my capri 280

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Essexsoulboy
Car(s): Capri 280

my capri 280

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Hi guys,I've been lurking on the forum for ages now,thought I'd better join introduce myself and share a few bits of info on my Capri 280.

I actually brought the car way back in 1993,still can't quite believe I've actually owned her for over 25 years now.I've done very little mileage in the car since,it's actually been in storage since 2007 and I finally got the car out of the garage for a service last week(hence the loader).

As you can see the car is in an unmarked condition,no chips or scratches whatsoever.When I was originally looking for a 280 I really wanted one to keep so it had to be in pristine condition.I could not find one so I decided to have the whole car painted,engine out etc and I have to say the paint job that was done was superb.It seems the paint on an original 280 is very thin in places,in fact under the bonnet there's no laquer or shine at all.
I also brought five brand new wheels(they were actually the last five my local ford dealer had),and also brand new Pirelli tyres.The usual wear on the driver's seat was also fixed-I found some spare material and a new section was put into the seat by a car trimmer in Milton Keynes I found(the guy actually worked for Tickford at some point so he knew his stuff).

As I said,the car has been stored for a while but I really need to get her out and drive the car again,it certainly turned some heads on the back of the low loader.It didn't do the car much good being stored in a garage.Although it was covered up there has been a bit of corrosion underneath and it does need a bit of work to get the car back on the road.The Janspeed exhaust has rotted,the original tyres have perished(it's a shame as they are the original Pirelli's).Also the limted slip has leaked oil everywhere and there's a few other various leaks.

I've managed to scource most of the parts from various places but there's a couple of bits I'm struggling with.....

Rear brake back plates.....I've tried everywhere for these,no-one seems to have them.Is it just a case of re-furbishing the old ones?

Tyres...Obviously the original Pirellis are long gone and are no longer manufactured,what have other members done? Also need to find someone that can put tyres on without damaging the wheels.

Exhaust....Ive actually brought two Janspeed exhausts for the car since Ive owned it,they seem to rot when the car is laid up.I really like the Janspeed on a 280,not too loud or over the top like some I've heard.Do they still make them? Having real trouble finding one,Burton(where I brought the others) have discontinued them even the Janspeed website is of no help.Ive actually found a place on Ebay that sell them,they are now made in stainless steel and are quite expensive.Has anyone brought one of these recently?? Are they genuine Janspeed exhausts??

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: my capri 280

Post by Jasonmarie »

She looks in good condition in the picture so how have you not driven the Capri and owning her since 1993 . With the stainless exhaust I would recommend having one made up as it will do the car another 30 years . There is a company one of the members used in Essex but would have to do a search to remember the name . If you need any work doing on the car I would recommend Tickover in Dartford as it’s close to you and they do a grand job ( mine and nicks are booked in this week for some work )

But keep us posted and would love to see some pictures .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

:welcome: Nice car :D

Re Janspeed, these are probably the ones you saw.....
System Only https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Janspeed-Cap ... xy2LJRB67F
Inc Manifolds https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Janspeed-Cap ... Swo8hTosyF

I have bought from this seller and they are genuine, :agree: not cheap but you shouldn't need to replace them again.

Tyres; Any tyre fitter can put tyres on without damaging the wheels, you will have to find some 195/50/15 tyres to go on them, which a local company should be able to supply or get some online (Capri Club have some http://capriclub.co.uk/Road-Wheels-And-Tyres/tyre-15) and just pay for fitting.

Martin (Capri Gear) on here is great for spares too.

:goodluck:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Welcome to the forum, I think you'll be most welcome on here. We all are devoted Capri lovers and can be as mad as a box of frogs as well!

Got to say that it's very good to see a Capri that has been in the same ownership for so long and it still looks to be in very good condition. I bet you can't wait to get it sorted and back on the road.

Re your backplates why not try Martin at Caprigear, he may have a pair or if your own are not rotted out why not get them grit blasted and either powder coated or painted in satin black two pack paint.

Whatever you do don't tell the Mrs what it's worth these days or there may be demands for a new kitchen or bathroom!!!

