must be remembered as a period in music history :cheers: