New Car Programme on TV Soon

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: New Car Programme on TV Soon

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I'm currently watching Fifth Gear on Quest. This programme just doesn't do it for me, I think the presenters are boring and the car features are irrelevant to everyday motoring. For example, they have been testing a Bentley Bentayga, an SUV that costs £137,000, and taking it off-road....
Would anyone that buys a car that expensive ever take it off-road?

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I forgot it was on but glad I missed it the only bit I like is old jimmy doing something to a classic but it’s only on for 3 mins .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I forgot it was on but glad I missed it the only bit I like is old jimmy doing something to a classic but it’s only on for 3 mins
You haven't missed much. Even VBH is looking ropey these days. :(

If anybody is up and about, the WD Capri episode is being show right now - catch the full episode on +1.
As it's one of tbe earlier episodes, that one doesn't seem to have been broadcast for a while now..

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Fifth Gear isn't my favorite either, nothing on there I would want to own.....A bit like Modern Wheels / Classic Steals, it's just on in the background.

IIRC, WD Capri was pretty much the first episode, Ed was really 'Wooden' on camera and Brewer was thinner and no where near as annoying :shock:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I'm currently watching Fifth Gear on Quest. This programme just doesn't do it for me, I think the presenters are boring and the car features are irrelevant to everyday motoring. For example, they have been testing a Bentley Bentayga, an SUV that costs £137,000, and taking it off-road....
Would anyone that buys a car that expensive ever take it off-road?

Andrew.
Dis you know that the bodyshell for the Bentayga was originally made in the Skoda factory in Bratislava, Slovakia? The shells are now made in Germany and use the same floorplan/ chassis as the VW Toureg and Audi Q7. Final assembly takes place at Crewe but only because the UK government bunged VW a wad of cash to keep it "British".
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Ed was really 'Wooden' on camera
Ed's workshop was nowhere near as well equipped either.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:Dis you know that the bodyshell for the Bentayga was originally made in the Skoda factory in Bratislava, Slovakia? The shells are now made in Germany and use the same floorplan/ chassis as the VW Toureg and Audi Q7. Final assembly takes place at Crewe but only because the UK government bunged VW a wad of cash to keep it "British".
A sign of the times, Paul.
Platform sharing is common in the car industry now to keep costs down, but it makes the cars less individual. The only real difference between VAG cars these days seems to be restricted to different lights and grille.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:.
A sign of the times, Paul.

The only real difference between VAG cars these days seems to be restricted to different lights and grille.

Andrew.[/quote]

That's why I'm about to buy my third Skoda - Audi quality for a much lower price.

Won't be getting another Octavia VRS this time, more likely just the 1.0 115bhp or the 1.4 150 BHP. Both perform adequately (1.4 especially) and cost much less to run than the VRS.

Probably shouldn't say this on here, but none of the modern Fords (or Vauxhalls for that matter) float my boat and I would rather have a dose of the clap than buy a Renault or Peugeot.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote: Probably shouldn't say this on here, but none of the modern Fords (or Vauxhalls for that matter) float my boat and I would rather have a dose of the clap than buy a Renault or Peugeot.
Hi Paul,
I'm not a fan of most modern cars as they all have overly fussy styling details. It's funny you should mention Peugeot though as I had one of these on hire yesterday:

The headlights, by the way, are a perfect example of the fussy styling that I detest.
This model is a 208 GT Line with a peppy little 1.6 litre diesel engine. I really was impressed with the get-up-and-go of such a small engine. That's because it produces 254 Nm (187 lb/ft) of torque at 1750 RPM.

A GT, no less!

I only had the car for a day so I can't comment on the longevity or reliability of it. I can say that it lasted the day without any issues! :D

I still wouldn't like to own one though.

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:..A bit like Modern Wheels / Classic Steals, it's just on in the background.
Thought this was going to be promising.. but, it turned out to be just another also ran car program. The Capri one airs on Monday, watched it this week on TV Play. Won’t spoil it for anyone who hasn’t seen it, but when the remit is ‘I want a vehicle to take my family camping & carry kayaks’ & they give him a Capri to drive, you know they’ve totally lost it :lol:
Worth watching just to see the Laser on TV tho. The second episode also has a classic :ford: on it, not one you usually see but in great condition.
Andrew 2.8i wrote: This model is a 208 GT Line

I still wouldn't like to own one though.

Andrew.
Only ever owned one Peugeot, a 405 SRI back in the early 90s. It was quick & handled brilliantly, but the electrics were shockingly bad. Everything stopped working one by one :doh: , owned it for just 6 months, never fancied owning another.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Thought this was going to be promising.. but, it turned out to be just another also ran car program.
Sadly, :agree:
I hoped that it would turn out to be better. Tomorrows episode sounds like a must-see though. :D

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I can’t wait to here what you all say , and please I know none of you will want to but stay with the one after the Capri . :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I thinking of taking the 3 kids wife and dog camping with a boat , yes let’s take the Capri and what was he thinking when he picked that camper .

Anyway here’s the Capri that was on the programme .

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C925426

Can’t wait to here what you all say and the next one is worse , funny and you was right to think , I would not be seen dead in that as he picks the car . :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:So I thinking of taking the 3 kids wife and dog camping with a boat , yes let’s take the Capri and what was he thinking when he picked that camper .
I'm a bit late responding as I was busy unloading a kayak from the boot of my Capri....
So, his newish Dodge Nitro (25MPG there or thereabouts) is way too uneconomical on fuel on long journeys........so he chooses an old 3.5 ton van instead. Tit.
There were a varied selection of cars for him to try, none of which actually fulfilled the brief.... :roll:

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Nice find Jason. Is it me or is the passenger door a different shade than the rest of the car?
Looks like the dealer might take some of your watches in part exchange! :)

In the second episode I definitely would have chosen the XR2. Even if it meant I'd miss out on driving into the sunset with Rebecca in the passenger seat! :lol:

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Why show him a Capri if he needs alot of space :?
The Jag would probably cost more to run than his current car, and the VW looked like :turd:

The Impreza would be a better choice and far quicker than the Civic which looked like my 4 year old grandson had modified....As for the Astra :lol:
The XR2i although it was smoking well doesn't deserve to be modified....Again, their facts are all wrong!

Certainly not inspired me to watch too much more of this!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Certainly not inspired me to watch too much more of this!
:agree: Sums it up nicely.
andyd

Post by andyd »

It's obvious Rebecca knew the importance of the Impreza and to an extent the 2i in their class....

If DJ Boy really went for the Astra :goodluck: with the insurance :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: If my son bought that I would take him for a drugs test :cigar:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Your thoughts were the same as mine , what the hell was they thinking . I could not wait to here what you was going to say , also I can’t belive the last bloke picked that Astra

Best hour laugh I have had for sometime .

Yes I see he takes watches I could swap a watch for a few cars .

Will check out the blue carpri doors
andyd

Post by andyd »

As it's only about half way through the series, the best bet imo will be to have it on in the background with no sound....