mot today

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: mot today

Post by andyd »

Well done JM :cheers:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Anyone spot anything unusual with this one?

Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Well it was MOT'd at the end of October which is the normal time for the clocks to go back!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:Well it was MOT'd at the end of October which is the normal time for the clocks to go back!
Very clever Paul, you got it!
andyd

Post by andyd »

192 miles difference...
I had that a few years ago on a Capri, the tester put the wrong mileage down so had to go back and get the correct paperwork.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Cheers for all the kind words and Paul yes as Andy with a red 2.8i has pointed out but it’s easy done as I looked yesterday and thought for a second my 5 look more like a 6 ( perhaps I should go to specsavers ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I had that a few years ago on a Capri, the tester put the wrong mileage down so had to go back and get the correct paperwork.
The MOT tester once wrote the wrong registration down on an certificate for a Chevette I owned. I didn't notice until I went to the P.O. to tax the car a few months later. :roll: Obviously the P.O. cashier refused to issue a new tax disc. What a kerfuffle that was.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I had that a few years ago on a Capri, the tester put the wrong mileage down so had to go back and get the correct paperwork.
The MOT tester once wrote the wrong registration down on an certificate for a Chevette I owned. I didn't notice until I went to the P.O. to tax the car a few months late. :roll: Obviously the P.O. cashier refused to issue a new tax disc. What a kerfuffle that was.

Andrew.
You owned a Chevette ? :lowrider: you kept this quite any pictures and what one ?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:You owned a Chevette ? :lowrider: you kept this quite any pictures and what one ?
I owned a rally prepared HSR in silver. The 2.3 litre one..….

…..not really, it was a two door saloon 1.3 L in henna red. AVS116X.
My brother had a top of the range four door saloon GLS with rostyle wheels. I was well jealous of it!

Andrew.

Edit: Chevette last taxed in 1994.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I suppose the benefit of it all being computerised now is that such mistakes are (If procedure is followed) a lot more difficult.

I went to the post office to pay the excise license about 6 weeks ago. "Dunno what Vehicle Excise Duty is" said the sullen clerk "all we can issue here is road tax anyway". Sigh!
andyd

Post by andyd »

tejb1 wrote:
I went to the post office to pay the excise license about 6 weeks ago. "Dunno what Vehicle Excise Duty is" said the sullen clerk "all we can issue here is road tax anyway". Sigh!
That sounds about right....There's no substitute for experience :sarcasmalert:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

tejb1 wrote:I suppose the benefit of it all being computerised now is that such mistakes are (If procedure is followed) a lot more difficult.
Yes, something like that could never happen. Could it? Sadly, the system still relies on the tester entering the correct details on the computer.
Case study:

Vauxhall Astra (not mine, by the way) G678BDE.

Open up the history, just to check:

Now have a look at this:

The registration has been incorrectly entered onto the system as G878BDE, which is actually a 600cc Yamaha motorbike. Checking the MOT history reveals that it must be the same Astra as the mileage is identical:

The incorrect details being entered into the system has happened to the Astra not once, but 3 times over a 5 year period, although the last time was a few years ago now, in 2013. I don't know if more checks/failsafes have been put in place since then, but it might be good practice to check the details on the MOT certificate before you leave the MOT station.

Andrew.

Edit: I've just noticed that the DVLA website encourages people to contact them if the details entered are incorrect, so they must be expecting for mistakes to still happen.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Thank you for that Andrew as my neighbour has a Porsche 911 the old widow makers or air cooled and his MOT mileage is wrong for one year so I will let him know as it really bugs him . Had to help him over the weekend to put oil in what a bloody nightmare that turned in to just getting the oil cap off .

Picture of engine bay with such a massive intercooler .

The oil cap is on the right under the intercooler on top which looks like a right pain to remove we used a funnel and one of Marie’s solar lights , tubes the lights fit in to .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Jason,
Jasonmarie wrote:The oil cap is on the right under the intercooler on top
I suppose Porsche didn't give much thought to that as somebody rich enough to buy a 911 would probably have left it to the main dealer to check the oil. Drivers of new cars don't seem to bother with maintenance anymore.

Very nice car there. Is that a 993 Turbo ('95-'97)?

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes it is a Jan 1997 your good Andrew with just a picture I have a picture when he first got it last year but now has a personal number plate , he is moving as we both store our cars in the same place and he wants to get a bigger garage for his car collection just down the road . But with luck I can park the Capri next to his small car collection when he moves .
Going to have a man cave built with a kettle so we can just talk cars .