Weather Strip Replacemet

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
4TR3X
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Project)

Weather Strip Replacemet

Post by 4TR3X »

Hi,

I've finally got a Capri after talking about it for the last 17 years and wanting one since I was 6, so I want to get it all repaired and uprated where required.
My first job (before I start the daunting task of welding, which I haven't done any since I was 21, 12 years ago) is to replace the seriously worn weather strips on the driver and passengers windows.
I know once I've got the door cards off it should be obvious what to do (apparently a few bent metal clips keeping them in place), but my issue is getting the door cards off. I haven't really tried yet but I've looked and can see how the handle comes off (2 screws to remove then twist) and the window winder (pop the cap out the centre and unscrew), but as for the rest (door release catch, locking button) I am not too sure.
One post said that the door release handle pushes towards the front of the car.
When the bits that can come off are off does the door card just release?

Thanks in advance.

Its worth me saying that I am going to be making notes and taking photos of everything I do like this, when I know how it comes apart and goes back together (for when it needs doing again) and sharing it for all as a reference.
4TR3X

Re: Weather Strip Replacemet

Post by 4TR3X »

I forgot to say (if it matters) its a 1987 Mk3 Laser.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum! :welcome: And congratulations on finally making the best decision of your life and purchasing the car of your dreams! :D
You'll find that this forum is an amazing source of help and knowledge.
4TR3X wrote:One post said that the door release handle pushes towards the front of the car.
Yes, the door release handle surround/escutcheon is held on by four L-shaped tabs. To remove, slide it forward. The handle itself will stay in-situ when the door card is removed. I haven't removed the door card on a Capri, but I'll wager that once all the bits and bobs are removed, the cards themselves will be held on by trim clips that will need to be prised out of their holes in the doors. If you haven't got the correct tool, you'll be able to use a flat blade filling knife, or something similar. Be careful not to damage the old and fragile card though.
4TR3X wrote: Its worth me saying that I am going to be making notes and taking photos of everything I do like this, when I know how it comes apart and goes back together (for when it needs doing again) and sharing it for all as a reference.
That would be great and very helpful for the future reference of other forum users. I always intend to do the do the same myself when I do jobs on the car, however, I always get so engrossed in the job I always forget to take photos! :doh:

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Also, I think that if the locking button is pushed down, the cards will lift up over them.

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Yep Andrew is correct. There are a series of push fit clips all around the edge of the door card so it just needs to be prised off.
On the driver's side you may want to remove the bezel around the door mirror adjustor as well. It unscrews. The door lock pin will stay in situ and the door card will lift over it once all the clips are free. The speaker cable can be disconnected once the card is out. There is a push fit connector behind the door card.
Well done on the purchase and good luck with the work!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
4TR3X

Post by 4TR3X »

Thanks for all this and the really quick replies. Hopefully I will be free to give it a go this week. But I will keep you updated.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I didn't take the door card off when I replaced the (outer) weather strips. Just carefully prised off the outer trim then the old weatherstrip pulled out of its clips. New one just pushed back in and cut to length. It was a bit fiddly getting it back in the clips but it all went in OK in the end.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

As Paul said, weather strip just pulls out of door trim clips. If you remove trim, be very careful with it as it’s soft aluminium. Use something to spread the load & gently prise it off. I just used some plastic spreaders;
Imagecreate image url online
4TR3X

Post by 4TR3X »

Thanks I think I will give it a try first before removing the door cards, but the weather strips are extremely perished and a large piece broke off when I tried to remove them earlier.
Hopefully I will get chance to look this week but if not i'm free from the end of the month to properly start the restoration.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Paul G wrote:I didn't take the door card off when I replaced the (outer) weather strips. Just carefully prised off the outer trim then the old weatherstrip pulled out of its clips. New one just pushed back in and cut to length. It was a bit fiddly getting it back in the clips but it all went in OK in the end.

