Custom exhaust advice for a pinto.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
charliepinto
Car(s): 2.0 Laser

Custom exhaust advice for a pinto.

Post by charliepinto »

Hi,

My 86 2.0 pinto Capri currently has a single exit sported exhaust system. It sound good in the low revs but fades. I want something obnoxiously loud.... Before anyone gets annoyed, let me explain! I have a low millage 3.0. Unrestored and immaculate. That is my 'show car' and entertains my love of originality. I also have my 2.0 pinto which is purely for fun and is a blank canvas. The car was already quite aesthetically customised when I got it. Far from original but that's why I got her, as I didn't want another car that I felt like I had to keep absolutely museum perfect. Anyway, disclaimer out the way!!

I want to put a dual exit straight pipe set up on it, I know people don't like dual exits on pintos but I do. I had a quote to have one made and it was ridiculous. So i'm going to make my own. I was wondering if anyone has done this on here and if the can give me any advice on snags they've come across. Also what size is the down pipe as that is where I will build back from? Would a full straight pipe set up be very loud or would you advise any glass boxes or cherry bombs to enhance the sound? And finally, I would assume the shell is the same as the 2.8i which had dual exhausts. Does that mean my pinto will have exhaust hangers on the right hand side even though there was no exhaust fitted on that side?

Thank you all!! :poke:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Custom exhaust advice for a pinto.

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

Wow! That's quite some modification. I am sure people have done this in the past.

Actually, I am not sure why people dismiss this on the pinto's. It's not really a mod that hits you in the face and is more subtle than probably many other mods. So I like where you are going.

I also think it modernises the vehicle as most modern day motors have dual exits. But doesn't modernise it beyond what actually existed at the time - if that makes sense. It brings the 2.0 into the 3.0/2.8i world, makes a for a look that most current offerings have but isn't ridiculous in that it looks like a 2018 aftermarket fitment to a 1970s motor. If that makes any sense. :D

Someone will correct me or add to my points that I am about to make. Obviously the 3.0/2.8 has the 2 manifolds/downpipes - one each side for each head - whereas the pinto does not. So your 1st choice is that you are going to have to split the single downpipe. Based on room, although I think it would be too tight - if you have a 4 branch manifold that then blends to 2 then 1 pipe, I wonder if you could fabricate from the 2 pipes and start at that point. Otherwise, simply, it will be a Y piece from the end of the downpipe.

Hangers on the off side of the pinto - I am not sure. I would doubt that there would be anything. But that shouldn't put you off because if you are good with welding or know someone who can, you should be able to fix some up.

I think actually it is a conversion that wouldn't be so hard to do. It's not as if the pipes on the Capri fit to a specific tunnel or area of the floor, like modern day stuff where there is less opportunity as to how the pipe flows. It won't be a breeze, of course, because the pipes have to flow around other paraphernalia. But it probably is not impossible.

I would probably use the system layout of the 3.0/2.8 and then somehow blend the single downpipe in.

This is not something I have done or remotely looked at. But I like what you are doing!

Ooh - the rear valance. How are you going to cut that to form the arch for the extra outlet ? Were you going to ?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

andyd wrote:I imagine this will be pretty loud http://capriclub.co.uk/Exhausts-Manifolds/twin-system
I love the "beast back pipes" :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I can't remember for the middle hanger but the rear one bolts through a sleeved hole just behind the rear spring hanger. Obviously the right hand one isn't fitted on a 4 cylinder but they are available new or secondhand and easy enough to fit.

I would assume the centre hanger would have provision to be fitted retrospectively to the opposite side of the transmission tunnel to the existing 4 cylinder.

A kit to fit twin exhausts is available from the club or one of the suppliers but I think it is only in mild steel.

http://capriclub.co.uk/Exhausts-Manifolds/twin-system

http://capriclub.co.uk/Exhausts-Manifol ... st-bracket

Hope that helps.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

I picked up a 2.8 system.
Cut the front leg and flipped it 180.
Connected both to a y pieve to the 4-2-1 pinto manifold.
:spam:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

charliepinto wrote:Hi,

mean my pinto will have exhaust hangers on the right hand side even though there was no exhaust fitted on that side?

Thank you all!! :poke:
No it doesn't. There are actually strengthening plates on the floor under the back seat where the exhaust hangars attach. A four cylinder shell has one on the driver's side and a V6 shell has one both sides.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
charliepinto

Post by charliepinto »

andyd wrote:I imagine this will be pretty loud http://capriclub.co.uk/Exhausts-Manifolds/twin-system
Thanks for the link. Looks good and quite reasonable as well.
charliepinto

Post by charliepinto »

Daz-RSK wrote:Wow! That's quite some modification. I am sure people have done this in the past.

Actually, I am not sure why people dismiss this on the pinto's. It's not really a mod that hits you in the face and is more subtle than probably many other mods. So I like where you are going.

I also think it modernises the vehicle as most modern day motors have dual exits. But doesn't modernise it beyond what actually existed at the time - if that makes sense. It brings the 2.0 into the 3.0/2.8i world, makes a for a look that most current offerings have but isn't ridiculous in that it looks like a 2018 aftermarket fitment to a 1970s motor. If that makes any sense. :D

Someone will correct me or add to my points that I am about to make. Obviously the 3.0/2.8 has the 2 manifolds/downpipes - one each side for each head - whereas the pinto does not. So your 1st choice is that you are going to have to split the single downpipe. Based on room, although I think it would be too tight - if you have a 4 branch manifold that then blends to 2 then 1 pipe, I wonder if you could fabricate from the 2 pipes and start at that point. Otherwise, simply, it will be a Y piece from the end of the downpipe.

Hangers on the off side of the pinto - I am not sure. I would doubt that there would be anything. But that shouldn't put you off because if you are good with welding or know someone who can, you should be able to fix some up.

I think actually it is a conversion that wouldn't be so hard to do. It's not as if the pipes on the Capri fit to a specific tunnel or area of the floor, like modern day stuff where there is less opportunity as to how the pipe flows. It won't be a breeze, of course, because the pipes have to flow around other paraphernalia. But it probably is not impossible.

I would probably use the system layout of the 3.0/2.8 and then somehow blend the single downpipe in.

This is not something I have done or remotely looked at. But I like what you are doing!

Ooh - the rear valance. How are you going to cut that to form the arch for the extra outlet ? Were you going to ?

Thanks for the advice! With my current sportex exhaust, it sits just below the valance so I think i'd try that....though i've had an idea which may be a bit silly. I'm thinking of running it with an open down pipe and just welding on and exhaust tip to the down pipe with a slight bend in it to redirect the fumes to the ground.. that should be as loud as I can get the car I suppose? I do love the aesthetic of two exhausts at the back though, I could put two dummy pipes at the back but I'm not sure if i like that idea..
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Why not fit a divertor valve into the exhaust so you can have it loud when you want it and quieter when not

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Electric ... SwtGlZAvWK
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

You might want to read through this before making a decision https://www.motester.co.uk/mot-test-of- ... emissions/