My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Post by Arya2.0S »

Absolutely knackered as I've been working on this all day but its finally finished!
Obviously I still need to get a new S stripe kit but thats going to have to wait a while so I can save up for a new one lol. I spent all my money on new headlights and paint supplies, I figured actually being able to see in the dark was a bigger priority lol
Other than that though I'm really happy with the result, and I just cant get over how good the front end looks with the RGA spoiler! (major pain in the ass to fit though!) The combination of the spoiler, the MK2 grille and the clear indicator lenses just makes me giddy with excitement, and I cant believe it actually belongs to me!
The paint isnt a perfect match as I mentioned before, but its more than good enough for me. Its only in certain light that you can see the difference anyway.
Its strange though, the colour of the wing doesn't match the bonnet, but the paint matches perfectly on the door and the rear quarter (i only painted the front wing and door).
So im thinking this is down to UV and sun exposure on the flat bonnet thats always facing towards the sky, vs the sides which has less exposure to it...thats my hypothesis anyway lol.
Super happy with the finish though, as you can see its lovely and shiny and personally i think it looks better than before. I also gave it a wash and waxed it with some Autoglym wet wax stuff. I've never used this product before but i can understand why everyone raves about it because its a good bit of gear and so much easier! I'll definitely stick to using their products in the future.
My dad also did an awesome job with the rust repair, so hopefully that will stop the tin cancer from coming back in that spot for another couple of decades.
Anyway enough of my babbling, on to pics:

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

That looks fantastic, well done!

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:That looks fantastic, well done!

Andrew.
:agree: :cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

:cool:
That has really change the look of the car and I will say what a great job you have done , :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Thanks everyone. I'm really chuffed with the results. Now I just have to replace the drivers side door as the hinges are knackered so the door drops everytime you open it and the outer skin is separating from the frame (I already have another door waiting), and get that turbo tail restored and fitted, and then I think that will be everything I wanted to do don. Aside from perhaps changing the colour of the bonnet and maybe some different wheels but that's a long way off due to the sheer cost of new rims and tires.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Well.... it's been a while 😅
Still got the car but she's currently SORN. Been sitting around since January as that's the last time I drove it for the MOT and was sitting around for a few months prior to that.

Just a change in circumstances and not being in town so I couldn't drive her.
But I'm working on changing that, unfortunately due to poor mental health and said circumstances I haven't been able to look after her, she she's in a bit of a state now as she's just been sitting outside and needs some work doing.

I'm going to give her a nice refresh, redo the paint as the roof has gone crazed for some reason, also going to finally paint the new drivers side door (as the old one needed replacing due to knackered hinges) and take care of a few bits of rust.

Spending the next month getting her back in shape.
Going to get her a new set of wheels and tyres and got a refurbished turbo tail waiting to be fitted.

Can't wait to drive her again and start using her as a daily again.

Here's how she currently looks:

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Its good to see you back working on the Capri again.
The paint crazing was a bit of bad luck
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Not_Anumber wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:01 pm Its good to see you back working on the Capri again.
The paint crazing was a bit of bad luck
Yeah not sure what caused it. I've rubbed it down a couple of layers now and I seem to be through it so hopefully that will do.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Its probably worth spraying on a couple of coats of isolation primer when you do it just in case.
Just dont make the mistake a mate of mine did by then forgetting about it and rubbing right through the isolation primer whilst preparing for paint. :(
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Got these to put on the car once it's all finished. Can't wait!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Getting there. Everything's painted again, just got to rub down the lacquer and polish then can put everything back together and she's done!
Can't wait really miss driving her.

Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Back to its former glory and will look great with the new wheels.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Paul G wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:33 pm Back to its former glory and will look great with the new wheels.
Thanks. It should look alright when all is said and done, all things considered. Looking forward to getting the new wheels and turbo tail fitted the most though! 🤣
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

You certainly get stuck in and do some good stuff with the bodywork/paint on your car. Quite inspiring actually.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

pbar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:18 am You certainly get stuck in and do some good stuff with the bodywork/paint on your car. Quite inspiring actually.
Why thank you. It's mostly my dad he's the expert and work horse lol. I get tired out yet he keeps going, not bad for a man in his mid 70's.
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Post by tazla »

Hi just read the full thread and well done ! Your doing a great job.enjoy :D
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

tazla wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:56 pm Hi just read the full thread and well done ! Your doing a great job.enjoy :D
Thank you! Can't wait to drive her again next week.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Finally finished! She's not perfect, there's a few little bits that didn't come out very well, but all things considered overall I'm happy with the results.
Time to start enjoying her again.

Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Great colour that, spoilers look good and work well with those deep rimmed alloys, they really fill the arches. Nice work, are you adding the S stripes too?
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:07 pm Great colour that, spoilers look good and work well with those deep rimmed alloys, they really fill the arches. Nice work, are you adding the S stripes too?
Thanks! No I think I'll leave them off this time. I like the clean look.