Best exhaust system

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
03kkeane
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0s

Best exhaust system

Post by 03kkeane »

What would people recommend ? Looking for something not to loud but abit better louder than original. I have a 2.0s I’ve been looking at Ashley or sportex
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Best exhaust system

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have a sportex on mine and love it also some other members .

Here’s a quick video of mine

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/SPdJqv1Zm_Y[/YouTube]

https://youtu.be/SPdJqv1Zm_Y
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The Sportex system sounds good and with the chromed tailpipe looks great too.
If you don't want anything too loud, stay away from the Sportex system with the 3" tailpipe though.

Andrew.
03kkeane
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0s

Post by 03kkeane »

Cheers for the advice anyone got an Ashley so I can compare
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I kept mine original, cost around £90 for the complete system, delivered. Have to say, gives a very nice sound/rumble, very pleased with it.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

03kkeane wrote:Cheers for the advice anyone got an Ashley so I can compare
Ashley is not my idea of a good sound at high revs, but it's indoors too so you won't get a good idea really unless it's outside with nothing for the sound to bounce off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTCY_OOTxAw

Many sound great on tickover, but in reality it's at speed you need to be happy with it.

Longlife or Powerflow can custom build one in stainless steel to your choice of looks and sound.....
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:The Sportex system sounds good and with the chromed tailpipe looks great too.
If you don't want anything too loud, stay away from the Sportex system with the 3" tailpipe though.

Andrew.
What makes you say this Andrew....? :whistle: :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

Out of choice, if you could fine a good fabricator that can give you recommendations for how to provide you with the sound you want, that would be my route.

There is nothing wrong with the off the shelf stuff, but you are limited to choice of the sound. If you would like to build the sound, you need a fabricator.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Also aftermarkets have a reputation (for a reason) of not fitting particularly well... I have a sportex on both of mine, only out of necessity as there is nothing else around that offers any other option really

I'm in the process of going stainless on one of mine at the moment but it's much more expensive and is louder - if you went to a fabricator though as has been suggested they could probably make exactly what you are after - sure it would be more expensive but you get what you pay for really
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

Shop around to find a price of a fabricator. I used a guy in Stafford (miles from Essex), based on recommendation, but the savings on the exhaust outweighed the fuel to get there and back.

I paid £420 for the twins, from down pipes back.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Sadly as with most things everyones experience may be different....But I can highly recommend https://www.longlife.co.uk/
Your nearest centre https://www.longlife.co.uk/dealer
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

I got the Sportex with 2" Tailpipe. Really like it. Fits well enough and I really like the tone from it as it has the bomb style rear silencer. Just right for a 2.0 Pinto imo.
But really does depend on what you want. If you want louder then Danny has the 3" Straight Thru which sounds great too. Yep some time down the line I would like a s/s system so will watch with interest how Danny gets on with the one he is getting.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Daz-RSK wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the off the shelf stuff, but you are limited to choice of the sound.
It's an exhaust, not a Hi-Fi!
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

You'd be surprised by the number of people who place a performance exhaust on and regret what they have done a week or 2 down the line. That's why many people try to explain on forums that they would like a noise but not a racket.

I have spent a lot of years rotating around the Scooby circles where the loudest exhausts are king in most of those guys' books. But they are king when you stand outside the motor. Sitting on the m/way with the thing droning away at 70 is actually just a headache and many a Scooby owner have said that they couldn't drive their car 200 miles because of the noise. So where's the fun in that ?

I remember one guy saying that just to relieve the continual loud hum in the car, he used to either drive at 55 or 90 - or sit in 3rd gear. What!!!

When I went to a very experienced fabricator at Powerflow, he showed me the options and what the result of those options are for both my Scooby and the Capri.

So is it like choosing a Hi Fi ? Perhaps it is. I actually like the analogy you have thrown away. Your separates vs your all in one multi system "get what your given".
andyd

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:You'd be surprised by the number of people who place a performance exhaust on and regret what they have done a week or 2 down the line. That's why many people try to explain on forums that they would like a noise but not a racket.

I have spent a lot of years rotating around the Scooby circles where the loudest exhausts are king in most of those guys' books. But they are king when you stand outside the motor. Sitting on the m/way with the thing droning away at 70 is actually just a headache and many a Scooby owner have said that they couldn't drive their car 200 miles because of the noise. So where's the fun in that ?

I remember one guy saying that just to relieve the continual loud hum in the car, he used to either drive at 55 or 90 - or sit in 3rd gear. What!!!

When I went to a very experienced fabricator at Powerflow, he showed me the options and what the result of those options are for both my Scooby and the Capri.

So is it like choosing a Hi Fi ? Perhaps it is. I actually like the analogy you have thrown away. Your separates vs your all in one multi system "get what your given".
I had a Powerflow backbox on my Impreza, but when I had it remapped the box wasn't allowing the power, so went for a 3" Hayward and Scott system :D As for those Afterburner things :roll:

Janspeed on the Capri now :cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Daz-RSK wrote:You'd be surprised by the number of people who place a performance exhaust on and regret what they have done a week or 2 down the line.
Yes exactly. As I mentioned the standard replacement exhaust system I put on sounds great. And at around £90 delivered, I think that's brilliant, fitted without too much messing too.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote:Yes exactly. As I mentioned the standard replacement exhaust system I put on sounds great. And at around £90 delivered, I think that's brilliant, fitted without too much messing too.
Yep that is a great price indeed for a complete system Paul and if its what you want its a big saving on a non-standard. I had my standard for about 7yrs before deciding to change to a CCI Club ( Sportex ). Was nothing wrong with the standard one but I just wanted to upgrade to the 4-2-1 manifold and slightly larger exhaust. I really like the rear bomb silencer too. Looks very tidy, fits well and with the s/s 2" tailpipe it does give a nice tone both idling and on the road. Its a bit of a starting block for future upgrades too so and I still think its very good value. Thought about a s/s system but this can wait. Very happy for now with the Sportex.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

pbar wrote:
Daz-RSK wrote:You'd be surprised by the number of people who place a performance exhaust on and regret what they have done a week or 2 down the line.
Yes exactly. As I mentioned the standard replacement exhaust system I put on sounds great. And at around £90 delivered, I think that's brilliant, fitted without too much messing too.
That is a good price! And the sound from a standard pipe is actually has a nice tone to it. :cool:

We are a bit fortunate that the Capri aftermarket parts are still relatively plentiful and cost effective. There are a number of people out there, alongside other areas they are involved in, still would make the parts for the Capri or stock items for the Capri.

That is not the fortune of some. A mate of mine had a Signum - that short lived Vectra crossover vehicle that they made in the mid naughties. A standard pipe for that car only comes from the Vauxhall dealer :spank: So was about £1000

The Powerflow guy I used, I asked him how much for a standard, stainless pipe for his Signum. He didn't want a loud popping exhaust - it was the family car. The chap said £400 and that's where he went!

So these outfits will fabricate a standard pipe for people if they request it. It's not all the popping banging stuff that comes out.

But you wouldn't get a standard Capri pipe for £90 for sure from these places.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Daz-RSK wrote:
pbar wrote:
That is a good price! And the sound from a standard pipe is actually has a nice tone to it. :cool:
Yes you're quite right, it has a lovely rumble to it. From Klarius, I would recommend it to anyone.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:. I had my standard for about 7yrs before deciding to change to a CCI Club ( Sportex ). Looks very tidy, fits well and with the s/s 2" tailpipe it does give a nice tone both idling and on the road.
I agree, and the Sportex fulfills the criteria laid out in the original post. Not too loud but a little louder than original.

Andrew.