What is it?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: What is it?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: the packaging didn't look that strong to be honest. Shame that, I feel for you, it happens to me a lot.
That's an interesting observation as I thought that the packaging was sturdier than that used by Amazon for posting books.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I've found the Amazon way of packaging things, as well as their materials used, to be complete crud at times! Especially when using their Prime trial, things are obviously packed in such a rush that it's surprising anything arrives in one piece.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:I've found the Amazon way of packaging things, as well as their materials used, to be complete crud at times! Especially when using their Prime trial, things are obviously packed in such a rush that it's surprising anything arrives in one piece.
They have a strange packaging system as a single book will arrive with one layer of thin cardboard protection, however, other small items often arrive in a massive box with loads of bubble wrap.

Andrew.
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

If it’s one of the posters being stuck then yes, it’s unfortunate and I’m sorry to hear it – I hope it won’t take the edge off it for anyone. The printers are paying for replacements and all credit to Porter Press for they do jump on it fast - just email [email protected].

The packaging was custom-made btw and seems to hold up well so far - with one book damaged out of the first few hundred that went out.

I'm delighted that the first readers are appreciating the quality. I persuaded Porter Press to sell it directly, which reduced the price by 55% from what would have otherwise have been a £95 book. This has been a two-year labour of love for me.

Can I just ask that we move book discussion to <<Discuss Saxty's Book - The Cars You Always Promised Yourself>> so that:
1: I can reply if you wish – I have so many threads and Facebook pages to respond to that I’m a little inundated!
2: You have an incentive - I’ve put a very special event up there for those that have the book – an evening in London where we launch the book with Rod Mansfield and all the others that contributed to the book.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Saxty on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote: I'm looking forward to getting started on it.
Have you ordered one yet or do you have no plans to buy one?
It looks a great book, well written, but I’ve got no plans to buy one. I bought Stirling Moss’s racing life book & it’s taken me 2 years to read that. I’ll be retired by the time I could finish this one :)
But if someone receives book number 281 & wants to trade I could be persuaded .. :D
Book 281 might still be available - all you need to do is ask!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Steve Saxty wrote: just email [email protected].
Will do, thanks Steve.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I've heard back from Porter Press and everything has been sorted out.
The main issue was, as Steve suggested, a problem with the enclosed poster. It's unfortunate that the printers, I assume, made the error but these things happen and fortunately Tania and Albert at Porter Press were extremely helpful and resolved the issue. Thumbs up! :D

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Did you not have the poster then or was it stuck as mine was stuck to the side a little bit ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Did you not have the poster then or was it stuck as mine was stuck to the side a little bit ?
Mine was stuck to the side a lot! It couldn't be removed from the flap without damaging it.
If you're in the same position with the poster you can e-mail the publishers and they will send a replacement. Then again, it's Nick's book anyway! :xd:
They've had another batch of posters printed especially, so it must be a common issue with the book.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

All I might do that yes nick text early and said his book comes tommorow , I noticed the book I have asked for xmas was in our club magazines today . I still think it’s cheaper with amazon .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:All I might do that yes nick text early and said his book comes tommorow , I noticed the book I have asked for xmas was in our club magazines today . I still think it’s cheaper with amazon .
The Amazon copies of that book won't be signed by the author, but is that particular author's signature worth paying an extra £5 for? Personally, I don't think so, particularly as there are no extras like we got with Steve's book.

My replacement poster and slip arrived today, I'm very pleased with how swiftly the publishers dealt with the issue.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s great yes funny as Marie said do I want the signed copy but as you say the extra is not worth it . Have you started on Steve’s book yet ? Also glad all sorted now .....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Have you started on Steve’s book yet ? Also glad all sorted now .....
Thanks. Yes, I have started on Steve's book but I haven't got very far. I've been out in the man cave/garage messing about with the car today. :)

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I am page 93 now as I did skip back as I lost the plot what was my fault trying to read when they gave me a shot of mophine & Diazpam , I have been reading up the table as well as it’s not a bed book as they say also as it’s going to young nick I am being over cautious.

Forgot to ask what playful things have you been doing to that mint stunner 2,8i Capri of yours ?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:
Forgot to ask what playful things have you been doing to that mint stunner 2,8i Capri of yours ?
Trying to make the rest of us look bad next year :lol:

Only around 5 months to Haynes April meet :woot:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:
Thanks Jason, that's kind of you to say, but as we all know, it's neither mint nor a stunner. That's Andy's, Nick's and your domain! :D

I've just been doing little jobs today. I changed the brake fluid and bled the brakes, changed the oil and filter and took off the oil cooler to check the oil seal between the cooler and the block.

Mostly today I've been clearing out the loft because there is a company coming around to top up the insulation up there. Something that the local council is offering grants for. As it's free, it would have been rude to refuse! :lol:

On top of all of that I've been reading Mr Saxty's book!

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
I've just been doing little jobs today. I changed the brake fluid and bled the brakes, changed the oil and filter and took off the oil cooler to check the oil seal between the cooler and the block.
Hi Andrew,
I was planning on doing the oil and filter, but thought as it's just sat in the garage I may as well do it in March.
Do you usually change yours this time of year??

Looking from the front of the car, where abouts is the drain plug located and can you get to it wihout jacking the car up??
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes they say in almost every book that when laying up a classic car for the winter do the oil , as there is a science to the reason . Sounds like you have been really busy yes we got our loft lag with I think 10” on top of what we had can’t remember how much that was but it did help make it nice and warm . Our local council was giving grants for solar panels on the roof but they said they would need changing in 7 years time that worked out a lot of money .

Hope you find some treasures in your loft like a Capri sun roof Handel or a wash bottle :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I was planning on doing the oil and filter, but thought as it's just sat in the garage I may as well do it in March.
Do you usually change yours this time of year??

Looking from the front of the car, where abouts is the drain plug located and can you get to it wihout jacking the car up??
Hi Andy,
No, I usually leave the oil change until after the winter, but I felt like a change this year. I personally feel that it doesn't make any real difference when it's done, as long as it's done.

The filler plug is on the right hand side as you look from the front. The sump plug is easy to reach without jacking the car up. The filter can be reached from behind the offside wheel, although you might find it easier to raise the car a little to get to it easier.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Y Our local council was giving grants for solar panels on the roof but they said they would need changing in 7 years time that worked out a lot of money .
We asked about it, but they only give grants to properties with a south facing roof in order to get the maximum return. We don't see as much sun here as you get in the south east. Now, if only there was a way to generate electricity from rainfall we'd be on to a winner! :)

Andrew.