What is the point?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

What is the point?

Post by Arya2.0S »

What's the point of all the backfiring cars at car meets these days?
Like...it just all sounds awful. I'm all for revving the nuts off a good sounding engine and I know there's the occasional natural backfire but all these engines sound so dumb and fake when that's all they do. I don't even understand what it is they're doing that's making the backfiring noise, but it sounds awful.
Can anyone explain?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: What is the point?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:Can anyone explain?
No, but as you say it does seem all the rage within the boy racer community these days.
I was in Aberystwth (It's a sleepy market town) the other day when a souped-up Saxo accelerated and then slowed down to the accompaniment of much backfiring. It was loud, but not as loud as the tutting of disapproval from the elderly onlookers. Although I don't approve of such displays of driving in a public place, it was rather amusing to watch the exaggerated reaction of the spectators!
I wonder if people have the same reaction when they hear a Capri with a sporty exhaust note driving down the street?

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Can anyone explain?
I wonder if people have the same reaction when they hear a Capri with a sporty exhaust note driving down the street?

Andrew.
I doubt it, our cars actually sound half decent. :xd:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Spent today in Castle Combe for the Forge action day. Never heard so many cars in one place popping & banging. Must be a thing.. :lol:
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

It all depends of the car/engine it's coming from, like don't get me wrong if I see something mid 90's and Japanese (the typical drift cars of choice at the minute) popping and banging down the road it's does put a smile on my face.

BUT......

a piece of shit saxo has no place doing it, unless it's a purpose built track car with the power to make it actually a respectable car
Ratty as fuck
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

ThatGuy wrote:It all depends of the car/engine it's coming from, like don't get me wrong if I see something mid 90's and Japanese (the typical drift cars of choice at the minute) popping and banging down the road it's does put a smile on my face.

BUT......

a piece of shit saxo has no place doing it, unless it's a purpose built track car with the power to make it actually a respectable car
I feel like a lot of it is fake you know? Like... didn't Jaguar do that with their new....is it f type? Some sporty two doors rwd car that they artificially made to sound better than it really does, pops and bangs included.
I don't even understand why they do that, like in a real car that does that naturally, what causes it?
Burning off excess fuel?
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

The main culprits will be the Volvo engined Fords like the RS Focus. It's basically turbo chatter and bleed from the wastegate. It's made 10x worse if anti lag is fitted. Then you'll get 20ft flames on overrun too. Noisy kin things. :roll:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

SmokeEm wrote:The main culprits will be the Volvo engined Fords like the RS Focus. It's basically turbo chatter and bleed from the wastegate. It's made 10x worse if anti lag is fitted. Then you'll get 20ft flames on overrun too. Noisy kin things. :roll:
Had this system on my last ST https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoXifpZ-WXc

Nice cars and sound great as does the Impreza, but nothing worse than someone sitting there revving them.....Really gets on my t*ts :swear:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I am worried now that when I pick the mother in law up people are going to say there’s another idiot making his can “Pop , fart , and has flames coming from the rear . The old girl can’t help it ..... :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Jasonmarie wrote:I am worried now that when I pick the mother in law up people are going to say there’s another idiot making his can “Pop , fart , and has flames coming from the rear . The old girl can’t help it ..... :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: I wonder if people have the same reaction when they hear a Capri with a sporty exhaust note driving down the street?
Andrew.
:roll: :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

Kids of today eh? Must be getting old! :tongue:
jackinthegreen
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (fair-weather daily driver)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (rain/ice/salt daily driver)

Previous moderns:
Ford Focus RS MK2 (traded in)
Jaguar Sovereign (traded in)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto (traded in)
Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6i 8v spi (exported to Poland)
Vauxhall Astra MK3 1.4i 8v mpi (broken for parts)

Post by jackinthegreen »

I was about to say my old Focus RS MK2 with the inline-5 turbocharged Volvo engine used to spit flames on overrun. It's normally turbocharged petrol cars that pop and bang. It used to be fuelling-related when it happened "back in the day", probably to do with coming on and off boost, but now the engines are so refined and computer-controlled that it has to be artificially reintroduced via the ECU mapping to make the cars sound "sporty". When I had my RS mapped, it actually lost most of its popping and banging, because I had the map specifically just for power (and any smoothness or fuel economy improvements as a side-benefit). The tuners basically just made it run as well as it possibly could with the modifications i had, and didn't bother with the fireworks and sound-effects. The results were only very occasional pops and bangs when it wasn't fully warmed-up. I wasn't disappointed though... I'd effectively traded a few exhaust flames for an extra 70-odd horsepower and 100-odd NM out of the same hardware!

