Easiest engine swap for a muppet with no experience

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jaegerbombwot
Car(s): Going to be the owner of a 2.0 laser or a 2.8i

Easiest engine swap for a muppet with no experience

Post by Jaegerbombwot »

Hi all

I’m 16 and have got quoted 2k on a Capri (didn’t pay owt just said I was seventeen) I am in love with the Capri and will be buying one when I turn 17. The only problem is I’m also in love with fettling and wrapping myself around trees at the side of A roads, once I buy a Capri my first objective will be an engine swap. I have worked in a bike shop since I was 9 and have assisted in the restoration of a 1927 Alvis so am almost as confident as I think I am.
However this would be the first engine swap I have done and as a result would like it to be as easy as possible (stupid but not brain dead!) forgive me if I have said anything obvious or just plain wrong.

I will be considering Ls engines, small block Chevys, ford Windsor’s (I believe these may be the easiest), cosie v6s
Toyota, bmw or Lexus v8s. And I may consider a really nice rover v8 (I just dislike them for no particular reason)

If there are any other feasible engines I have not researched please let me know. Trans/gearbox would also need changing for most of these I think - I would like to keep it manual.

I would like to hear all options as I am prepared to take out a sodding pension and sell a kidney to get this right!

All contributions appreciated no matter how rude and critical.

Thanks
Will
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Easiest engine swap for a muppet with no experience

Post by pbar »

Jaegerbombwot wrote:once I buy a Capri my first objective will be an engine swap.
Nah, don't do that. By all means have the engine out, rebuild it, tune it, make it shiny, paint it, have it as good as new as if it's done zero miles. But leave the original in there, then drive and enjoy it as much as you like.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Jaegerbombwot wrote:once I buy a Capri my first objective will be an engine swap.
Nah, don't do that. By all means have the engine out, rebuild it, tune it, make it shiny, paint it, have it as good as new as if it's done zero miles. But leave the original in there, then drive and enjoy it as much as you like.
:agree:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jaegerbombwot wrote:All contributions appreciated no matter how rude and critical.

Will
If you are in love with the Capri why do you want to fundamentally change it straight off?
As Paul suggests you can rebuild the engine, tune it etc especially if you have a pinto but upgrading an engine in the way you suggest will involve so much more than just the engine as you will need to look at brakes and suspension and transmission ....

Also at a young age, if you haven't looked in to it, I would check what the insurance will be on a modified Capri. It won't be cheap on a standard one so it could come as a bit of a surprise.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
andyd

Post by andyd »

Peter-S wrote:
Jaegerbombwot wrote:All contributions appreciated no matter how rude and critical.

Will
If you are in love with the Capri why do you want to fundamentally change it straight off?
As Paul suggests you can rebuild the engine, tune it etc especially if you have a pinto but upgrading an engine in the way you suggest will involve so much more than just the engine as you will need to look at brakes and suspension and transmission ....

Also at a young age, if you haven't looked in to it, I would check what the insurance will be on a modified Capri. It won't be cheap on a standard one so it could come as a bit of a surprise.
Where major mods are concerned i think the Capri should be left alone now, 20 years ago no problem....I would have a Fiesta ST or something that's already faster.

:goodluck: with whatever path you choose.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes agree with everybody leave alone .... but as we always say if you want to play then go ahead but what does happen it turns in to a nightmare then it’s a car left going rusty ...
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

You didn't actually say what engine capri you are starting with, i was and still am a compulsive messer and maker of faster things, but if I was telling a 17 year old me what to do I would say focus on handling and braking, also make the mechanicals as mint as possible, get a year or so no claims (and on road experience) under my belt then think about making it go faster, think of it this way no one will see how cool it is if your tear arsing around :drive:
Jaegerbombwot

Post by Jaegerbombwot »

fordperv wrote:You didn't actually say what engine capri you are starting with, i was and still am a compulsive messer and maker of faster things, but if I was telling a 17 year old me what to do I would say focus on handling and braking, also make the mechanicals as mint as possible, get a year or so no claims (and on road experience) under my belt then think about making it go faster, think of it this way no one will see how cool it is if your tear arsing around :drive:
You’ve made the sensible decision sound like a good one!
My heart is set on a 2.8i after doing some research about the 2.0 laser not having power steering. I know the cam and exhaust manifold upgrade would free up some 40 year old horses. Is there any other power upgrades that are proven (is it worth starting a new thread about this?)
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Its horses for courses but you will pay a fair bit more on both buying and insuring a V6 engined Capri over a 4 pot one.

