Bonnet Stay Grommet

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Bonnet Stay Grommet

Post by pbar »

The round rubber/plastic bonnet stay grommet/bush thingy on my laser has decided to disentegrate. Anyone advise on where to get a new one please? I can find them all over the internet but defintely have better success with parts from recommendations on here. Nice and cheap at places like Burton and Tickover (£1.70) but when the minimum order value has been added and the whooping £4 ish for postage it's not a bargain anymore! Thanks :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
There are plenty on Ebay for under a fiver all in. In fact, there are so many new ones listed I rather suspect that are still available to buy from a main dealer. Hopefully, that will be even cheaper as you'll be saving on the dreaded postage cost.

Andrew
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

What a coincidence....Had to replace mine last week, got it from this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gen-Ford-Bon ... 3288958366
Didn't need the clip but will come in useful at some point I expect.

I put the grommet in boiling water for a minute which helped it push in alot easier :)

:goodluck:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the replies :) Good tip with the boiling water trick. Does anyone know if the MK2 and MK3 grommets are the same? Retroford seems the best price if so, just £2.85 with postage.

https://www.retrofordinternational.com/ ... 2055-p.asp
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Thanks for the replies :) Good tip with the boiling water trick. Does anyone know if the MK2 and MK3 grommets are the same? Retroford seems the best price if so, just £2.85 with postage.

https://www.retrofordinternational.com/ ... 2055-p.asp
It looks the same as mine, so doubt there is too much difference if any and fits most Fords of that era.....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Great find. That's a brilliant price, and credit to Retroford for their reasonable postage cost too.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well I opted to go for the same one which Andy linked to, as I know it would be ok and thought the extra couple of pounds to have a spare clip also was worth it. Thanks again for the replies :)
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Just noticed this. I have the grommet and the two different clips in stock.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote:Well I opted to go for the same one which Andy linked to, as I know it would be ok and thought the extra couple of pounds to have a spare clip also was worth it. Thanks again for the replies :)
I got identical ones to Andys link on ebay couple of years back Paul. Very good quality and does the job grand. I open and close my bonnet quite a bit :lol:

Seen loads of them at Santa Pod in the jumble recently. I would have got you some if I knew you needed them Paul. :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote:Just noticed this. I have the grommet and the two different clips in stock.
I did have a look on your website Martin but didn't see them listed. However, with them being so easily available all over the place, I didn't think it necessary to bother you with messages/e-mails, etc. Thanks for the response though as always.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:

Seen loads of them at Santa Pod in the jumble recently. I would have got you some if I knew you needed them Paul. :)
Thank you Nick :) Appreciate that. Should have one finding it's way to me soon.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have a good selection of new clips, fittings etc as I use them on the cars that I build. The website doesn't have everything on it as I just don't have the time to keep adding every small item that I have so I would prefer contact either by phone or E Mail.
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:What a coincidence....Had to replace mine last week, got it from this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gen-Ford-Bon ... 3288958366
Just realised I never concluded this. Well, the part arrived quickly, thanks again for the link Andy. Fitted perfectly and good service from that ebay seller. Gave the prop a quick rub down and spray whilst it was off too.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:What a coincidence....Had to replace mine last week, got it from this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gen-Ford-Bon ... 3288958366
Just realised I never concluded this. Well, the part arrived quickly, thanks again for the link Andy. Fitted perfectly and good service from that ebay seller. Gave the prop a quick rub down and spray whilst it was off too.
:cheers: :D