Nice mk2 2.0GL on ebay

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Nice mk2 2.0GL on ebay

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:I had my neighbour pop in today who is a real petrol head , he made me watch “ Harry’s garage “ on you tube
https://youtu.be/n-zkHtgmAOM
It’s the 2nd car on the link .

Looks like some very nice cars for sale .
:wub: I think that's the car from off the coast of Scotland that was advertised recently.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:I also agree. But there are some tell tale signs in gauging the mileage of the car.

FWIW, I think this one has done the mileage stated but the owner has undone some good work to prove it. I'll show you.

Go to that picture of the pedals / floor and you'll see what I mean.

The pedals, halfway up, are not consistent in "muck" / "grime" as the rubbers. The clutch one in particular. One of the best ways of masking the mileage is to fit new rubbers to the pedal.

When I was more nearer the trade, back in the day, you would spray the pedals as well - but that is not what I am referring to as to why the advert is little undone in the genuine aspect.

But notice the grime on that clutch pedal. How deep seated is that ? OK, so a hop in from wet day where there was a bit of muck on the floor, and if you wipe that clutch pedal, it should come off, with no deep grazing. If there is deep grazing, time to walk away. 1000 miles should not have constant clutch pedal abuse to that level.

But there is something else. Look at the interior door shut - the plastic protector. Now that has seen some action.

It could all still be innocent and as you have said, why do people not look through the photos before they place them up and ask "What's wrong with this?"

Why do I think it is genuine - bit of a hunch really. Some people like to show warts and all. The car is 30+ years old and that dust on the pedals is superficial, I bet. The kick panel / protector has probably seen some action from someone trying to get in and out of the car, not necessarily to drive it - maybe shunt it out of the garage.
I would want to see pics of the engine bay and rear of the car before I bid on it.....
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Is that the one that had different locks eachside ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:Is that the one that had different locks eachside ?
This is the car from way up North, in the video link (Scroll down a little) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-3 ... 7675.l2557
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I thought we had seen that before Andy ,also there’s this one on eBay and yes I would say yes ....
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2842018948
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:I thought we had seen that before Andy ,also there’s this one on eBay and yes I would say yes ....
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2842018948
:cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:This is the car from way up North, in the video link (Scroll down a little) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-3 ... 7675.l2557
I know I always say that buyers should be willing to travel to buy the right car, but Stornoway is a little too far for most people, I think.
Great looking car though!

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I had my neighbour pop in today who is a real petrol head , he made me watch “ Harry’s garage “ on you tube
https://youtu.be/n-zkHtgmAOM
It’s the 2nd car on the link .

Looks like some very nice cars for sale .
Fishnet headrests too.... :lowrider: :D

Andrew.
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

Andy - oh agreed - we need more pictures of everywhere around that 2.0GL before you could make a full assessment, for sure.

But exterior, IMHO, doesn't always give age/mileage away as well as interior parts. The car could sit in a damp area or for the first miles of its life or have oil/water splashing around the bay that might give the false impression that the vehicle is higher miles than it is. Not that the latter is quite so likely. But mine has probably done 6000 miles in near 20 years and the engine bay is pretty horrible. But then I did inherit and fairly grim engine bay 15 years ago when it had done 80k miles to that date. :D But it has got worse from doing nothing.

Alternatively, it could have been fully restored. There are plenty of people's motors on here who have covered 60k+ miles and look as good as new. Now that is a hidden secret, if someone wanted to pass off their 60,000 miler as being of 5k miles.

Interior is a tricky one. You can't hide ageing from sun and usage, unless you refurnish the car. That could be a little difficult. Steering wheel, gear knob, pedals, seats, entry/exit points and scuffs all start to build a story. If I was serious for that one or for anything that is casting itself to be quite a fresh motor, I would be looking for the build receipt that is hidden in the car as well. Now that would show some originality.

But absolutely agreed with you - more pics required on this one.

