Easiest engine swap for a muppet with no experience

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Easiest engine swap for a muppet with no experience

Post by pbar »

Jaegerbombwot wrote:
pbar wrote:
Jaegerbombwot wrote:after doing some research about the 2.0 laser not having power steering.
If you're considering something like swapping engines then to be honest fitting power steering should well be within your grasp. It isn't necessary though, correct sized tyres and correctly inflated would ensure this isn't an issue.
I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible, literally only putting a windsor 302 and a t5 trans in. but if the car wont be a complete bitch to handle without powersteering then the 2.0 is back on the cards.
Personally, and objectively speaking, I'd forget it all for now. Don't cancel your Capri dreams, just postpone it for a while. One way or another you will wreck your first car, like most of us do. Get a KA or a Peugeot 106 or similar, cheap to insure, and get those much valued driving miles under your belt, and some road experience and build up some no claims bonus if you can too.

A few thousand miles experience in a 'car that doesn't matter', along with no claim discount on your insurance will both be invaluable for your future driving dreams.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Bottomless pockets and money to burn makes no difference......what does is the following points:

1) Buying a 2.8i and trying to make it go fast is a waste of time. Read the Burton Power notes on tuning the 2.8, they
know their stuff.

2) 17 years old and you've done some restoration work on an Alvis. Well done sir but that's a world away from fitting an engine into a Capri that isn't meant to be there. Sure you can find info about any engine swap on the internet but the ball ache of putting a Zetec in a Capri is familiar to me when we did my mates and that's supposed to be fairly straightforward (and some on here will tell you I know my way around a box of spanners). The problems just keep coming, as soon as you solve one another unrelated often cocks up the solution you've just done.

3) Point 2 is just about the engine....with a V8 you're gonna need to sort suspension, brakes and....wait for it....even if you start with a V6 Capri the power steering ain't gonna work because the rack probably won't fit and you'll need to find one that will. Problem after problem after problem.

4) Insurance has been mentioned already by others but at 17 (well 21 by the time you've built it) not only is the premium gonna be in 5 figures with all those mods, they are gonna want an engineers report before they let you drive it on the road and woe betide you if you have anything not 100% perfect 'cos he'll rip to bits anything you bodge.

Yes I'm a killjoy. Yes I'm pissing on your bonfire. But I really had to ask myself if the original post was a wind up. Muppet? You'd better believe it.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-m ... :rk:6:pf:0
If you win it, good luck with the insurance :roll:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

it looks a lot of fun. It would be very good to keep the running gear as it is but restore the bodywork and interior to original looking condition.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote:it looks a lot of fun. It would be very good to keep the running gear as it is but restore the bodywork and interior to original looking condition.
:agree: