Daily Driver In Danger - Mk3 Ford Capri

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
rgntcapri
Car(s): 1. Ford Capri genuine X-pack project
2. Ford Capri 2.0 Daily

Daily Driver In Danger - Mk3 Ford Capri

Post by rgntcapri »

Hi guys,

Im new around here. I have an originally 1.6 body Capri, with a 2.0 (205 block) engine, and a 4 speed box. 300 miles covered in the last couple of days without a problem, however 20 yards from my parking space, gave the car a good rev, And the engine ceased to deliver power to the wheels.
I coasted into my parking space, and tried to start the car. A "spinning sound" like the starter pinion isn't engaging with the flywheel.. also when trying to start, as this spinning sound occurs from the starter, if i depress the clutch while trying to turn the engine, the clutch judders and grinds.. This literally just happened this evening/morning, and i'm intending to get up tomorrow and investigate.

i'm going to check the clutch adjuster as i've read on this forum apparently that could be the problem, and generally inspect the clutch cable. if that doesn't reveal the problem I guess ill take the starter off and look for any mischief. If neither of those reveal the problem i'm really stuck as i'm not in a position to take the gearbox off and start inspecting clutches and the like :S - I'm learning as i go , and really appreciate any help and advice. fingers crossed i can drive to work on monday hehe

Will also do a battery reading , and give the starter solenoid a knock before ripping anything apart. I can select gears when depressing the clutch with the engine off etc without a problem.

- R
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Daily Driver In Danger - Mk3 Ford Capri

Post by pbar »

It's great to see these cars still in everyday use. And welcome to the forum, hope you are able to make some progress with your issue.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum, there is a lot of good people on here with an insane amount of knowledge.
As for your problem I will hazard a guess that the centre of your clutch plate is broken, big rev, no power to wheel's and rattling and grinding when depressing the clutch pedal all good signs of a broken clutch plate, if this is the case then unfortunately the gearbox will need to be removed to rectify

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Have you had any rattling from the clutch/gearbox area in recent weeks? It could well be a shattered clutch plate but that doesn't explain why the starter won't turn the engine.

On several occasions over the past I have seen Pinto engined cars, mainly 1.6's though, have their flywheel bolts come loose or even fall out.

I feel you will have to pull out the gearbox to have a look at what's going on.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Gearbox off....only way to diagnose this. Clutch/flywheel problem definitely. Not worth trying anything else, that box has to come off.
rgntcapri
2. Ford Capri 2.0 Daily

Post by rgntcapri »

Cheers guys!
The day after i posted I was under the car, and the starter motors pinion gear, moves along the shaft, attempting to mesh with the flywheel ring gear, but doesnt, and unfortunately underneath i could see non meshing gears , and small ammounts of metal filings falling underneath.

I think you're dead right about the flywheel bolts, because as i was underneath, and ceased cranking the engine, i could see a hell of a lot of wobble... just internally. I've seen a kit on ebay that includes a clutch kits and a flywheel, i figure getting a new starter motor to boot would be ideal.
Thanks guys , i really appreiate the input , i've exhasuted my other options , the gearbox has to come off

Im thinking of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pinto-brisca ... :rk:1:pf:0 - Clutch kit with flywheel

(It specifies the 2.0 clutch kit, does it matter that i have a 4 speed :s embarassing question)
rgntcapri
2. Ford Capri 2.0 Daily

Post by rgntcapri »

Yeh i had noticed , if the engine was under maximum load, a vibrating type noise but tough to hear if it was from the center of the car or from the rear..i assumed it was the bump stops , as its lower than my other capri , and assumed under acceleration it couldnt go any more , so just vibrated instead, rather than being clutch related, as the clutch has behaved very well and not felt like its going or gone hard at all .
When investigating the starter motor , i noticed the top bolt was almost completely loose.. i hoped that that was enough to pull the started out of alignment to pull it free, anyway i tightened it all and tried it again, but it still wouldn't mesh. I inspected the clutch cable best i could and all seemed to be in order, battery readings etc seemed okay, and the wiring is all in good shape. hoping if i fork out for a cluch kit and a flywheel , and get a new starter .. fingers crossed the job itself goes okay, hoping thats enough to get her going ... really appreciate the help guys!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate, I wouldn't go buying anything just yet until you know for sure what the issue is, if it just the clutch you won't need a new starter motor or flywheel unless you have been extremely unlucky

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

If it is a loose flywheel I suggest you obtain some new or known good secondhand bolts and use some locktite threadlock on them before torqing them up.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I would suggest getting the gearbox off first of all then work out the parts you will need. Once the box is off then all should become obvious. The clutches on 1.6 and 2.0 are different sizes so be sure to get the correct one. I can supply the parts if I know what you will be needing.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Have you found what the problem was?

