Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Beware!!

Post by andyd »

Lots of SCAMS on Ebay again!!
Here is an example for a Capri 2.8;

BUY IT NOW PRICE : 5250 GBP
THE ITEM IS BASED IN UNITED KINGDOM .Please direct all your enquiries to Cara directly at : [email protected]

She will provide further information , photo and viewing location .
Do not ask me via eBay please. To arrange a viewing and collection please contact the seller at : [email protected]

Thank you for understanding.

GL Cars
Glenn Lebbon
The Office, Place Farm
Church Road, Tostock
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
IP30 9PG
United Kingdom
Phone:07000000000
Email:[email protected]

Someone on FB apparently reported some yesterday, many have reappeared.....
Hopefully these will be removed again quickly, but will no doubt reappear again under a different name :doh:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Beware!!

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

It's a minefield out there with the amount of scam listings. Buyers need to be vigilant, and if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I did laugh there’s a motor bike on there but says 2.8i :lol:

Could never make that mistake with the pinto ............... :wave:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

One of the issue is that with the lack of correspondence that is permissible on the phone or otherwise, this is rife for scammers, since the new ebay rules came in last year.
andyd

Post by andyd »

The same ads this time from Italy :?

Luckily when you click on them they are not available to view, although someone had bid on the 1963 Consul Capri :doh:

**Edit; Consul Capri currently back again among a sea of others**

ONLY TODAY YOU CAN BUY MY ITEM FOR : 5400 GBP

THE ITEM IS BASED IN UNITED KINGDOM .
I am listing this for my father , he doesn't have an account on e Bay so please contact him directly at : : [email protected]

My father will provide further information , photos , info and viewing location ( *MANDATORY : PLEASE INCLUDE THE ITEM TITLE, SO MY FATHER KNOWS WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT.)
Please do not write to me on ebay , because i am on holiday for 1 week and i cannot reply to you so please direct all your enquiries at : [email protected]

Thank you for understanding.

Free collection in person | See details

Item location:
United Kingdo m, Italy

2 vulcan way
lighthorne heath
leamington spa
Warwickshire
CV33 9BF
United Kingdom
andyd

Post by andyd »

I can't believe people are actually bidding on these obvious scam ads :o Unless they are fake bids to get the ball rolling :roll:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 am I can't believe people are actually bidding on these obvious scam ads :o Unless they are fake bids to get the ball rolling :roll:
When I checked just a minute ago, there were 2 obvious scam ads.
It seems hard to understand that somebody could believe that they are genuine listings. As long as they don't have to part with cash for a car they haven't seen in person, I would guess that they think there's no harm in just bidding on it. I wonder if the "seller" will contact the bidders telling them that they are willing to end the auction early if they pay a deposit for the car? I hope not.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:43 am
andyd wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 am I can't believe people are actually bidding on these obvious scam ads :o Unless they are fake bids to get the ball rolling :roll:
When I checked just a minute ago, there were 2 obvious scam ads.
It seems hard to understand that somebody could believe that they are genuine listings. As long as they don't have to part with cash for a car they haven't seen in person, I would guess that they think there's no harm in just bidding on it. I wonder if the "seller" will contact the bidders telling them that they are willing to end the auction early if they pay a deposit for the car? I hope not.

Andrew.
Currently 10 Capri ads, with more than one of the same car.
3 with bids on them are still live the others don't appear when you click on them.
The seller has 886 ads on ebay!!

Anyone that bids on these needs to do their homework.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am Currently 10 Capri ads, with more than one of the same car.
I saw the duplicate ads but didn't count them as when I clicked on them they'd been removed. We've seen it before where one seller has hundreds of scam adverts running simultaneously. You'd think that would set alarm bells ringing at Ebay HQ....
I think there should be more controls in place to stop the listings before they go live, even if that does add a little extra inconvenience to genuine sellers. In my opinion, it's not good enough to remove the listings after they've been public for a few days. Somebody might have fallen for the scam by then.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:39 pm
andyd wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am Currently 10 Capri ads, with more than one of the same car.
I saw the duplicate ads but didn't count them as when I clicked on them they'd been removed. We've seen it before where one seller has hundreds of scam adverts running simultaneously. You'd think that would set alarm bells ringing at Ebay HQ....
I think there should be more controls in place to stop the listings before they go live, even if that does add a little extra inconvenience to genuine sellers. In my opinion, it's not good enough to remove the listings after they've been public for a few days. Somebody might have fallen for the scam by then.

Andrew.
:agree: Andrew, more controls is the answer.
I don't sell on it so not sure what could be put in place that would work :?
Maybe the sellers should pay a £10 fee when listing an item, and that gets returned when item sells or listing ends.
So it will cost someone listing 800 scams a fortune....As with many things hitting them in the pocket will hurt.

Removing them is great, but to have that many scam ads at one time is ridiculous, and shouldn't get through in the first place.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Currently 28 scam listings in Capri's alone!!
And over 3700 other ads by the same :wank:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I did laugh as the cars are in Great Britain and Germany I have been thinking who the scammer is and it could be a message from the past with a time machine trying to get there hands on all the business and great car company’s like Rolls Royce , Bentley , and don’t forget the Mini in Great Britain :banghead:
No I forgot they do have all our business . :cigar:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Funny, as I searched on Ebay for Ford Capri scam advert and nothing came up.... :headscratch: :lol:
I think most of the listings Andy mentioned have been removed, but new adverts are put up again almost straight away.
Let's just hope that nobody gets taken in by the scammers.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:52 pm Funny, as I searched on Ebay for Ford Capri scam advert and nothing came up.... :headscratch: :lol:
I think most of the listings Andy mentioned have been removed, but new adverts are put up again almost straight away.
Let's just hope that nobody gets taken in by the scammers.

Andrew.
Yes they were removed apart from 1 Capri scam, now 10 more have appeared in the last 10 minutes or so :doh:

It's as if they maybe hacking genuine sellers;
Karma Kits
Roger Woolley
9 Riversdale Court,
7 Riversdale Close Birstall,
Leicester
Leicestershire
LE4 4EH
United Kingdom
Phone:0116 4841171

These are different details to the earlier scams, and in the week furniture was also in the sellers other listings which looked to be genuine ads :?