Dash Protectors

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Dash Protectors

Post by Jasonmarie »

I rolled mine up in the boot in my bag ,perhaps I should put my on the dash over winter ? My only worry was the air getting threw the vents and perhaps making the underside of the Matt damp ?
Thoughts Ladies & Gents .

As last year the gagarge did get down to 1c so not freezing also I do have the windows open a crack . And there are two air bricks in the top of the garage .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Very nice :cheers: , haven’t ordered one yet as I’m unsure what surround colour to order, red (to match stripes) or black. Both look good :drama: :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nick went Black Rob and it was nice , he has stated doing white ones but that would be a little OTT
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I rolled mine up in the boot in my bag ,perhaps I should put my on the dash over winter ? My only worry was the air getting threw the vents and perhaps making the underside of the Matt damp ?

As last year the gagarge did get down to 1c so not freezing also I do have the windows open a crack . And there are two air bricks in the top of the garage .
That's a good point, Jason, and not one that I'd thought about. However, my view would be to treat the situation like using car cover. You don't put it on and forget about it for the winter. Put it on and check it every now and again. If you find evidence of dampness (either under the dashmat or under a car cover) remove the cover and allow to dry. That should be enough to prevent problems in either situation.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:I rolled mine up in the boot in my bag ,perhaps I should put my on the dash over winter ? My only worry was the air getting threw the vents and perhaps making the underside of the Matt damp ?

That's a good point, Jason, and not one that I'd thought about. However, my view would be to treat the situation like using car cover. You don't put it on and forget about it for the winter. Put it on and check it every now and again. If you find evidence of dampness (either under the dashmat or under a car cover) remove the cover and allow to dry. That should be enough to prevent problems in either situation.

Andrew.
If the garage is dry I would agree with Andrew on this.

Last winter my car was covered with sheets for 6 months and drivers side window left open about an inch too. When sheets were removed everything was fine, even though the garage temp went down to zero more than once.

I shall do the same this winter too.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Caprifan Rob wrote:I’m unsure what surround colour to order, red (to match stripes) or black. Both look good :drama: :D
Fordoholic Nick wrote:url=https://flic.kr/p/2aYQXax]Image[/url]2018-09-11_04-59-31 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr
Rob I agree both look great with Red or Black edging. Steve has a black/red on his and it looks superb. One thing I will say is the black edging is a deffo different shade to the mat itself ( mine on the right in pic )and is a deffo contrast rather than being the sama colour and looking bland. Rob, you cant lose mate as whichever you go for you wont be disapointed one bit... :goodluck: :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote:I’m unsure what surround colour to order, red (to match stripes) or black. Both look good :drama: :D
Fordoholic Nick wrote:url=https://flic.kr/p/2aYQXax]Image[/url]2018-09-11_04-59-31 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr
Rob I agree both look great with Red or Black edging. Steve has a black/red on his and it looks superb. One thing I will say is the black edging is a deffo different shade to the mat itself ( mine on the right in pic )and is a deffo contrast rather than being the sama colour and looking bland. Rob, you cant lose mate as whichever you go for you wont be disapointed one bit... :goodluck: :)
Cheers Nick, thanks for the picture :cheers: . As my dash is grey, think I’ll play it safe & go grey with black edging. It’s great that we’ve got the choice, at the start of the year, they weren’t even around.
All the best
Rob
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Thoughts Ladies & Gents
Jason its up to you fella but I would not necessarily leave your Cool Dash on your dash for the whole winter if you are just leaving it for the whole time. No need to imo and as you seem a tad worried about it getting/causing damp then don't mate. Its such a supple material that I reckon loosely folded maybe in your wardrobe for the winter ?? Or even lying flat on top of your wardrobe, or even better still lying flat beside you in your bed mate...but you may have to discuss this with Marie ! :lol:

Your Ford bag like you said will be a perfect place to store it rolled up when you know it will be taken out regular at shows. If you do roll it for long periods then I would be inclined to roll it with the top side outer so when you unroll it will want to lay flat at the ends rather than turn up if this makes sense !! But as said its such a lovely flexible material that Cool Dash use it can be stored in many ways I am sure, but as you store your Laser over at your Dads its not quite as easy just to pop out to have a quick look if you got worried but you could always set up a red hotline with your Dad :?: :?: :lol:

Re sheets/covers on the Capri over the winter I have never fully hibernated B112. It always left taxed, mot and insured ready to go when a lovely crisp winters morning springs up, or John contacts me at 10pm sat night to go to a breakfast meet the next morn :lol: Remember last Christmas Eve I went out for a drive and could not stop smiling !! I have a breathable cover I bought when I first bought B112 and its been great. No condensation but yep just like Andrew has said I do go check up on it every few days when the weather is too bad to bring it out and its parked up. But every chance I do try to get it out during the winter...unless the dreaded gritters spoil the party. Then it gets serious !!! Battery disconnected, handbrake off, windows open a bit, Cover on. So maybe deep down I am unwittingly preparing for a hibernation for B112 without realising I am :lol: :lol: :lol:

Suppose I always do a 70% hibernation but try telling this to a bear...he would laugh at me before eating me !!

I have a feeling that I will be trying even harder than before to keep B112 out of the bleedin rain when I get B112 back from Tickover. I have had a lot of major work done to the suspension and underside this year so that wet stuff will cause me even more distress than before !! Its going to be emotional !! :lol: :lol:

All the best chaps,

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes perhaps I should get a cover I have got a storm force one for outside so it’s easy and clean if I leave in the drive , or I did over the warm summer leave on the drive a few nights with out a cover .
I would love one of them cocoons that blow air around the car all the time .
I do start up about every 6 weeks pull the car out and drive up and down the drive for about 15mins and yes as I do this on a nice day I think all I could go for a run .
My concerns are these micro blisters that turn up in the paint as it happen to my nextdoor neighbours car , this one was red as well but he bought the cover from Porsche and the next day he had blisters and milky paint work . Thank god as the car was only 1 year old they paid for it to be fixed .

One question ( OCD time ) what does the cover do a part from stopping the car having dust on ?

All do I get a cover or do I leave alone ? :doh:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:
One question ( OCD time ) what does the cover do a part from stopping the car having dust on ?

All do I get a cover or do I leave alone ? :doh:
I use sheets just to keep dust and dead woodlice (You'll be surprised how many dead ones I see over the winter :shock: ) from the paint.
This year I will pobably remove the sheets after a couple of months to shake off the dust and let car breathe for a little then recover....

I left the dashmat on the back seat of the XR last winter and it was fine come Springtime, so leaving it on the dash should'nt be an issue, just remove and check occasionally or leave it where you feel happier :cheers:

In the Spring we can all compare our views on our Winter mat location and how they survived :drama: :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote: As my dash is grey, think I’ll play it safe & go grey with black edging. It’s great that we’ve got the choice, at the start of the year, they weren’t even around.
All the best
Rob
Good choice Rob, as that was my choice until I saw the red edging.... :helpinghand:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:All do I get a cover or do I leave alone ? :doh:
It's up to the individual user whether they use the cover or not. I use mine according to the manufacturers instructions and that works for me.

The cover may also help to prevent scratches if the garage is in use for storage etc. and people may brush against the car.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Thanks you Top People for the Answers , I did have a look lastnight at covers and could not make up my mind what one to get ?
Any suggestions?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Thanks you Top People for the Answers , I did have a look lastnight at covers and could not make up my mind what one to get ?
Any suggestions?
Hi Jason,
If it's just for indoor use and your garage is dry, I would get a soft indoor cover.
You've got a stromforce cover haven't you? That's perfect for outdoor use or can be used indoors too.
I agree with your earlier comment that a car coon would be the ideal solution for use inside the garage.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Cheers Andrew yes them cocoons do look nice but I think a bit pricey . Had a look on eBay for a nice just in door cover and they are around £50-£180 price . It’s a shame you can’t see them in a shop .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:As my dash is grey, think I’ll play it safe & go grey with black edging. It’s great that we’ve got the choice, at the start of the year, they weren’t even around.
Hi Rob,

Nice one fella. As Andrew has already said this will look really great mate. They all look so stunning so it really is just down to the individual as to what colour scheme to go with. I am delighted with mine being black/black with the red laser logo 'popping' nicely :)

Rob, wait till you see the quality of them. You wont be disappointed fella :)

All the best mate

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote: I use mine according to the manufacturers instructions and that works for me.
What you "cover your car" with it Andrew ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: …. :sorry: ...could not resist this :wave:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:Cheers Andrew yes them cocoons do look nice but I think a bit pricey
Hey Jason, what a coincidence fella as Emma (Carter) on Capri World just put one up for sale today and it was snapped up at £325 brand new ! She has a spare one. Great price and the right size for a Capri.

Re Car Covers I always use mine all year round. Yep as already said the obvious advantage is dust. Dust will build up and any other latger particles that always seem to find their way under that gap under the garage floor :lol: I personally just don't see the point of spending the time to clean and polish B112 then put it back in the garage only to find it covered in dust 10 days later ! I can remove my cover and its just as shiny as the day I shined it :lol:

One other reason for a cover is if a seagull sneaks into your garage when you go check on it at gets trapped inside then decides to take it out on your stunning Laser...or a Cat sneaks in, gets trapped and chases the seagull around !! :lol:

I bought a made to measure breathable cover quite a few years back. It was not cheap but it fits B112 like a glove as its shapes specifically for a Capri and being breathable it allows the paintwork to breath. Used to work in a Yacht Chandlers so learned quite a lot about breathable fabrics and how they work. Might have been a bit OTT buying the one I did but ten years later its still doing the business !!

Jason, your paintwork on your Laser is better than mine mate...its faultless so I would deffo consider getting a cover to protect it from dust, particles of anything else and scratches. It really deserves it your Laser as its a beauty !!

I agree with Andrew as those soft lined ones look spot on for indoor use. Mine does not have this soft lining as when I bought it there was nowhere near the choice we have now. I would and still may buy a soft lined one after Christmas for B112.

All the best

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:what you "cover your car" with it Andrew ???
:lol:
Using it that way works for me! :D

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:what a coincidence fella as Emma (Carter) on Capri World just put one up for sale today and it was snapped up at £325 brand new ! She has a spare one. Great price and the right size for a Capri.
By my reckoning, a size 4 carcoon is the smallest that the Capri will fit in and the cheapest I can find for that size is £466 from Demon Tweeks.

Andrew.