capri 1.6GL bareshell rebuild

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL (restoration project)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (2000-2004)
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Re: capri 1.6GL bareshell rebuild

Post by ian_s »

P100 would be a great shout if you can get one. The days of cheap classics seem to be over. Unless cheap means 3-4k
Image One day she will be back in that field!!
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Ok so finally managed to dig the old girl out from her tucked away hiding space tonight.
She is now out in the open and ready to be worked on. I removed the bonnet tonight and have taken off the covering from the underneath. It was held in by an array of different types of screws bolts raw plugs etc... I shall be replacing those at some point. The bonnet isn't in to bad condition. I shall attach pictures as I start to work on it. I did however put the new cover on ready so it helps preserve anything I do.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Ok so anyone watching this thread I have a question. I am trying to keep this car original as possible but I have been looking at possible upgrades that may just be beneficial or available at the time. I am considering
1. An electronic ignition kit
2. Twin Webbers.

I don't want to massively mod it but thought they might just pep it up a bit. But I am interested to know what you guys think. Any advice would be appreciated :D
Thanks in advance
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Both of those are sound ideas but I would just fit a twin choke 32/36 weber and inlet manifold as fitted to 2 litre models. If fitted with a 2 litre camshaft and a four branch exhaust manifold this combination should put it up to 85 -90 bhp which isn't far behind a 2 litre. It may need a rolling road tune just to get the carb set up accurately.

Also whilst the head is off doing the cam it's a good chance to renew the valve stem oil seals which harden and cause smoking on start up.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Paul G wrote:Both of those are sound ideas but I would just fit a twin choke 32/36 weber and inlet manifold as fitted to 2 litre models. If fitted with a 2 litre camshaft and a four branch exhaust manifold this combination should put it up to 85 -90 bhp which isn't far behind a 2 litre. It may need a rolling road tune just to get the carb set up accurately.

Also whilst the head is off doing the cam it's a good chance to renew the valve stem oil seals which harden and cause smoking on start up.
Thanks that sounds interesting. Is there anything to consider when changing the cam shaft or is it a straight forward swap?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:Both of those are sound ideas but I would just fit a twin choke 32/36 weber and inlet manifold as fitted to 2 litre models. If fitted with a 2 litre camshaft and a four branch exhaust manifold this combination should put it up to 85 -90 bhp which isn't far behind a 2 litre. It may need a rolling road tune just to get the carb set up accurately.

Have to agree with Paul, this is exactly what I've done and Paul helped me with, totally worth it!

Also congrats Paul on your 1000th post!

:cheers: :beer:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

D366Y wrote:

Have to agree with Paul, this is exactly what I've done and Paul helped me with, totally worth it!

Also congrats Paul on your 1000th post!

:cheers: :beer:
About time I coughed up and became a Donator I suppose.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

ian_s wrote:

Thanks that sounds interesting. Is there anything to consider when changing the cam shaft or is it a straight forward swap?
It is a straight swap.

By the way there is a good chap in Coventry for second hand Capri parts. He's called Paul and goes by the name of V8Mk3Capri on ebay. He lives in a street by the Ford Garage, tel no 07766 893510.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Paul G wrote:
ian_s wrote:

It is a straight swap.

By the way there is a good chap in Coventry for second hand Capri parts. He's called Paul and goes by the name of V8Mk3Capri on ebay. He lives in a street by the Ford Garage, tel no 07766 893510.
I think I got some bits off him before many years ago. I lost his details but always look down the road when I pass to see if I see a capri. Ok so I definitely think that this is the way forward. Thanks very much and yes congrats Paul on that 1000th post :applaud:
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Back in grey. Sanded down the bumper again after the reaction to the previous primer. It's taken well so hopefully we will be good this time
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

And these look well past their best. I think this could be a lost cause but I have nothing to lose by trying to repair them.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

They don't look too bad, just a little faded. If you spray with either normal black paint or Halfords flexible vinyl paint and apply in thin coats it should keep the texture nicely as well, has worked for me on two or three sets

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

D366Y wrote:They don't look too bad, just a little faded. If you spray with either normal black paint or Halfords flexible vinyl paint and apply in thin coats it should keep the texture nicely as well, has worked for me on two or three sets

Cheers
Danny
Yeah I think the photo doesn't do it justice to how bad they were. They had a very deep crazing and had been sanded Smooth at some point. There were some pretty nasty gashes too where it had been bumped and a dent in the front. Having said that I have been busy at work trying to sort one to see if it could be done successfully.
Took a lot of elbow Grease to get to this stage but was starting to get there
Looking better but still some low spots so sanded back again. I also forgot to take a picture of the dent on the front which I heated up on the hob (nicked the idea from elsewhere on this forum) and pressed out. Worked a treat.
Really pleased with the outcome. Now it's all smooth I have ordered some textured paint to try and reintroduce the textured finish. I am a fan of the old halfords vinyl paint however I really want to get it back to a very good standard and needed to texturise it again.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

And finally a couple of pictures of the bumper (I like pic heavy threads) I am really pleased with the hole look of the back end now
Will mount the brackets etc once I'm happy all the paint is fully hardened.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Looks like you've done a great job so far with it! Let us know how you get on with the textured paint, I'm curious to see how well it works :)
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

D366Y wrote:Looks like you've done a great job so far with it! Let us know how you get on with the textured paint, I'm curious to see how well it works :)
Thanks I will. I am curious myself how well it will work. Fingers crossed
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Ok ok i Couldn't resist a little fitting work tonight. It just Feels like a little achievement :cheers: to have completed a section of the car having had the car so long and for so long not been able to just crack on. (Note the older bolts and washers used here will be replaced when the new ones arrive. I may revisit the two bumper ends if the textured paint is good enough)
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Right here we go. The textured paint for my bumper ends arrived yesterday. It is pro tex
It has two nozzles one for fine texture and one for a rougher texture. I used the red one which is the finer texture. So starting with a Smooth surface this was the effect
First coat
Second coat
Third and final coat
I have tried to get the best pictures I can. I was really impressed with the overall effect and think I looks as good as new now. Hope this helps anyone else considering this repair.
This is side by side with the opposite side as it used to be.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Looks like an excellent job all round Ian. Makes a mockery of paying ££££ for new bumpers and caps.

Think I'll invest in some of that paint for mine.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Thanks Paul. I must admit I thought they were beyond saving however I am really pleased with the result. And for £10 it has saved me a fortune!