Tyre balancing

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jackinthegreen
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (fair-weather daily driver)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (rain/ice/salt daily driver)

Previous moderns:
Ford Focus RS MK2 (traded in)
Jaguar Sovereign (traded in)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto (traded in)
Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6i 8v spi (exported to Poland)
Vauxhall Astra MK3 1.4i 8v mpi (broken for parts)

Tyre balancing

Post by jackinthegreen »

So I got my el-cheapo Maxxis tyres from 2010 changed today (finally) for Firestones. By heck, I didn't realise how much better they are. It feels so precise on the road, traction and cornering so much better, there's no floating, drifting or wobbles... Everything is just somehow "tight" and "precise". The car feels almost modern. I can't believe how much more composed the old girl is. I won't attribute this just to Firestone - I'd guess it's a combination of branded tyres and the fact that they're new. Neither are a patch on the vintage Goodyear Eagles that were on her when I bought her though... but wow, I can't believe what a difference 4 pieces of rubber make!

Anyway, as usual I'm rambling. On to my query... I just noticed that one of my wheels has an absolutely absurd amount of weights on it. Like 4 rows of them stuck to it, plus a load of those weights you usually tap into the edge of a steel wheel on the inside rim too. I queried with the tyre fitter and he said he'd checked the wheel over really carefully and there's absolutely no damage. It's not bucked or anything. The tyre is fine too, and runs true just like the wheel. He'd been as puzzled as me about it. Seeing as this is only the 2nd set of tyres I've ever had on the car, I haven't really noticed this before. Is this just a "feature" of Ford's alloy wheels or quality-control in the 80s? Is this common, or is there something I should look at more closely/worry about. The wheel is now balanced fine, and the car runs great - I'm just wondering why an immaculate 13" 4-spoke would need ridiculous quantities of weights adding to it. I'm reluctant to just swap it for my spare, as I have reason to believe my spare wheel is the original factory-fit, completely unused.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Re: Tyre balancing

Post by timfromull »

I'd question the actual tyre being the guilty party :headscratch:
jackinthegreen

Previous moderns:

Post by jackinthegreen »

Yes, thanks, I was wondering that myself as i just don't remember it having that many weights on before. I don't see what else it could be (despite the tyre-fitter's discussion). Presumably still no cause for concern?
jackinthegreen

Previous moderns:

Post by jackinthegreen »

By the way, do you have a red laser? Or do you live near Cobridge and have a white 4-cylinder of some sort?
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

I live in Maybank and have a white 2 litre but she's under restoration.
I knock about in a new Vivaro so it won't be me you've seen, mukka.