Millers Oils VSPe Additive

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Millers Oils VSPe Additive

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Just about to order up a new batch of Millers VSPe Power Plus Lead Replacement Ethanol Additive and am just a bit confused between two of their products which I am presuming/wondering if they are the same as the amount you add to treat the same 50litres differs between them. I will explain what I mean in a bit more detail....

This is the Millers Oil I use which instructs to add the whole bottle of 250ml to treat up to approx. 50ltrs of unleaded fuel

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/v ... r-plus/558

And this is the other one I seen which says a measure of 50ml will also treat up to approx. 50ltrs of unleaded fuel

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/v ... tishot/624

Reason I am asking guys is the Multishot which is sold in 500ml bottles is priced at between £20-30 depending where you buy it and has ten treatments of 50ml for 50 litres of fuel whereas the 250ml bottles to treat the same you need 10 bottles priced at £88.99 as each bottle treats approx. 50 litres too ???

Can you see where I am getting confused ??? If this Multishot Additive is exactly the same then why are the treatment measures so different ? Is is just a much stronger 'dose' ? As you can see in info for both they certainly seem to do exactly the same ie providing ethanol protectiom, lead replacement and octane enhancement of up to 2 octane numbers, prevents valve seat recession and fuel system corrosion.

I am very tempted to but the Multishot 500ml bottle at £29.99 as Halfords actually keep this on their shelf all the time so can just pick it up. They don't sell the 250ml bottles so I need to order these online but as said to treat the same approx quantity of fuel ( ten x 50 litres) I would need ten bottles at £89.99 !

Yep I know there are many products on the market but I have used this Millers Oils for a long time and B112 runs great with it and Clive recently checked my valves and said there is nothing to be concerned about at all so I want to keep using this Millers Additive.

So any thought/advice on my confusion would be much appreciated.

All the very best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Millers Oils VSPe Additive

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I use the second one and have spoken with the company quite a bit , now I don’t use it for using unleaded as my head has been done to run on unleaded. But I use it for the ethanol in fuel or E10. I asked about there small bottles and they are made for easy use or to keep in the car if needed . Yes I found the answer strange . But I also now have tank safe in with the other stuff as the guy emailed me over instructions on how to store petrol in my tank .
Any worries nick send them a email as they are really helpful . But I would go for the larger bottle I normally go down to a quarter of tank fill up and add around 45mls .

Also on my MOT the emissions was so low to where it can go so it must do some good .

All I guess I am teaching everybody to suck eggs but I do use super unleaded

Here’s the email address I talk to and he really good on all engines and knows the capris
[email protected]

Hope that helps mate . :cool:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

It will be interesting to see what Nick finds out about it. I've often wondered why the multishot is so much cheaper to use than the 'standard' stuff in the first photo.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Thanks very much for that information Jason. That is very helpful indeed mate.

So it really is looking as though the Multishot larger bottle does in fact do the identical treatment to unleaded fuel/ valve seats as the smaller bottles do, albeit different measurements. I can see why they told you the smaller bottles are 'easy use' to have in the car as you just need to empty the whole bottle to a new tank of fuel so its very simple and fast, whereas witht he larger bottle Multishot you need to measure the multishot you have to make sure you measure it pretty accurate before adding. Standing at the petrol pump with a queue of cars behind you suppose its much easier to just add the whole bottle (250ml) than 'mess about' measuring the larger bottle. Although looking at it in Halfords the bottle designed so you get the 50ml approx. in a different 50ml measurement chamber of the bottle so you know you are adding approx. 50ml to the tank.

As said the spec on both bottles is identical and a darn sight cheaper for the 'less easy to use' multishot bottle but for that price difference I will deffo be happy with this one.

Thanks for the email link too Jason. If you don't mind I will also drop them a message just like you did to hear what they say to me but it will no doubt confirm what you advised mate. I don't know how many times I seen the multishot bottles on the shelf at Halfords but because of the price difference thought it was a less effective product and did not do as much as the 250ml bottles. Maybe this is why Halfords only keep the multishot bottles in stock. Why have two products from the same manufacturer that do the identical job with such a price difference side by side on the same shelf ??? Hmmm.....makes a bit more sense to me now as to why not many places have the 250ml in stock. I have always had to order it online at about £90 for ten bottles !!!

Jason, Andrew I will let you know what Millers tell me too.

Thanks again Jason. You been a grand help mate :)

All the best guys

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:. But I also now have tank safe in with the other stuff as the guy emailed me over instructions on how to store petrol in my tank .
The man recommends using Tank Safe if you're laying the car up for just a few months? Interesting.....

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Here’s the email I got from them .

Good morning Jason,

Thank you for your enquiry.

As you are doing – even if the valve seats have been hardened you should still use VSPe as it will giving ethanol protection, octane enhancement and keep injectors clean. In fact the best thing to do would be to mix tank safe and VSPe as this would give the best protection – corrosion inhibitor and ethanol protection. The car should be run for around 15 minutes to get the fuel treatment around the system. It is absolutely fine to drive on when you bring the car out of storage. Usually we say not to mix fuel treatments i.e. competitors with ours, but as we know the chemical makeup of ours that is fine to do so.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Mark

Yes so I did as they said was fine last year and I did not use the tank safe . You know me I do love testing stuff and just going that extra mile of what I am putting in the car and to store the car correctly. MR OCD should be my name .
I know you should always store the car on a full tank and I have put a small groument in the overflow that I made last year so know spiders get down there but the air can carry moisture. Sorry if it sounds a bit OTT . :doh:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:octane enhancement and keep injectors clean.
He's advising you to use it for your injectors Jason, but your car doesn't have any. Are you sure you should be taking his advice?!

