Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by Daz-RSK »

Thanks for the clarification Paul. :D

You clearly know your Queen - you must have been a bit more than an armchair fan. I didn't realise that the group had called the track Bo Rhap. I thought it was just a more modern way they seem to refer to it. So I learned something there.

Sorry - what I meant about the break ups - the film incorrectly portrayed them breaking up. I had little knowledge to refute that as I didn't know. I think most people would be the same unless you are quite a fan, got their albums, saw them tour etc. It's a long time ago and even if people remember that they toured all of the time, to remember the break ups (if there were any) would be difficult to average Joe. So I went along with the film on that one, unfortunately, as I just can't recall it.

BUT to get that wrong and the fact that his voice was croaking before Live Aid because they hadn't toured in years when in fact, they had just come off a tour months before - that is unforgivable.

It's a shame - you're spoiling my thought that it was a good film Paul. :lol: Now I am hearing the truths, it was a bunch of fiction in places, it's ruined - I wasted £20, never again will I go to the cinema to see a film based on fact when most of it was fantasy. My days are ruined at the cinema now - forever. :lol:
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

I had to look up what No 1 single was from Hot Space as I didn't recall them getting to No 1 in 82/83.

Now I know! :cool: It must have been an early single while the album was being made. As you say though - worst album and still gets to No 4 and has a No 1 single. I think most bands would settle for that on their best album.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Thanks Daz :) And yes, it's such a shame that the powers that be decided to make changes, especially when all of the changes add nothing to the film, the Queen/Mercury story is amazing as it is. Why not just do it right?

One review I read of the film (after I'd seen it, made a point of not reading any beforehand) was that you may be constantly bewildered at some of the inaccuracies as the film goes on, but your jaw will hit the floor with the changes by the end.

And that's very true!

The things which are just plain wrong (e.g. croaking voice, his illness, lack of live gigs, reformation, etc.) were added to make Live Aid appear something to them which it just wasn't. Very sad that they chose this route actually.

Incredible when you think that May and Taylor were heavily involved in the film, I am assuming that their input was limited and the high flying movie producers had ultimate control.

The film took years, had at least three actors playing Freddie and the director (Bryan Singer of X-Men fame) was sacked before it was finished, another director finishing it off. Singer still had director's credit under the industry rules.
pbar

Post by pbar »

You're quite right Daz, in that the passing fan or general lover of music may not be aware, or be bothered about the changes made, and that's fine as long as you enjoy it, that's what life is about after all.

But the Queen story is such a prominent one as the group is so high profile. And that's the problem, so many people WILL be aware, and will sit there bewildered as the short haired moustached Freddie records We Will Rock You, several years before he took on that image! And so on.

I am desperate for a director's cut or an 'accurate cut', where it's all corrected. Apparently they shot a lot of scenes which were left out of the film due to running time (Freddie composing Crazy Little Thing Called Love for example which he famously did in the bath), so it wouldn't be so hard to simply edit the wrong things out and make up the time I think, without even filming anything new.

I live in hope.
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

That would be interesting - a director's cut of this. I hope that something like this is available for people like you and others who were close to the workings of the group can pull it apart. That would be quite telling.

It's incredible that a couple of the band members had input into the film and then these inaccuracies are spilling out. How did that happen ? It must have been, as you say, that they weren't listened to or listened to but the producer thought that real life was too boring to play out on screen. Something went wrong there.

What with the change of personnel in the filming, also may be a telling point. Perhaps some of those guys didn't like the way it was heading. Who knows.

So with all the lead up to Live Aid and the manager saying there is only one slot left, take it or leave it but they need to decide now, because they had left it so late - did that really happen ? The film made out that (erroneously) they hadn't toured or been friends for a long time. But clearly that wasn't it. Was it that they had just come off tour and couldn't decide whether they could make the Live Aid ? Or was that all staged for the film and actually, they agreed a long time back to be part of the Live Aid line up ?

Looking back now, you realise that Live Aid was made for them. His persona could not have been out-shone by anyone and the fact that by 1985, they were so established. For completely different reasons than persona (for obvious reasons when you see who I suggest :D ), only Pink Floyd would have been the other band that would had rivaled Queen for presence at the show. But they were going through their "divorce" at the time.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Pink Floyd are a big name Daz, but just don't have the hits to wow a general music crowd at a festival type concert such as Live Aid. Queen did have the songs which everyone knew. I mean, it wasn't a Queen audience yet look at them during Radio Ga Ga, that was phenomenal. Plus, Floyd's music, on the whole, is, well, compared to Queen, Quo, etc. slow and dull.

There was no drama (one slot left, take it or leave it, decide now!) as to them taking part. Geldof simply invited them, same as the other groups.

Queen's Works tour began in August '84 and ended in May '85, it was large scale and 1984 was their most successful year at that point. So all the reforming for Live Aid, can we, can't we, etc. in the film is a farce really.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I'm glad that I read this as I was going to see the film. I won't be bothering now. Trust Hollywood to take something factual and fuck it up.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Caprigear wrote: Trust Hollywood to take something factual and fuck it up.
Obviously the truth wasn't entertaining enough :headscratch:
pbar

Post by pbar »

I still can't believe a line in the film, spoken by one of the band members - can we really pull this off, we haven't played together for years.

