Horrible Engine knocking

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Horrible Engine knocking

Post by Arya2.0S »

Plus, you really need a 205 block to do a 2.1 rebore safely don't you?
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Ideally ayla as there is a bit more meat in a 205 block, I've not had 2 side by side to check but apparently there is more bore wall material in a 205 block, I will say though the cost of tuning a pinto and getting all the machining done you may as well save a few hundred quid and fit a zetec or similar with an easy 150 bhp and a scope for further tuning, the conversion ive put together for my laser cost me less than a hot pinto would have
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Yeah it definitely doesn't seem worth doing all that work to a pinto when you can have something more modern and powerful in its place. I love the pinto but if I had the opportunity I'd rather get something newer with more power out of the box rather than going through all that hassle to soup up a pinto.
I have a 205 block and did look in to how much everything would cost to soup it up and Jesus Christ it was insane!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Just got the call... unfortunately they said that it's a big end and not a piston! :crying:

Might have to nurse the car home and try taking apart slowly myself over the next period of time rather than hand over a blank cheque to a garage while they strip and re-build the engine, for the third time in just as many weeks!

:banghead:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

Shit that's not good, but me personally I would prefer it to be a big end rather than a piston, hopefully you will just need a new set of big end bearings, the crankshaft journals will need to be measured for wear and taper or at the very minimum visually inspected for scoring and scratches, flush of the engine would be recommended as well to remove any old bearing material that may be floating around in there.

Plastigauge is your best friend here should you choose to do the job yourself

Good luck mate

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sorry to here this Dan , as everybody is saying better there then the pistons . But that does not help the matter .
Just need them 6 numbers this week .

Thanks for the update .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Mr B wrote:Hi mate,

Shit that's not good, but me personally I would prefer it to be a big end rather than a piston, hopefully you will just need a new set of big end bearings, the crankshaft journals will need to be measured for wear and taper or at the very minimum visually inspected for scoring and scratches, flush of the engine would be recommended as well to remove any old bearing material that may be floating around in there.

Plastigauge is your best friend here should you choose to do the job yourself

Good luck mate

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, fingers crossed I can work something out!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Big end bearing replacement is not that bad a job to tackle yourself at home at all
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Did your mechanic actually remove the sump to find the big end gone? Also I still think a compression test would be a good idea before you start taking things to bits - that idle was very lumpy.

If you need help getting machining done I do know them reasonably at the engineering firm we talked about.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:Did your mechanic actually remove the sump to find the big end gone?
Don't you have to raise the engine to get the sump off?
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

Check out the vid below, great trick for detecting rod knock

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 0SL9USQ88w

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Sorry for the delayed response guys, been trying to sort a lot out over the last few days and currently driving down to Wales for a wedding so have some free time finally!

My mechanic did a compression test and said that one of them was down, think it was number 3...?? Either way, he's changing my bushes on the working laser for me in a few weeks and in around a months time I've arranged for him to start fixing this issue - gives me some tine to get paid and save up!

Realistically I'm not going to get the time to look at it myself until the new year at the earliest so easier just to pay him to hopefully sort it. While the engine is out I'm also thinking about asking to have the head sent off to harden the valve seats and make it run properly on unleaded but we'll see

Thanks for the help again guys, appreciated as always!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sounds like lots of penny’s but it’s a lot f jobs ticked , if you can try and get the unleaded part sorted as the head off it’s a job half done .
Thanks for update dan and enjoy the wedding mate
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 pm To be honest if it's not inside the rocker cover, something on a piston or loose pulleys I'm fearing it's a cracked piston or cracked torque converter flex plate. I want to be proved wrong and hope it's a much more simple fix. Got to wait and see and obviously the sound is only what we can hear on a phone recording.
Paul was spot on again!
After all this time and having the engine rebuilt, it was all sorted, then two weeks later it ballsed up again guess what went wrong...? The Torque Converter! Replaced it but it has shagged the flexplate so I'm now on the look-out for one - have reached out to Martin but just in case he doesn't have one would appreciate it if anyone has one going spare??

Cheers
Danny
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I think problem solved - called the capri club, they said no, spoke to John who said he was looking at one on the shelf in the warehouse!

Lucky me!
Ordered and on the way
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That was lucky dan :cool: hope it sorts the problem mate , as aways I bet your see them on eBay soon
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:24 pm That was lucky dan :cool: hope it sorts the problem mate , as aways I bet your see them on eBay soon
Sods law isn't it? spend ages looking for part, find obscure part, three appear on ebay a week later