Agree with other posters, a Capri engine (Pinto, Kent, Essex, Cologne, I don't care) sounds much nicer with either a stock exhaust or an old-style big bore on it. Or a lazy big burbly V8, particularly if the cam profile is so absurd it idles choppy.

I must admit I no longer get smiles from pensioners since I fitted a stainless exhaust to my Capri. The women in particular give me some quite disapproving looks!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

jackinthegreen wrote:I must admit I no longer get smiles from pensioners since I fitted a stainless exhaust to my Capri. The women in particular give me some quite disapproving looks!
:lol: I've just had a stainless manifold fitted and the rest of the exhaust will be fitted soon so I look forward to these looks! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

I will always remember when the mk2 focus rs was not long out, I was at a show and a guy every so often would fire his green one up, he would get it up to the limiter it would go whaaaarrrmmmm bang bang bang bang bang, it soon got tiring to listen to as he was bouncing it off the limiter constantly doing it, obviously it was all fun to him until I heard whaaaaarrrmmmm bang bang, then the sound of a dying engine and then silence for the rest of the day, I presume the probably quite expensive reality set in
andyd

Post by andyd »

fordperv wrote:I will always remember when the mk2 focus rs was not long out, I was at a show and a guy every so often would fire his green one up, he would get it up to the limiter it would go whaaaarrrmmmm bang bang bang bang bang, it soon got tiring to listen to as he was bouncing it off the limiter constantly doing it, obviously it was all fun to him until I heard whaaaaarrrmmmm bang bang, then the sound of a dying engine and then silence for the rest of the day, I presume the probably quite expensive reality set in
Some people have to learn the hard way......Pity the cars have to suffer the mentality :!:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Like speeding really you find it’s the quite ones that speed also I was reading in one of my dads newspapers this week , Gunners R US that your find is a middle age man who attends football match’s and has a clean engine bay that has this passion for speeding and flames coming from there cars ? Lucky we don’t have that type on the forum .....

:lmao: Or do we ? :whistle:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Gotta admit I'm tempted to sell my Capri for a mk2 focus st but I'd never be able to afford the fuel costs, I'm struggling with my 2.0 Capri as is, especially now petrol is over £1.30 a litre! Seriously why are these fuel prices just keep going up and nothings being done about it? Where are the strikes and protests like before? Seems people are perfectly happy getting ripped off all the while the roads are in the worst state possible.
Hate this bloody government.
#rantover
andyd

Post by andyd »

Arya2.0S wrote:Gotta admit I'm tempted to sell my Capri for a mk2 focus st but I'd never be able to afford the fuel costs
I would have another one tomorrow. Great cars and if driven sensibly not that bad on fuel....According to the fuel computer, I got 40mpg on a 50 mile run keeping it under 60mph :lol: on the A303. It was remapped to 260bhp, and good torque which helped with lack of gear changes. My Sierra does about 25mpg on the same run and speed!!

A lot of car for the money, easier to get parts but with almost a 7 litre oil capacity it makes them a little pricey to maintain when required, and if you drive them hard obviously they will drink petrol :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Gotta admit I'm tempted to sell my Capri for a mk2 focus st but I'd never be able to afford the fuel costs
I would have another one tomorrow. Great cars and if driven sensibly not that bad on fuel....According to the fuel computer, I got 40mpg on a 50 mile run keeping it under 60mph :lol: on the A303. It was remapped to 260bhp, and good torque which helped with lack of gear changes. My Sierra does about 25mpg on the same run and speed!!

A lot of car for the money, easier to get parts but with almost a 7 litre oil capacity it makes them a little pricey to maintain when required, and if you drive them hard obviously they will drink petrol :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Hmmm don't tempt me even more! Lol. I was looking at non ST focuses, something still sporty but no more than 2.0, maybe an st look alike. Never been so tempted by a front wheel drive car before.
I'll stick with the old girl for now, better the devil you know and all that, but it's definitely something I'll keep in the back of my mind.