Carb Blockage

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Carb Blockage

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote:Well I tried another condensor, and the problem remains unfortunately. Still cutting out on idle (after a few miles/warmed up, but once it does it, it will then do it again and again), and rev counter slightly erratic.

Think I will try the coil next.

Any other suggestions more than welcome. Thanks.
Have you tried blowing through the fuel pipes from the tank to make sure they are clear.
Do you have a spare fuel pump you could try?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I recently helped one of the Surrey club members with her one owner, 60,000 miles 2.0 Laser that was giving the same symptoms as you describe - twitchy rev counter and stalling at junctions.

I fitted some new points and a condenser then set the points up with a dwell meter. Feeler guages rarely are dead accurate especially on the Bosch distributors and I have done hundreds of them over my working life time on many makes of cars - set them with a dwell meter.

Following setting the points/dwell I set the timing to 8 degrees BTDC and the owner reported that the car ran the best it had for ages - probem sorted.

Not saying this is the exact trouble with yours Paul and it may need a coil or may not but for the sake of £15 it's got to worth trying the points and condenser or at least accurately setting the ones you've got plus the timing. You should always do this before messing about with the carb.

Dwell for those who don't know is the degrees of rotation of the distributor shaft with the points closed. Many multi - meters include a dwell meter but if you don't have one borrow one or they are not that expensive to buy.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

Peter - I don't have a spare pump to hand, but I shall keep that in mind on the part-to-change-to-elmiminate-the-fault list. Still some other parts to try first.

Paul - I did fit another set of points, a spare set I had though not new. And I have just fitted a new condensor. The condensor did make the car run smoother, though hasn't eradicated the issue. I will get a brand new set of points, then fit those as you have suggested. Also, Steve has kindly passed me a dwell meter so they can be accurately set.

Steve also passed me another coil to try, which I have just done, the issue is the same but at least it elminates that.

I am hopeful now that the new points (set accurately) with the new condensor fitted the other day, will have the same positive result and fix that Paul describes.

It only does it when the car is warm, after around 20 minutes of driving.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well, I got some new points today and fitted them, then set the timing as usual. Went for a drive and great, never cut out at all during the journey. Did another circuit and again, no cutting out, definite progress with the new points there,

But, just before I put the car away I thought I'd lower the idle speed a touch, was a little high, did that and all was well.

Put the headlights on and the revs lowered a touch as they usually do, but then the revs went right down and it almost cut out. Headlights off and the car was idling fine again. Headlights back on and revs lowered a touch, then it started to stumble again, lights off and idle back to normal.

What do we think of that?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

First as I was reading I thought that’s great it was something else not the Carb . And then as you my heart went ( o ,pants )
So one thing you have fixed one thing but now have a new issue in a way .
So I wonder f it’s worth trying the coil again but I don’t think that’s the thing , then the Earth strap is clan and tidy .
But now we did play around with the carb and there is the “IDLE ADJUSTMENT “ what is a bit of pain to get right sometimes .
A quick link here http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/adjust.htm

So it’s all guess work my end but if all was ok I wonder by just knocking it down a bit it knock the idle out ?
Sorry doing a midnight post here and mind not running on all systems .

One thing your getting there Paul , keep us posted

Jason
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Since it's a cheap option I would look at the battery connections first. Take the terminal connectors off and make sure they are clean and especially give the earth lead a good check and tighten, including where it bolts to the block.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thank you for replies, will take note as always.

I had a mess with mixture and idle last night before my latest test drive, and all was good again. Didn't cut out at all and never looked like it might do.

I am assuming that all the little things I did have given the result - carb cleaned out, jets cleaned, float bowl cleaned, new condensor, new points, timing, tune up. I have more finite adjustment with the mixture than I have had before, the carb cleanout must have been overdue. Points made a big difference.

MOT time soon now!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Did you set the points with a dwell meter?
pbar

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:Did you set the points with a dwell meter?
I have one which Steve kindly passed to me yes.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote:
Paul G wrote:Did you set the points with a dwell meter?
I have one which Steve kindly passed to me yes.
Makes hell of a difference on a Pinto. Gives the coil the correct time to develop the right charge for the spark.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s great Paul really pleased it’s sorted and as you say a nice clear out of the carb , best of luck with the MOT :beer:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:best of luck with the MOT :beer:
Thank you Jason, he passed with no advisories, I was happy about that :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s great news it’s almost like how much will my wallet be giving out . No you look after your Capri so deep down you know it’s fine . How she’s running now and you must have set the carb up nice as they do a emission test .
But also that’s that job done for the year .