Nice mk2 2.0GL on ebay

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Nice mk2 2.0GL on ebay

Post by Pas28i »

Noticed this mk2 on eBay, they’re expecting £15k...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-Ford-Ca ... :rk:2:pf:0

I thought by now all Capris would be discovered but every now and again one pops up!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Nice mk2 2.0GL on ebay

Post by Jasonmarie »

I also notice the Capri and thought the prices are still going up but this old lady says she’s only done 12500 miles but looks like it’s done more to me .

Still coming out the woodwork
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Nice find, it looks like a good honest car.
According to the description, Capri production ended in 1994. I didn't know that! :roll:

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Nice find, it looks like a good honest car.
According to the description, Capri production ended in 1994. I didn't know that! :roll:

Andrew.
I think the description of the mileage is about as accurate as that unless the car hasn't been looked after properly. It's a lot of money for a 2,0GL with an untidy engine bay and the rust up the wing to valance joints in my opinion.

As far as production ending in 1994 are they talking about that Australian thing?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Awkward one really....
Do you drive it, increasing the mileage and risk losing ££'s...Do you address the rust issues losing the originality or leave it as it is :headscratch:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:Awkward one really....
Do you drive it, increasing the mileage and risk losing ££'s...Do you address the rust issues losing the originality or leave it as it is :headscratch:
Easy one for me - keep driving it and add to your life's enjoyment, that's more priceless than any car value. And fix the rust/issues so you can keep driving it.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Easy one for me - keep driving it and add to your life's enjoyment, that's more priceless than any car value. And fix the rust/issues so you can keep driving it.
Good call Paul :cheers:

Unfortunately at that price many buyers would be too scared to put a mile on it :(
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Even easier than that - don't buy it and buy another car for the same money that is in much better condition??
£15k would get a lovely 2.8 3.0 these days, why get a rusty 2.0GL for the same money imo…?
Especially when I have one already (might not be a mk2 but still) :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:
Even easier than that - don't buy it and buy another car for the same money that is in much better condition??
£15k would get a lovely 2.8 3.0 these days, why get a rusty 2.0GL for the same money imo…?
Especially when I have one already (might not be a mk2 but still) :lol:
:wave:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:As far as production ending in 1994 are they talking about that Australian thing?
That's not a Capri! :)

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:Even easier than that - don't buy it and buy another car for the same money that is in much better condition??
£15k would get a lovely 2.8 3.0 these days
True, but we're all getting hot under the collar about the price. At the moment, we don't know what the starting price of the auction is as it hasn't actually started yet. The £15K classified listing on Ebay is just a wildly speculative price that the auction probably won't get anywhere near. If the auction start price is £15K nobody is going to bid on the car and it won't sell.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote:Even easier than that - don't buy it and buy another car for the same money that is in much better condition??
£15k would get a lovely 2.8 3.0 these days
True, but we're all getting hot under the collar about the price. At the moment, we don't know what the starting price of the auction. The £15K classified listing on Ebay is just a wildly speculative price that the auction probably won't get anywhere near. If the auction start price is anywhere near £15K nobody is going to bid on it and it won't sell.

Andrew.
Also true, good point!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:
Do you drive it, increasing the mileage and risk losing ££'s...
Easy one for me - keep driving it and add to your life's enjoyment, that's more priceless than any car value.
Good call Paul :cheers:
:agree: We can all get a bit precious about our pride & joys but the real enjoyment is driving them & creating memories :drive:
Nice mk2 for someone, be good to see it’s final price.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Caprifan Rob wrote:the real enjoyment is driving them & creating memories :drive:
That's it, right there :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The auction still hasn't started yet. Obviously he auction house waits until they have generated enough publicity regarding the car to ensure that there is enough interest to achieve a decent amount of bidding. I notice in their FAQs that all the bidders have to register with their credit card details. This should eliminate bids from dreamers and tyre-kickers as, I think, the card details are used to pay the required 5% deposit at the end of the auction. That seems like a sensible approach to me.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

1000 miler :? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-capri-m ... ctupt=true
I wish people would at least put paper on the floors before getting in with dirty shoes :roll:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:1000 miler :? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-capri-m ... ctupt=true
I wish people would at least put paper on the floors before getting in with dirty shoes :roll:
It looks like a nice car, but I'm naturally sceptical about claims of mega low mileages. It wouldn't be too bad if there was an MOT every year so the mileage can be verified. I'm not saying that this is the case here, but the long-term storage provides a convenient cover story for missing history that could contradict those claims of mileage.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:1000 miler :? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-capri-m ... ctupt=true
It looks like a nice car, but I'm naturally sceptical about claims of mega low mileages. It wouldn't be too bad if there was an MOT every year so the mileage can be verified. I'm not saying that this is the case here, but the long-term storage provides a convenient cover story for missing history that could contradict those claims of mileage.

Andrew.
:agree: Andrew,
Won't be the first time a low mileage car with no or little history has sparked debate...
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

I also agree. But there are some tell tale signs in gauging the mileage of the car.

FWIW, I think this one has done the mileage stated but the owner has undone some good work to prove it. I'll show you.

Go to that picture of the pedals / floor and you'll see what I mean.

The pedals, halfway up, are not consistent in "muck" / "grime" as the rubbers. The clutch one in particular. One of the best ways of masking the mileage is to fit new rubbers to the pedal.

When I was more nearer the trade, back in the day, you would spray the pedals as well - but that is not what I am referring to as to why the advert is little undone in the genuine aspect.

But notice the grime on that clutch pedal. How deep seated is that ? OK, so a hop in from wet day where there was a bit of muck on the floor, and if you wipe that clutch pedal, it should come off, with no deep grazing. If there is deep grazing, time to walk away. 1000 miles should not have constant clutch pedal abuse to that level.

But there is something else. Look at the interior door shut - the plastic protector. Now that has seen some action.

It could all still be innocent and as you have said, why do people not look through the photos before they place them up and ask "What's wrong with this?"

Why do I think it is genuine - bit of a hunch really. Some people like to show warts and all. The car is 30+ years old and that dust on the pedals is superficial, I bet. The kick panel / protector has probably seen some action from someone trying to get in and out of the car, not necessarily to drive it - maybe shunt it out of the garage.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I had my neighbour pop in today who is a real petrol head , he made me watch “ Harry’s garage “ on you tube
https://youtu.be/n-zkHtgmAOM
It’s the 2nd car on the link .

Looks like some very nice cars for sale .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: