Discuss Saxty's Book - The Cars You Always Promised Yourself

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Discuss Saxty's Book - The Cars You Always Promised Yourself

Post by Jasonmarie »

Have left a review and thanks Steve I will re visited this book as reference and facts that I never knew .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

Jasonmarie wrote:Have left a review and thanks Steve I will re visited this book as reference and facts that I never knew .
Thanks - I hope it was fun to write up the review!
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Video Review of Steve Saxty's book

Post by Steve Saxty »

Just the thing for a glass of wine on a Sunday night - here's me excitedly talking through the book when I first got my copy. https://www.stevesaxty.com/design-video ... p-jmw8x6vr#
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

Hi Steve, I’m really enjoying your great book bringing back many memories!

At the moment I’m on the xr4i story and remember in the late 80s at secondary school; my CDT teacher (technology) who was an avid Ford owner, had a small collection of cars, one being a black XR4i.

He always said that his was one of the first 20, yet he could never find any press articles on it which he found a mystery....until now!

He owned JVX 2Y.

As far as I know he hasn’t retired yet (and don’t know if he since found any literature with his Sierra) I know he’d be happy to hear that his old car has been mentioned somewhere (and no doubt buy your book too).

The last time I saw this Sierra was back in 2003 when I took my Capri to FordFair; by then he already sold it on and the subsequent owner fitted the Granada 24v engine.
It’s taxed and mot’d so looks to have survived!
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve Saxty »

Pas28i wrote:Hi Steve, I’m really enjoying your great book bringing back many memories!

At the moment I’m on the xr4i story and remember in the late 80s at secondary school; my CDT teacher (technology) who was an avid Ford owner, had a small collection of cars, one being a black XR4i.

He always said that his was one of the first 20, yet he could never find any press articles on it which he found a mystery....until now!

He owned JVX 2Y.

As far as I know he hasn’t retired yet (and don’t know if he since found any literature with his Sierra) I know he’d be happy to hear that his old car has been mentioned somewhere (and no doubt buy your book too).

The last time I saw this Sierra was back in 2003 when I took my Capri to FordFair; by then he already sold it on and the subsequent owner fitted the Granada 24v engine.
It’s taxed and mot’d so looks to have survived!

I'm glad you're enjoying it - what's been fun is to watch the tribalism of old disappear - now Capri owners happy to read about Sierra and vice versa. I spoke to Allen Patch at the XROC and that XR4i is still around and now running a Cosworth 24V V6, owned by a chap with two of those press cars.
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve Saxty »

Those nice people at Autocar did this tonight - take a look, all without buying the book you get to see the RS2800 and 2003 Capri! https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/sec ... never-made
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Post by dan the capri fan »

This book sounds fantastic and the cover looks amazing. How do I get my hands on one as a nice Christmas present for myself. Are they available in any book shops like waterstones etc? :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

dan the capri fan wrote:This book sounds fantastic and the cover looks amazing. How do I get my hands on one as a nice Christmas present for myself. Are they available in any book shops like waterstones etc? :)
Hi Dan,
If you go on to the CCI website there is a link to enter into a draw to win a copy of the book.

Andrew.
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve Saxty »

dan the capri fan wrote:This book sounds fantastic and the cover looks amazing. How do I get my hands on one as a nice Christmas present for myself. Are they available in any book shops like waterstones etc? :)
They are only available from the publisher as if Waterstones and the rest had added their margins it would have been £90 and likely too expensive for many at that price. Here’s the link. https://porterpress.co.uk/collections/ford-collection
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve Saxty »

I just updated the book's website BTW here - https://www.stevesaxty.com

And so good news, the publisher is doing a Christmas promotion on their books - free shipping in the UK! The code is <<freeshipping>> which you apply here at https://www.stevesaxty.com/buyit
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

I've got a brain picker, as with the sierra and Granada 2.0 8v i4, I was wondering why this engine was fitted with 16v pistons?? Is it a case of the rs2k engine was draughted up at the same time and it was cost cutting by ford to put the 16v pistons in the 8v variants so they aren't having 2 lots of pistons?
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve Saxty »

Cost saving is usually the reason for most things back then!
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

I thought it would be just as much :lol:
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve Saxty »

I case anyone's following this thread here's two recent reviews I posted elsewhere on the book - I was rather impressed to see what the premium mags had to say about Ford cars....