Going back up the thread a bit to whether you would buy one of these as a daily instead of a garage queen or a weekend only motor - I did consider a Sierra before I bought the Mondeo to crash through 30k miles per year. The Sierra I would be looking at would be £5000, maybe more. Apart from 1980's design vs a motor of 8/10 years old, why would there be a difference if you were sure it was a looked after example that could do that work ? Yes, some Sierra owners would think it is sacrilege to start the rep mileage on a 30 yr old motor that is considered a classic. But it wouldn't phase me.

What I like about older motors is that they are simple to work on. What I dislike is that the simple stuff you have to work on, you have to complete more frequently. So it does mean the bonnet up every 3 weeks and get on with that job, instead of bonnet up every 3 months and scratch your head about where to start on the latest gremlin.

But we are seeing this now in the agricultural industry and I feel it will filter down to cars. There is now a disliking for tractors and other farm equipment when they started getting technical, some 20 yrs ago, and no longer was a nut / bolt required to fix something. Instead, you need one of those clever electronic boxes. The fix ? Whoaaaahhhh! Well, £1000s.

I was just picking up an alloy wheel from another Mondeo owner for mine and he was stating why he was selling it - he no longer had his 03 plate Mondeo because it went to the metal heaven place after the body control unit started playing up. The car was fine. The Control unit was a major though and that piece of electric box wrote off his car. We'll see more and more of that as the motors move through electronic evolution.

There is no control unit on a Capri and very limited stuff on a Sierra. For me, that's one headache that doesn't write off your motor. That means that a 1987 Sierra to do the mileage and if looked after, do more years, would not be a bad move. Well, in my head it is! :D

Edit:- sorry, and just to add - 2018 has seen more MOT failures and cars being scrapped than any year previous. This is because the MOT regs got tighter in May 2018 and with any dashboard warning light that appears on the motor - Engine mgt light, airbag, other stuff - it's an instant fail. It's also sometimes costly to fix. It's also an instant fail if they don't illuminate of the self check before start up. So no more bulb removal to get you across the line.

Gives you something to ponder - is it now worth operating an older motor that has less to fail on ?

Sorry for me dragging the thread off topic - I was just entertaining the item - would you buy an older car as a daily runner, mentioned further back.
Last edited by Daz-RSK on Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:

Edit:- sorry, and just to add - 2018 has seen more MOT failures and cars being scrapped than any year previous. This is because the MOT regs got tighter in May 2018 and with any dashboard warning light that appears on the motor - Engine mgt light, airbag, other stuff - it's an instant fail. It's also sometimes costly to fix. It's also an instant fail if they don't illuminate of the self check before start up. So no more bulb removal to get you across the line.

Gives you something to ponder - is it now worth operating an older motor that has less to fail on ?

So for me dragging the thread off topic - I was just entertaining the item - would you buy an older car as a daily runner, mentioned further back.
I wouldn't have a problem running an older car on a daily basis, although if a nice example I would have to be desperate to use a carpark with all the ignorant drivers that smash their doors into whatever is parked alongside :banghead:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

The way my wife drives we need a modern cars or buses . We might be looking for a new car nextyear we might get the ford transit mini bus as they now do the automatic as long as it feels as good as the Mercedes it will be on our list .

Then I have not got to worry about MOT for a few years , had mine done this week on our bus and it passed with no problems
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:So for me dragging the thread off topic - I was just entertaining the item - would you buy an older car as a daily runner, mentioned further back.
My daily driver is over 14 years old, does that count?

It seems strange that so many cars are being scrapped before they are 10 years old, but with all the electronics and that sort of stuff on board modern cars they are just too costly to repair. I can't see owners of those sorts of cars running classics if they are not enthusiastic owners. I think you need to be an enthusiast and be immersed in the experience of car ownership to run a classic. A lot of people these days don't give cars any more thought than they would give the white goods in their kitchen. They see cars as no more than modes of transport, hardly anybody seems to go out for the thrill of a drive. Except us enthusiasts, of course.