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I can recommend ARP flywheel bolts. Much tougher than the standard Ford ones and well worth it.
rgntcapri
2. Ford Capri 2.0 Daily

Post by rgntcapri »

HELLO ! what a trip - i really appreciate the help guys. thank you for your patience.
gearbox is off. i said " huh ... was expecting to see the flywheel and clutch still attached to the engine..." to my mate.
The bolts have sheared. I have a replacement flywheel and clutch kit sitting on the shelf, however apart from a small amount of wear, everything seems fine. apart from the flywheel bolt heads rattling around inside the clutch.

stud extractor? drilling? not sure where to start. i don''t own a welder sadly. (christmas list to myself :P)
i really miss my car now... both capris off the road is heartbreaking.. but im trying! .... trying to work out how to add a photo (even though i know you all know what im talking about)
Cheers!

Ryan
rgntcapri
2. Ford Capri 2.0 Daily

Post by rgntcapri »

Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Jeepers - I thought it would be the flywheel bolts that were the problem but I've never, in 40 years of working on cars seen all 6 sheared off like that.

I have in the past managed to get sheared ones out by center punching the sides round as if to turn the bolt in an anti-clockwise direction - you usually don't find that they are that tight and with a gentle bit of pin punching they will slowly start to undo. I certainly hope they will for your sake as they are made of high tensile steel which will be hard to drill and get a stud extractor into.

For god sake don't drill into them and damage the threads in the crank or you will be opening yourself up to a whole world of hurt - it would be easier to pull out the ehgine and either remove the crank or take the whole lot to a machine shop to get them professionally extracted.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Someone's probably been there before and re used the old flywheel bolts instead of replacing
Ryan.G
Car(s): Mk 3 X pack Capri

Post by Ryan.G »

Hi chaps -
Sorry for the lack of information, I rang up a chap called the thread wizard . Who was localism to me in the new forest & he was an absolute legend , got underneath the old girl and tapped out the bolts easssiiily- and for a very honest fee.

Anyone in trouble with threads , highly recommend him, he’s ex servicemen too absolute pleasure to deal with .

So I bought some ARP bolts & some blue thread lock and torqued them in and then found my clutch kit was for a 5 speed & not a 4 .. so the old clutch & flywheel was put into place to see if I could get it all back together . . & at least get her driving again & perhaps sell the 5 speed kit off & get a replacement 4 speed job lot slightly down the line.

I employed my best mate with cups of tea & we were underneath the car for an awfully long time & I just could get the gearbox in.. recasting need to get so far . . I decided to cover the car over when the awful weather hit & tbh did both the cars a favour to be tucked away until now ...

Just thought I’d give an update - really appreciate all your guys help!! Now it’s warmed up a tad , I’ll be back outside to try and get that damn gearbox in place ... I’m going to buy a proper clutch alignment tool so get it bang smack where it needs to be as rather stupidly thought I could do it by eye ... we live we learn!! Clutch alignment tool, align .. hopefully the damn gearbox goes back on - cheers
Ryan
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

I don't know how everyone else does it but I've found the easiest way to put a gearbox back in is with 2 jacks, one at either end of the gearbox to give it the right angle and height and just wiggle the fuck out of it until it goes in haha
If it's any consolation last night I put the gearbox back in my Capri by myself (2 jack method) in about 40 minutes.
Good luck with it and hopefully it'll be back on the road soon :)
Ratty as fuck
Ryan.G

Post by Ryan.G »

Heya :)

Gearbox , prop , starter etc is all back in . cranked her over & she missfired for 2-3 seconds. let the carbs do their thing.. and within 5 seconds the firing order was perfect.
being sat for so long during repairs there wasnt much fuel left inside, so turned the engine off and breathed a sigh of releif .....

did some small jobs like rewire the shoddy indicator wiring, and inspecting any earths that needed atttention. all seem okay.
was getting ready to lower the car down, put £10 of petrol in her and whent to start her again after finishing other jobs.. and now she wont fire at all..... No classic ford show this sunday :(

fuel is coming out the side of one of the trumpets , but i thought that might just be the weber 45 DCOE float overflow perhaps.

took the fuel line off & shes getting fuel when i turn the pump on.

My ignition coil leads, (the wires , not the distributor lead) dont give a reading when probed with the ignition on? the contacts themselves.
spark plug removed in cylinder 1 , and touching the block with the plug and trying to fire her , cannot see the spark plug sparking.

any advice where i go from here?

distributor is the electronic module type.... does away with the vaccuum advance. isnt my area of expertise but i do know ive bought 4 of the bleeding things for both of my cars and its annoying me now ... its £250 for a replacement coil and module dizzy or its £250 for a lumenition kit with a serperate module , and a module to go onto what i assume to be a dizzy like mine that houses a module on hte side , presumerably using the same mounts as the vacuum advance?!?

im pretty gutted, but ill go scrub the engine earths... any advice is gladly welcome :)

Have a lovely Bank holiday everyone :)
Ryan
Ryan.G

Post by Ryan.G »

Battery yanked out of my daily driven honda to try & start it so no issue with the battery charge . proper reading