Breakdown Cover

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by andyd »

My son is with Start Rescue, and when his car suddenly stopped just outside the city centre this week, he rang them to be told he would get a call back within the hour....In the meantime his mate came out and put the offending power steering belt back on for him, so he didn't get to use the service.
jackinthegreen
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (fair-weather daily driver)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (rain/ice/salt daily driver)

Previous moderns:
Ford Focus RS MK2 (traded in)
Jaguar Sovereign (traded in)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto (traded in)
Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6i 8v spi (exported to Poland)
Vauxhall Astra MK3 1.4i 8v mpi (broken for parts)

Post by jackinthegreen »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
jackinthegreen wrote:My recommendation for breakdown cover would be just to go with the very cheapest, as this was the service I received as an AA "gold" customer. I dread to think how they'd treat you if you were an "ordinary" customer. As for the AA, avoid them like an ebola victim.
It's good to hear of experiences of breakdowns, as so few of us have cause to use our breakdown cover it's difficult to know how good the providers are when we need them.
It sounds as though you have not received particularly good service from the AA. In reference to the patrols not carrying spares in their vans, I suppose these days it's not really practical to carry spares for every single model of car.

Andrew.
Yes, I've been really fortunate. Over all my cars, in 18 years I only needed them 3 times. Of course, you don't want to take the chance by having no cover, just in case this year is your 1-in-6! It's a shame, I spent all that money, and gave them 3 opportunities to prove their worth, which they completely :swear: d-up.

When they came out to one of my mates a few years previously, the van had a couple of different belts in (about 4 sizes of V-belt and maybe 6 sizes of the wider modern serpentine drive-belts) all hanging on 1 hook taking up virtually no space, so that they could botch most cars by the side of the road as a "get you home" measure. It had just enough cables, belts, tie-wraps, hose-clamps, etc. in it that you could botch the vast majority of cars by the side of the road safely-enough to get the driver home or to a garage under their own steam. I guess I was working under the vain hope that this was still the case. Unfortunately, nowadays all they can do is tell you what a fault code means, charge your battery or inflate your tyre with tyre-weld. Otherwise it's a tow. Such is the world we live in now. Everything is a sealed unit to be thrown away not repaired. Cars included. God, I sound like an old fart. I'm not even out of my 30s yet! :nopity:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Very strange but I phoned the RAC to stop my breakdown cover on the Capri . My policy is Apri to April 2019 I payed £96 for the year . I said to them it’s in the garage now so will not need the policy and the bloke said well keep in running and we can give you £50 back ? So I get the documents and all is the same and £50 on its way back .

Very strange .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Very strange but I phoned the RAC to stop my breakdown cover on the Capri . My policy is Apri to April 2019 I payed £96 for the year . I said to them it’s in the garage now so will not need the policy and the bloke said well keep in running and we can give you £50 back ? So I get the documents and all is the same and £50 on its way back .

Very strange .
That's great, half price cover! Plus you've still got breakdown cover in case you decide to take the car out during Autumn or even Winter.
Are you SORNing your car this year then? You usually keep it taxed all year don't you?

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

No i did Sorn last year and it worked out well as the weather was pants I think young Nick Keeps his Taxed , I will do mine after the MOT what’s October 2nd .
What about your self as the weather looks like rain and storm for the next few months .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:What about your self as the weather looks like rain and storm for the next few months .
I SORN the Capri during the winter as that gives me the chance to catch up with the service/maintenance jobs.

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:What about your self as the weather looks like rain and storm for the next few months .
I SORN the Capri during the winter as that gives me the chance to catch up with the service/maintenance jobs.

Andrew.
I sorn mine for the same reasons. Bad weather & good intentions of getting lots done, then finding I’d rather be indoors in the warm and end up cramming what jobs I can around driving it in the summer :doh:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Well, to draw this topic to a conclusion, I put the renewal on the back burner while I formulated some tactics to go into battle with the AA renewel helpline. To cut a short story even shorter, I got the renewal dates mixed up and the new cover period had already started. :doh: :crying: So I got spanked this year but I'll put all the excellent advice to good use at the next renewal.
Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond. :)

Andrew
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew love it you sound just like me I just got a quote for some fencing on Saturday . The door bell went so out I went told the bloke what I wanted and he said will email you back .

Go in doors to be told by the wife she has sorted it and they will be fixing the fence in a few weeks . I just said you never told me , but she did because I had put it down on the calendar . :banghead:

When they put me in a home I hope we can have a Capri members nursing home can I put your name down mate :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:
When they put me in a home I hope we can have a Capri members nursing home can I put your name down mate :lol:
Whoever gets there first save some seats....We can bring our own dash mats :cheers:
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

I use Auto Aid https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

It covers me and the wifey in any car we are driving. I haven't needed them yet but others I know rate them for good service. It hasn't got home start or anything fancy but I just need basic cover to get me and the car home if the worst happens.

Neil
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: So I got spanked this year

Andrew
You on the right forum with that confession :shock:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Looks like 4 seats book 3 with dash mats and the other with aircraft weekly :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote:You on the right forum with that confession :shock:
:lol:

This is the BDSM section, right? Or is that a driving school? :?

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

I have just taken out the 3 star cover with Start Rescue for just under £48 https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover

Hopefully won't need it but time may tell if good or not....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I have just taken out the 3 star cover with Start Rescue for just under £48 https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover
That's great value, Andy. Looking at what you get, as long as you don't take the car abroad, the three star cover is the one to go for.
I'm sure with your low-mileage beauty you won't be needing to use it anyway.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I have just taken out the 3 star cover with Start Rescue for just under £48 https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover
That's great value, Andy. Looking at what you get, as long as you don't take the car abroad, the three star cover is the one to go for.
I'm sure with your low-mileage beauty you won't be needing to use it anyway.

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
Yes on paper it sounds good....
My new insurers Brentacre only do a recovery service for £24, so I declined that and opted for this instead....Otherwise Brentacre were very good with free agreed valuation that lasts for 2 years :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Otherwise Brentacre were very good with free agreed valuation that lasts for 2 years :cheers:
Hi Andy,
That's a great move. Prices of Capris are so high, agreed valuations are essential now. Did they accept your estimation of vaue?

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Otherwise Brentacre were very good with free agreed valuation that lasts for 2 years :cheers:
Hi Andy,
That's a great move. Prices of Capris are so high, agreed valuations are essential now. Did they accept your estimation of vaue?

Andrew.
Yes Andrew, full value agreed within 3 hours of emailing pics and relevent form :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Funny was talking to Nick this week about car insurance value they give on our capris as they have gone up again this year and with the price of spares I can only see them going up .
I think and hope you don’t think I have gone mad ( you all think that anyway ) that’s the 2.8i should be £20k and our lasers should be around the £12k mark .

What’s your thoughts ?