Andrew.
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

I think, Andrew, it's a bit worse than this. There is this underhand / out of sight agenda by the govt (UK / Europe) to rid the roads of middle age motors. It really is a con. By picking on these people, they are the easy target.

So what I mean is this - there are a number of classic car owners in the UK. They tend to be passionate about their motors, they don't drive them far either, therefore, to be slapped with some heavy handed MOT reg and heavy fisted road tax, this would carve out a swathe of people who would rightly question what's going wrong here. It's easier to prey to the people with 20/25yr old motors because they probably bought them as a budget motor and one day, those would croak anyway. They are just bargain cars. The next stop was the scrappy - so let's push them along a little.

The irony here stinks. The 40 yr MOT/ Tax free rule is keeping all of these polluters safe, but the coffin nail is never far from the vehicles in the middle territory of age. That middle territory is getting wider. Today, many 2005 motors have to be scrapped, tomorrow, 2010 motors and so on. What there has to be hope of is that the vehicle can withstand 40 yrs without major dilemma for the owner(s) who have had those vehicles and then they are probably home an dry for another 30 years with ease. No more engine management light checks or other things that deem it a failure.

The fact is that the govt preach all pre Euro 6 motors are polluters and the govt would love all of us to buy new cars on the tick. But they are silent about the pre 1978, the worst polluters, because that would wrangle a lot of people, who, rightly, have invested in their pride and joy.

If you still are struggling to follow this hypocrisy, let me give you something more stark. The 13 yr old motor today, the highest tax band would cost them £315. The 12 year old, the high tax band is £550. That is a significant jump and one that has not since closed. There is no agenda to close this.

Why ?

Because not only do the high polluting 2006 motors face a heavy MOT, they also have to justify their £550 existence on the road each year. So £1650 over 3 years. Is someone really going to buy a car for £750 and tax it for 2 years at over £1000 ? I doubt it. There is only one way for the motor.

In 28 years time, that motor drops from £550 (if it still is with us) - or whatever the equivalent inflationary rate in tax is in 2046 - to £0. How ironic is that - from the most expensive to the cheapest in one day. That, people, is the govt at play to rid the roads of menacing vehicles and for us to buy non polluters. Ooohhhh....hopefully you won't drive your Capri that far because they have staked all the incentives on these 40+ yr olds.

And in part, that is why I would take on a 1983 Sierra to munch the miles in order to unravel the govt agenda here. A high polluter that should be worth £550 road tax, but isn't, and soon, I can start driving it, for free, through the centre of London and every other city that imposes a congestion charge, with no MOT / tax to worry about and almost stick 2 fingers up at the cack handed agenda this govt has on this.

Sorry for sitting on the fence over this subject. :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The auction for this Mk2 is live, if anybody wants to follow it. It's due to end on Wednesday evening.

https://themarket.co.uk/listings/ford/c ... tatus=live

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:The auction for this Mk2 is live, if anybody wants to follow it. It's due to end on Wednesday evening.

https://themarket.co.uk/listings/ford/c ... tatus=live

Andrew.
£8500 reserve not met!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:https://themarket.co.uk/listings/ford/c ... tatus=live

£8500 reserve not met!
About what I expected, I thought £15,000 was a little fanciful.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:https://themarket.co.uk/listings/ford/c ... tatus=live

£8500 reserve not met!
About what I expected, I thought £15,000 was a little fanciful.

Andrew.
Reality check :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Wrong time of year now to sell as everybody is looking at xmas . Still looking for my son but there is some rubbish around .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Still looking for my son but there is some rubbish around .
I thought you'd given up on a Capri for your son?

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes sorry we have been looking at fiestas around the 2005-2008 petrols . But when you check MOT there rubbish or have been written off . His girlfriend is going to university so will be around 40 miles away next September so he needs a car .