Leather Seats Food Hide

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Leather Seats Food Hide

Post by Daz-RSK »

Good morning people - I was just surfing through ebay to start with to see what products are on offer for Hide Food. I must admit to knowing nothing about this.

All I do know it should be applied more often than I do and probably once every couple of years. Although some of you may correct me here. Whilst I start to get the Capri sorted, with the interior being the next, I do need to attend to the leather. The front seats are being completely refurbed, so my concern is not there.

The rear seats though are not being worked on as there is no need. But I do need to clean / feed them.

Do any of you have any experience of this and which brand of cleaner / hide food you would use please ? Thanks for the guidance - really appreciated.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Leather Seats Food Hide

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I use Gliptone Liquid Leather and think it's an amazing product.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gliptone-Lea ... :rk:4:pf:0

Andrew.
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

Thanks Andrew. Really appreciated! I'll get some of that.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Daz-RSK wrote:Thanks Andrew. Really appreciated! I'll get some of that.
It's always a good idea to test on an inconspicuous area first in case of any adverse reaction to your leather. I've never had any problems with it, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
The Gliptone cleaner is great, but the conditioner is brilliant as it restores the smell of leather.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

That looks good Andrew as I always use the autoglym but your stuff is a lot cheaper .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:That looks good Andrew as I always use the autoglym but your stuff is a lot cheaper .
I have used the Autoglym Leather Care in the past, but I changed over to the Gliptone after it was recommended to me. When I saw for myself how good it was, I didn't look back. Give it a try. :)

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes I will I do try and do the seats ever 3 months and it’s better every time I do it . Out of interest do you do the seats before you go in to winter sleep ?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes I will I do try and do the seats ever 3 months and it’s better every time I do it . Out of interest do you do the seats before you go in to winter sleep ?
I use them on the seats in my Toyota, not the Capri. I'm not sure what the recommended usage is, but I only do them once a year.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

O yes in my head I new that yôu had the correct seats but never thought . It does say every year on the bottle as well .feel better now as I did mine just before our ace cafe meet and forgot to do before her winter sleep .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:It does say every year on the bottle as well .feel better now as I did mine just before our ace cafe meet and forgot to do before her winter sleep .
I think it depends on how much exposure your seats get to the sun. It might be better for some people to treat their seats more often than once a year, but that works fine for me.

Andrew.
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

Yes, good idea Andrew to try on a little patch of seat first to see if all is good.

I thought the frequency was longer than 3 months and something like a year or every 2 years. But you guys would know better than me. Mine never sees the sunlight unless it is out - and that is limited to 2/3 days per year. Sits in a dark garage most of its life. It's probably I could get 2 years out of a frequency.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Daz, i have to say its great the way you have jumped into the forum with both feet and interacted with everyone. All too often new people turn up, ask the same questions that 100 people have asked before them, give no comment at all to the responses and drop out never to be heard from again :banghead:
Its good to see someone doing it properly and really joining in as you are. :)
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

Thanks for your sentiments there, chap. Sorry a late response to your post. Doh!

I do try to interact a little as I know how frustrating it is from other forums that some people come on, ask a few questions (that have been answered many times) then go off for months / years without stopping around for some banter and chat.

I do my best to cover all sides and always extremely gratified / humbled by people taking their time out to post up guidance for me.

But I have failed a bit here. Nearly 2 months since i picked up your post. :D

And I have failed on another front as well. Bad day at the office.

So as a Christmas pressie, I was bought this stuff. I don't know why. It would have been my error as I took advice from here and promptly requested the wrong damn stuff! Great! Fantastic!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Fore ... 0012.m1985

Anyway, it seems to have worked well. Apologies, I don't normally ask guidance then go out and request something completely different, on a subject / item I know so little about. What a pillock!

Anyway, the result is it seems to have worked.

I'll post up the pics in my restoration thread I set up as there is a bit more that has been completed since the opener.