If you are mechanically confident theres absolutely no reason to fear the lack of power steering on the non V6 cars as several people have successfully retro fitted it to 1.6 and 2 litre Pinto engined Capris. It's also one of the few mods that can actually add a bit of value rather than the opposite as it makes the car more comfortable to drive around town without detracting from originality.

There is plenty of information on this forum and beyond on tuning both the 2.8 V6 and the Pinto engines. Lots have and how far you go with it is just a question of budget really. Use the search facility on this and the Capri Power forums and devote a few evening hours to see what others have done.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jaegerbombwot wrote:after doing some research about the 2.0 laser not having power steering.
If you're considering something like swapping engines then to be honest fitting power steering should well be within your grasp. It isn't necessary though, correct sized tyres and correctly inflated would ensure this isn't an issue.
Jaegerbombwot

Post by Jaegerbombwot »

pbar wrote:
Jaegerbombwot wrote:after doing some research about the 2.0 laser not having power steering.
If you're considering something like swapping engines then to be honest fitting power steering should well be within your grasp. It isn't necessary though, correct sized tyres and correctly inflated would ensure this isn't an issue.
I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible, literally only putting a windsor 302 and a t5 trans in. but if the car wont be a complete bitch to handle without powersteering then the 2.0 is back on the cards.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jaegerbombwot wrote:I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible, literally only putting a windsor 302 and a t5 trans in. but if the car wont be a complete bitch to handle without powersteering then the 2.0 is back on the cards.
A bit of research reveals that the Windsor weighs close to 100Kg more than a Pinto. All that weight will be over the front wheels.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jaegerbombwot wrote:I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible, literally only putting a windsor 302 and a t5 trans in. but if the car wont be a complete bitch to handle without powersteering then the 2.0 is back on the cards.
A bit of research reveals that the Windsor weighs close to 100Kg more than a Pinto. All that weight will be over the front wheels.

Andrew.
http://www.retrotech.co.nz/Projects/302-engine.php
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Don't forget that any modification, especially a serious one like a much bigger engine, will increase the cost of insurance. As others have said, good tyres properly inflated and the lack of power steering isn't an issue.
andyd

Post by andyd »

tejb1 wrote:Don't forget that any modification, especially a serious one like a much bigger engine, will increase the cost of insurance. As others have said, good tyres properly inflated and the lack of power steering isn't an issue.
I would be getting quotes for insurance first! No Capri is cheap now, and with the mods it will soon become an expensive car, so nothing worse than doing all the work to find insurance costs are :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: I would be getting quotes for insurance first! No Capri is cheap now, and with the mods it will soon become an expensive car, so nothing worse than doing all the work to find insurance costs are :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:
And you'll have a car that will be worth significantly less than it was before the modifications were carried out....

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:[A bit of research reveals that the Windsor weighs close to 100Kg more than a Pinto. All that weight will be over the front wheels.

Andrew.
On suspension and brakes not designed to cope with the extra weight :o
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:[A bit of research reveals that the Windsor weighs close to 100Kg more than a Pinto. All that weight will be over the front wheels.

Andrew.
On suspension and brakes not designed to cope with the extra weight :o
All in a shell not strengthened for the increase in weight or power.

Andrew.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Some good advice there from experienced owners.
If you're 17 and can heave an engine around a workshop then forget about needing power steering - you don't.
A 2.0 will tune up to give plenty acceleration & top speed. A high torque/mild road cam along with better carbs or an injection system is good.
Better front brakes & slightly firmer suspension is good. Read up on rear axle A-Frame / Axle location kit if you don't want to meet any more trees.
The couple of thousand saved on a 2.0 from a 2.8 can then go on bolt on goodies.
Prime target is to find a reasonably sound shell without bad rust in rear chassis, scuttle panel, A-Posts, behind sunroof aperture.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Us crinklies don't want to piss on your chips....especially as I love your enthusiasm but Capris have been there done and bought the t-shirt when it comes to our teenage selves bastardising them.
There is so much you can meddle with and modify without taking away from the car you start with.
As previously mentioned focus on handling, stopping and warming up what you have (Pinto if you're 16/17).
Plus a massive bummer if you plan on driving it and not just exploring and nurturing your skills is insurance... :spank:
You will be horrified at insuring a standard 1600 Laser let alone a Yank V8 shoe horned into the old girl.
Welcome to the forum, mate and I hope you fullfill your dream of Capri ownership but listen to us old farts...
We're here to help even if its not what you want to hear.
All that said, if you have bottomless pockets and money to burn then fill ya boots, me old fruit. :drive: