Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Another TV classic. Narrated by Richard Baker who recently passed away.

Yes I watched that one :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes loved that as a kid had a bloke at work we called mungo ... :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:

Edit - haha I missed that. You're a Quo fan as well ? Well I can't say no to Quo. Now I have seen them 50+ times over the years. They are also a great band, but again, if you are into that sort of R&B music. No doubt, Quo live is a great act to see and I have enjoyed it every time. I have most of their albums - not the later stuff so much.
Quo fan here too :wave:
Wish I had got to see the Frantic Four tours in 2013/14 :(
Too late now Rick has gone, and this explains alot (3 real rockers and Francis Rossi) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i6HgKuxbfM
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

You look back on this now and wonder WTF !! :lol:

https://youtu.be/_sBCJ7KQ7I0
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

andyd wrote:
Daz-RSK wrote:

Edit - haha I missed that. You're a Quo fan as well ? Well I can't say no to Quo. Now I have seen them 50+ times over the years. They are also a great band, but again, if you are into that sort of R&B music. No doubt, Quo live is a great act to see and I have enjoyed it every time. I have most of their albums - not the later stuff so much.
Too late now Rick has gone, and this explains alot (3 real rockers and Francis Rossi) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i6HgKuxbfM
You would have loved that. One of best gigs I ever went to, actually. I saw both 2013 and 2014 with the Frantic Four.

I'll watch that documentary as I have not seen that one.

The issue I had with the later Quo (although it had to move with the time - if that was possible for a 3 chord band :lol: ) was the entrance of the keyboards made the sound more melodic. When I saw the original line up in 13/14, the gig was based on the 1976 tour. This preceded Andy Bown as a permanent keyboardist for them and the sound was heavy. My god. The rhythm was astronomical! Here we go - a clip from that gig with 2 of my favourite Quo tracks. It's a shame now that this will never happen again, even if they wanted to. Lancaster is too ill, Rick gone. Unbelievable nights 5 yrs ago to bring back the taste of the 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQBgtZv3rlo

I have seen Quo since Rick has gone. The issue is/was Rick was the driving force of the band - the rhythm of that band. They reckon there is no better rhythm guitarist around like Rick. I don't know how you measure that - lead guitar contests are always raised as well as who is the best drummer. But I have never heard of a rhythm guitar stand off. :lol:
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:You look back on this now and wonder WTF !! :lol:

Flippin 'eck. How did that make children's tea time TV ? There was something exceptionally seedy about 1970s TV. I am sure that they were all trying to have one over the TV bosses. No honest boss - this is a straight programme.

Here's another raunchy.....erm gem.....from that era. Skip to 4:20. If you just listen and don't watch, you'd think it was some bedroom scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kthC-ZLX6sY
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

Who remembers (I don't know whether this has already been posted - apologies if it has been - I haven't looked back through 30 pages :D )

So this name went out in the 1990's - bit of an icon itself.

This lot went nearly 40 yrs ago.

andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:You look back on this now and wonder WTF !! :lol:

Drugs were drugs then :lol:
I rememder it great stuff, look at all the comments on there comparing 70's kids tv to todays crap.....
andyd

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:
Here's another raunchy.....erm gem.....from that era. Skip to 4:20. If you just listen and don't watch, you'd think it was some bedroom scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kthC-ZLX6sY
:cheers:
Daz-RSK wrote:Who remembers (I don't know whether this has already been posted - apologies if it has been - I haven't looked back through 30 pages :D )

So this name went out in the 1990's - bit of an icon itself.

Very poular sign once
This lot went nearly 40 yrs ago.

Smurfs....Never really a fan, and they did a record too.
Daz-RSK wrote:
andyd wrote:
Daz-RSK wrote:

You would have loved that. One of best gigs I ever went to, actually. I saw both 2013 and 2014 with the Frantic Four.

I'll watch that documentary as I have not seen that one.

The issue I had with the later Quo (although it had to move with the time - if that was possible for a 3 chord band :lol: ) was the entrance of the keyboards made the sound more melodic. When I saw the original line up in 13/14, the gig was based on the 1976 tour. This preceded Andy Bown as a permanent keyboardist for them and the sound was heavy. My god. The rhythm was astronomical! Here we go - a clip from that gig with 2 of my favourite Quo tracks. It's a shame now that this will never happen again, even if they wanted to. Lancaster is too ill, Rick gone. Unbelievable nights 5 yrs ago to bring back the taste of the 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQBgtZv3rlo

I have seen Quo since Rick has gone. The issue is/was Rick was the driving force of the band - the rhythm of that band. They reckon there is no better rhythm guitarist around like Rick. I don't know how you measure that - lead guitar contests are always raised as well as who is the best drummer. But I have never heard of a rhythm guitar stand off. :lol:
Backwater is one of my favorites, and I have Quo Live from 1976 on tape in the Capri....This was their heyday :guitar:
I saw them in '84 and was about 10ft from Rick :D Remember him giving me the thumbs up, again in '86 with Queen at Knebworth and '07 in Plymouth.
Andy Bown is a nice guy etc, but he makes it sound like Chas and Dave, ontop of that Rossi's pop preference you can see why many fans inc myself prefer pre 1980 Quo. They became a bit of a cabaret act in the late 80's and 90's...
Parfitt was great and some of the tunings he came up with were brilliant, sadly missed and not the same now so I don't watch anything post 2016. First single I got was Caroline and I was hooked on the opening riff and still love to watch Rick bash it out on Youtube and incredible live too :guitar: Where did you see them in 13/14 ?
Last edited by andyd on Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I remember the National petrol, we had a Rover/Triumph garage nearby that sold it. If I tremember they used to give away a smurf toy with a few gallons of petrol, just like Esso gave away the drinking glasses. (Still got a couple of them!)
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:I remember the National petrol, we had a Rover/Triumph garage nearby that sold it. If I tremember they used to give away a smurf toy with a few gallons of petrol, just like Esso gave away the drinking glasses. (Still got a couple of them!)
I remember that Paul, before petrol stations became supermarkets :?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Daz-RSK wrote:
I have seen Quo a couple of times. There were supporting Queen on one of them, what a gig that was :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Nice inclusion with Fingerbobs Nick, another real classic that was.

Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

andyd wrote: Backwater is one of my favorites, and I have Quo Live from 1976 on tape in the Capri....This was their heyday :guitar:
I saw them in '84 and was about 10ft from Rick :D Remember him giving me the thumbs up, again in '86 with Queen at Knebworth and '07 in Plymouth.
Andy Bown is a nice guy etc, but he makes it sound like Chas and Dave, ontop of that Rossi's pop preference you can see why many fans inc myself prefer pre 1980 Quo. They became a bit of a cabaret act in the late 80's and 90's...
Parfitt was great and some of the tunings he came up with were brilliant, sadly missed and not the same now so I don't watch anything post 2016. First single I got was Caroline and I was hooked on the opening riff and still love to watch Rick bash it out on Youtube and incredible live too :guitar: Where did you see them in 13/14 ?
I saw them at Hammersmith, both years, when they reformed, Andy.

I also was privileged enough to go to see them at the Roundhouse in 2014 as well when they did their acoustic set for Radio 2. But I went to the friends and family night.

One of my mates, who I went to most of the Quo gigs with, got me into this. The session percussionist for the Quo during that acoustic period that they did was the brother of one of my mate's friends. She managed to get 4 tickets and there we were, with the Quo's family and friends, the preceding night of the Radio 2 gig. It was the the warm up gig. They had a load of session musicians to help them out with the sound and it just so happened that someone not so far removed from me/my mate was in the band for a period. It was quite an intimate gig with only a few hundred people. Then they came out into the crowd to have a chat with the audience.

In fairness, they all had their families and close friends with them, so made a B Line for them. But I would have had a chat if we weren't so far down the picking list. In fact we did speak to Bob Young who wrote a lot of their stuff and played the harmonica on a lot of the early stuff as well. Great to talk to him as I don't ever recall seeing him on stage (apart from the 2013/14 Frantic Four gigs when he came on). Whilst I followed their stuff from the late 1970s, I didn't see them live until the 2nd wave in the band (I guess) in 1987. So I never witnessed, live, Alan Lancaster on the bass before 2013.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:
I saw them at Hammersmith, both years, when they reformed, Andy.

