Project Boot Resto - UPDATE 12/9/2018

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Project Boot Resto - UPDATE 12/9/2018

Post by andyd »

I use one of these now https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p14836 ... gKoJfD_BwE And torque wrench to tighten correctly.
For years I was doing the wheel nuts far too tight, to the stage of standing on the wheel brace to loosen :doh: Older and wiser :D
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Much quicker with those Andy, as you can quickly spin it :)

I tend to tighten with the extendable wrench closed, knowing I can easily undo with the wrench extended.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: For years I was doing the wheel nuts far too tight, to the stage of standing on the wheel brace to loosen :doh: Older and wiser :D
Tightening them until you hear that 'cracking' noise?
According to the Haynes manual, the wheelnuts on the 2.8 should be tightened 63-85 lb/ft. That seems like quite a broad range though.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote: For years I was doing the wheel nuts far too tight, to the stage of standing on the wheel brace to loosen :doh: Older and wiser :D
Tightening them until you hear that 'cracking' noise?
According to the Haynes manual, the wheelnuts on the 2.8 should be tightened 63-85 . That seems like quite a broad range though.

Andrew.
You get the mindset that if these come undone the wheel will come off, therefore overtightning massively :doh:
I now do any alloy wheel nut/bolt to 85lb/ft, which is easy to undo :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I've found that a lot of garages really over tighten them. For their own sake I would have thought, they wouldn't want an issue coming back to them.

You get a 'feel' for how tight they should be though, I'm sure most on here will know how much to tighten, and most likely just by feel would get it within the torque range which Andrew mentioned.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:You get the mindset that if these come undone the wheel will come off, therefore overtightning massively :doh:
It makes you wonder why cars don't have centre knock-offs to fasten the wheels anymore. The thread direction was different each side so they won't come undone while driving.

Andrew.