Yet, their 48 date Works tour finished just 60 days (with a concert in Osaka) before their Live Aid performance.

Bonkers.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:I still can't believe a line in the film, spoken by one of the band members - can we really pull this off, we haven't played together for years.

Yet, their 48 date Works tour finished just 60 days (with a concert in Osaka) before their Live Aid performance.

Bonkers.
May, Deacon and Taylor must have had some say in the final edit? You would hope they would say when something was incorrect :?
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:I still can't believe a line in the film, spoken by one of the band members - can we really pull this off, we haven't played together for years.

Bonkers.
May, Deacon and Taylor must have had some say in the final edit? You would hope they would say when something was incorrect :?
May and Taylor especially, were executive producers I think. Can only assume they were either talked round to the changes or over ranked by the powers that be.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
May and Taylor especially, were executive producers I think. Can only assume they were either talked round to the changes or over ranked by the powers that be.
If that was the case I'm dissapointed in them :( I wonder if Freddie would have settled for it :?: :!: F*+k off Darling :lol:
Last edited by andyd on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Here is a recent picture of Queen bassist John Deacon. Reportedly worth £105 million.

Probably the greatest rock star ever, he's had it all, and has it all, yet can go and get a paper and no one knows who he is!

Last edited by pbar on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Here is a recent picture of Queen bassist John Deacon. Reportedly worth £105 million.

Probably the greatest rock star ever, he's had it all, and has it all, yet can go and get a paper and no one knows who he is!

I would have to look twice at him, but fairplay he can go about his life now :cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

I did read in one of the biographies that Deacon wanted to buy a Ford Capri in Queen's heyday, but Mercury put him off saying it wasn't rock star enough.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:I did read in one of the biographies that Deacon wanted to buy a Ford Capri in Queen's heyday, but Mercury put him off saying it wasn't rock star enough.
I always thought FM was a little peculiar :shock:
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

pbar wrote:Pink Floyd are a big name Daz, but just don't have the hits to wow a general music crowd at a festival type concert such as Live Aid. Queen did have the songs which everyone knew. I mean, it wasn't a Queen audience yet look at them during Radio Ga Ga, that was phenomenal. Plus, Floyd's music, on the whole, is, well, compared to Queen, Quo, etc. slow and dull.

Whoah - fighting talk. :lol: Is Queen better than Floyd or t'other way about ? :D

It is subjective really. They are so different. Queen were more of a commercial pop band that dived into the heavy rock every so often. They wanted the success from the outset and they got success. They got the hits and their music was very listenable from the off, if you were into that sort of music. Loads of people were, I don't disagree.

Conversely Floyd were never out for success but got it by the bucket load. Syd Barrett never wanted to be on ToTP and when they had the first single hit, he shied away and didn't want to be there on camera. But the success of the band caught up with their shyness.

DSotM is one of the biggest selling albums of all time, yet no single from it. Now that is admirable to not have any singles on the radio promoting your album and sell by the bucket load. I think only Led Zep 4 holds a similar accolade, in terms of volume and no singles

I am at an unfortunate loss on this, so I would expect my opinion to be biased. I never saw Queen live. I saw the Freddie tribute in 92 after he died, with Taylor and May, but not Queen. I saw Floyd at Knebworth in 1990 when they headlined all the biggest acts (as in long timers from Clapton, McCartney, Elton, Cliff, Led Zep members etc - anyone who had been in the business for 20+ years at that stage).

The commercial hits aren't with the Floyd. But the sound is phenomenal. Just the pure depth. And Comfortably Numb is not only reckoned to be one of the best guitar solos of all time, it also is rated as one of the best tracks of all time.

The biggest Tribute Act in the world today, for both album sales (obviously piggy backing off the main act) and audience attendance is Ozzy Pink Floyd. That tells you the depth of their music. I admired Queen for what they achieved but if you think I am going to watch some pomped up Mercury lookalike with a yellow multi-belted jacket and tracksuit bottoms that exists today as a memory of that act. I am sorry but that's not for me. :)

There'll never be agreement because they are polarised. I admire both but for different reasons. I won't knock both - I see positives for each band. But they don't crossover. But drawing a line in the sand, it's PF for me, just through sheer quality.

Edit - haha I missed that. You're a Quo fan as well ? Well I can't say no to Quo. Now I have seen them 50+ times over the years. They are also a great band, but again, if you are into that sort of R&B music. No doubt, Quo live is a great act to see and I have enjoyed it every time. I have most of their albums - not the later stuff so much. But again, if you were to place which I like the best - Quo or PF - still the latter for me. I think some of this is that Quo and Queen's music has been played to death over the years and it's all so familiar. There are still a bundle of unheard tracks from bands like Floyd who were never that commercial.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

The image of the late Ford Capris back in the day 5 minutes 25 in.

https://youtu.be/hEv6-C-9qD0
pbar

Post by pbar »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:The image of the late Ford Capris back in the day 5 minutes 25 in.

https://youtu.be/hEv6-C-9qD0
Hey my avatar image on the right is a screenshot I took from that very episode :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Another TV classic. Narrated by Richard Baker who recently passed away.