I also was privileged enough to go to see them at the Roundhouse in 2014 as well when they did their acoustic set for Radio 2. But I went to the friends and family night.
Nice one :)
In the 70's and 80's many big bands would do Bristol and Cornwall areas, but now a UK Tour is mostly Manchester, Birmingham and London :(
You have to travel along way which is a pain and extra expense on top of the ticket price...

When we went to Knebworth in '86, the coach picked us up at 06.00 on the Saturday and we got home around the same time on the Sunday :roll:
Having watched Queen from the back on the video screen so we could get out quickly, we were still queing for hours on the coach :doh:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
When we went to Knebworth in '86
Queen's last gig, nice one Andy, you were a part of history. Think I have a backstage pass from that gig.

I saw them a couple of times on that tour, Manchester and Paris.

Would have loved to have seen them on a theatre tour in the 70s.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
When we went to Knebworth in '86
Queen's last gig, nice one Andy, you were a part of history. Think I have a backstage pass from that gig.

I saw them a couple of times on that tour, Manchester and Paris.

Would have loved to have seen them on a theatre tour in the 70s.
32 years ago Paul :shock:

I had the Wembley gig on VHS :)
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

andyd wrote:
Daz-RSK wrote:

I'm lucky enough to have caught a Frantic Four gig. First time I saw them was Hammersmith in 1986 so hadn't seen the original line up previously. To finally do it years later was great. The wife was less thrilled as she seems to prefer some of the more 'poppy' stuff they did later :(
For the FF show we were pretty high up in the rafters and I was looking down wondering who the old grey haired guy coming on stage with the band was but if course it was Alan Lancaster!
I remember seeing Quo at the old Wembley Stadium in July 1991. Joe cocker was support and Rod Stewart top billing. Rained half the day and was one of the coldest July days I can remember but still a great show.
Also saw them at the O2 for a Last Night of the Electrics show. We'd bought the tickets before Rick had to pull out but went anyway. They were still pretty good but Rhino got to do some of the vocals. It was a bit like another band doing Quo.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

Yes, it's now a shame that only Francis is the original member and Rhino / Andy Bown as long standing members. It starts to feel like Dr Feelgood (no pun intended :D ) Where do you draw the line that are we now seeing a tribute of the former real act ?

I have been to one gig since Rick went and it was OK. But the personnel make it the band we want to see when going to a live gig, not the music per se. The music is good but you do want to see the real people. Otherwise, go and see a tribute act who have probably perfected the group's music better live than the real act.

I bet, Paul, you have not see the Queen re-incarnations since Freddie's departure ? If you have, good on you. But I could sympathise with anyone (and John Deacon) why 1991 was the end of Queen.

The act I would like to see still of the Quo set is John Coughlan's Quo. I get a sense that because he left in 1981, all of the material before that time was a bit heavier, therefore, is going to be a bit more on the ball, than maybe the latest real set line up. I recognise now that we are drifting heavily into tribute acts, with both sets. But it's more palatable to pay £25 for a gig than £50 when you know the reason that more money can be charged is because it's the real thing. That's where I now have some difficulty with the Quo band.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:Yes, it's now a shame that only Francis is the original member and Rhino / Andy Bown as long standing members. It starts to feel like Dr Feelgood (no pun intended :D ) Where do you draw the line that are we now seeing a tribute of the former real act ?
Not much after 1980 was worth buying imo, but many fans still like them....

Before he died Rick called the line up 'Quo Lite', so we have every reason to agree :)
Heavy Quo (Frantic Four) was what he liked along with Coghlan and Lancaster.
Rossi was amazing on the FF Tour but he just wasn't really into it :? His facisnation with the more melodic pop tunes has overcome him....
I would love to be able to play like he does, but Rick was and always will be Quo to me!