All this additive stuff is a real big money spinner - but is it really needed?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I use redex 250 ml and it treats 5 tanks, so it works out about 1 ml a litre.... So 30 litres = 30ml :D
C4PR1
Car(s): two capris

Post by C4PR1 »

This tank safe sounds interesting stuff! does it prolong the life of petrol
while your Capri is in storage? I've been looking for an additive that you can add to the petrol
to stop it going off while my capri is laid up over winter and would also mix with Millers vspe
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:All this additive stuff is a real big money spinner - but is it really needed?
:agree:
I don't use any additive to prevent the petrol going off over the winter lay up. I've never had any problems with stale petrol after only a few months. I'm sure it takes a lot longer to go so stale that it can't be used.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:It will be interesting to see what Nick finds out about it. I've often wondered why the multishot is so much cheaper to use than the 'standard' stuff in the first photo.
Well guys I got a reply from Millers Oils today. Very nice chap. Very interesting indeed. The two bottles of VSPe Additive I mentioned are actually the same product ! He said the reason they do two bottles of different sizes and mixing ratios is and I quote him...

"We do offer two products, the 250ml bottle treats 50 Litres of fuel and the 500ml multishot treats 10x50 Litres of fuel. They are the same product and the reason we offer two is the 250ml is for cars that might do 100 miles per annum and the multi-shot is for cars that do more than that. The multi-shot is alot more cost effective and sounds like it would suit you alot more"

So, there we have it. They ARE the same product so by buying the multi-shot you make a massive saving. All this time I been ordering the 250ml bottles at about £8-9 each. Also explains why Halfords only stock the mulit-shot and not the 250ml. Its great to know and I will be picking up a multi-shot this week. Think its £29 at Halfords but about £20-25 from online supplies. What amazing value compared to £89 for 10x250ml bottles !!

Hope this helps you guys who use the VSPe. It very good stuff so I am really pleased I asked this question. A big thanks to Jason for his help too.

All the best

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: They are the same product and the reason we offer two is the 250ml is for cars that might do 100 miles per annum and the multi-shot is for cars that do more than that. The multi-shot is alot more cost effective and sounds like it would suit you alot more
Thanks Nick,
That's good to know. For those of use that have a stockpile of the 250ml bottles, it would make sense to simply add it to the tank in smaller doses, not the high concentration recommended on the bottle.
On the subject of the packaging, you'd think it would mention somewhere on there, or on their website, that the doses specified are recommended for low annual mileage applications.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

All i got the question market thing all wrong so this is my 4 th attempt .

Paul yes I know his words said injectors I think it’s because my email said for the pinto engine and them slower engines that they call 2.8 eye . :lol:

As Andrew said I don’t know if the petrol goes off that fast I do agree but it’s the ethanol or E10 that worries me as I keep on reading about the effects it’s having as a world wide problem of eating rubber hoses .

Nick yes it’s the same stuff and more easy to mix , as I fill up and look how many litres and then add on the bottle.
First few times I was worried about doing it wrong and adding to much but after a time it’s easy .
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:All i got the question market thing all wrong so this is my 4 th attempt .

my email said for the pinto engine and them slower engines that they call 2.8 eye . :lol:
:kungfu: :boxing:
When you get to my age power doesn't mean much.....I just like the V6 sound :lol: :cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:All i got the question market thing all wrong so this is my 4 th attempt .

my email said for the pinto engine and them slower engines that they call 2.8 eye . :lol:
:kungfu: :boxing:
When you get to my age power doesn't mean much.....I just like the V6 sound :lol: :cheers:
Could not resist :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:As Andrew said I don’t know if the petrol goes off that fast I do agree.
The Miller's website even says that the VSPE Power Plus contains anti-oxidants to increase fuel life. The Tank Safe seems like overkill to me.
It's important to protect against the effects of ethanol in petrol if you've got older rubber components in your fuel system. Any R9 rubber bits should be OK though.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:As Andrew said I don’t know if the petrol goes off that fast I do agree.
The Miller's website even says that the VSPE Power Plus contains anti-oxidants to increase fuel life. The Tank Safe seems like overkill to me.
It's important to protect against the effects of ethanol in petrol if you've got older rubber components in your fuel system. Any R9 rubber bits should be OK though.

Andrew.
Your knowledge is very good in the rubber industry? Is there a secret we should know about ?

Yes I did not use the Tank safe last year and all was ok but peace of mind always helped, also I got all my staff on Amazon . :cool:

Millers Oils VSPe Power Plus Multi Shot 500ml, Treats 500L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JEA6O4S/ ... 0BbEBKE542

I got mine back in April 2017 I bought two lots and just noticed that I have the same stuff but different bottle, also it’s £28 on Amazon ,,,,,,,,,very strange
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Your knowledge is very good in the rubber industry? Is there a secret we should know about ?
Ssshhhh! :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:Your knowledge is very good in the rubber industry? Is there a secret we should know about ?
Ssshhhh! :)
Ok will keep it quite but still ok for the gimk mask for xmas ? :doh:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Even cheaper here Jason....free postage too !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-VSPe ... 2743797254