Same here ^ :cool:
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

If you're just replacing the outer weatherstrips you don't need to remove anything, simply wind down the window and pop the old weatherstrip out of the clips, if you look, the weatherstrip sits on top of the outer trim strip on top of the door body.
jackinthegreen
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (fair-weather daily driver)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (rain/ice/salt daily driver)

Previous moderns:
Ford Focus RS MK2 (traded in)
Jaguar Sovereign (traded in)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto (traded in)
Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6i 8v spi (exported to Poland)
Vauxhall Astra MK3 1.4i 8v mpi (broken for parts)

Post by jackinthegreen »

Welcome to the forum and hi everyone sorry I haven't posted much in years but my life is completely upside-down and about the only thing remaining from when I first joined is my trusty Capri!!

I just wanted to reiterate what others have said about the weather strips. It was the first thing that I did on my car when I got it several years ago, and mine were in just as bad a state as you describe. If it's just the outer strips, wind down the window and pull the old ones out with your bare hands, few or no tools required (from memory). East Kent trims and the Capri Club International do new ones. I can't remember where I got mine, but they don't fit that well against the window, so can allow more water than they should into the door (it's OK as long as your drainage holes are clear and the plastic membrane behind the door card is intact - it'd be a bit of a worry if the car were outside all the time though). I'd be willing to bet Martin at Capri Gear keeps a stock of good weather strips that fit properly.

If you take the door card off anyway for whatever reason, do be extra careful to check (and replace, if necessary) the plastic membrane behind the door card. I've heard of people making these out of plastic sheeting or coal-sacks. If you have damp in your floor carpet after a good bit of rain, especially if you get a little bit of water pooling in the back corner of your door seal, I'd say that thin bit of flimsy plastic is the number one culprit.
4TR3X

Post by 4TR3X »

Hi, I managed to remove the old weather strips and put the new ones in without removing the door card just by winding it down and grabbing the metal part of the strip with pliers then using a trim removal tool to open the clips. The strip broke off in many places but once I gripped the metal of the strip (reckon they were original and never changed) they came out with some good force. New ones slipped in and trimmed where needed.

I've got pictures and will do a step by step of how to replace.

I must say that I tried to get the door cards off first (drivers side) but couldn't get the door release latch off. I pushed it forward but barely moved, the more I tried the more it moved. I will try again when I get chance and all write it up. I took some photos of the inside of the door with weather strips removed so can see what should happen.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

4TR3X wrote: I must say that I tried to get the door cards off first (drivers side) but couldn't get the door release latch off. I pushed it forward but barely moved, the more I tried the more it moved. I will try again when I get chance and all write it up. I took some photos of the inside of the door with weather strips removed so can see what should happen.
If you mean the little black surround around the door pull then yes this can be a minor nightmare! There are little clips on the front of them to make it harder to get off so I usually do that bit last when I can manipulate the door card a bit to help out
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Are the door weather strips intended to stop where they reach the window frame or should they run full length ? There seem to be 2 schools of thought
jackinthegreen
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (fair-weather daily driver)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (rain/ice/salt daily driver)

Previous moderns:
Ford Focus RS MK2 (traded in)
Jaguar Sovereign (traded in)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto (traded in)
Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6i 8v spi (exported to Poland)
Vauxhall Astra MK3 1.4i 8v mpi (broken for parts)

Post by jackinthegreen »

My original ones stopped at the window frame, leaving a bit of a gap for rain to get through. I cut my replacement ones to run the length of the area they are supposed to protect (i.e. the length of the door), and cut the odd slit in them to make them mold more closely to the window frame etc. I figured I may as well stop as much water running down into the door as I can - although they were never able to seal that well from new. The door's designed to cope with a little water getting in - that's why it has a plastic membrane behind the door card to keep the interior dry, and drain holes at the bottom. So in answer to your question, it's up to you. Don't sweat about it. Me personally, I'd rather minimise the amount of water getting in there.