Look forward to seeing updates on how you're getting on.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
It's good to be able to welcome new members to the forum, especially those with many years of ownership behind them.
From the photo, your 280 looks to be in fabulous condition, luckily the years of storage don't appear to have had a detrimental effect on the bodywork.

To help prevent oil leaks from the axle cover, upgraded gaskets are available.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UPRATED-FORD ... XQAx9RWvv-
I'm sure I don't need to remind you to use the correct special LSD oil when refilling, not regular diff. oil.

Good luck with the few little jobs that are needed to return your gorgeous 280 to the road.

Andrew.
Essexsoulboy

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.Still working away on my 280,it's suprising how many things need fixing.Nothing really bad,I haven't really spent anything on the car for at least twenty years so I guess I haven't done bad!! I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.The exhaust has rotted right through so I've treated myself to a stainless steel one from Janspeed,not cheap but well worth it.Back axle has been stripped,new diff cover put on and painted,also took the fuel tank off,cleaned it and that was painted as well.Had to buy new leaf springs and also new brake drums.

Whilst all the bits were off the underside was wire brushed(that was hard work!!) and then it was undersealed.All the brackets were removed and painted in satin black so it looks really nice now.Seems I also have a leak from the gearbox so that needs looking at as well.

Managed to find a nice tyre fitter who fitted some new Pirelli's without damaging the wheels,really nice chap who was very interested to hear about my car.It's a shame about the old Pirelli P7 tyres,I've kept them and it seems a shame just to bin them.They've hardly been used(still have loads of tread) but they're 26 years old now and I was advised to change them.Hopefully all should be fixed by the weekend,can't wait to take her out for a spin!!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Essexsoulboy wrote:Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.Still working away on my 280,it's suprising how many things need fixing.Nothing really bad,I haven't really spent anything on the car for at least twenty years so I guess I haven't done bad!! I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.The exhaust has rotted right through so I've treated myself to a stainless steel one from Janspeed,not cheap but well worth it.Back axle has been stripped,new diff cover put on and painted,also took the fuel tank off,cleaned it and that was painted as well.Had to buy new leaf springs and also new brake drums.

Whilst all the bits were off the underside was wire brushed(that was hard work!!) and then it was undersealed.All the brackets were removed and painted in satin black so it looks really nice now.Seems I also have a leak from the gearbox so that needs looking at as well.

Managed to find a nice tyre fitter who fitted some new Pirelli's without damaging the wheels,really nice chap who was very interested to hear about my car.It's a shame about the old Pirelli P7 tyres,I've kept them and it seems a shame just to bin them.They've hardly been used(still have loads of tread) but they're 26 years old now and I was advised to change them.Hopefully all should be fixed by the weekend,can't wait to take her out for a spin!!
Not worth risking old tyres, keep them or someone with a concourse car might want them...?

A good time to underseal and paint items too :)

Janspeed will sound great, best system for the V6 imo, closely followed by Sportex.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Definitely not worth the risk on old tyres - original and cool they may be, but safe almost certainly not haha

They reckon you should change tyres every 7-10 years even if you don't use all the tread
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Essexsoulboy

Post by Essexsoulboy »

So, I finally managed to get my Capri out and back on the road. What I thought was going to be a quick oil change, service etc turned into
a complete strip down and overhaul.I'm quite lucky in that my brother has his own workshop so he was able to work on in when he had time.
He also happens to be a master technician at Mercedes Benz so I knew the car was in good hands. Once it was up in the air we could see that leaving the car in a garage for 11 years hadn't done the mechanics much good, you'd be surprised how things still deteriate even though it's
in a garage covered up.There was nothing really bad though, the exhaust had rotted through and various things looked a bit sad.

In the end we decided to remove everything mechanical....front and back axles,gearbox,subframe and even the engine. Everything was then cleaned,polished or sent for shot blasting and re finished.The manifolds were sent for plasma coating as well,they came up rather well.

Spent a small fortune on it to getting up to this standard.I brought a new Janspeed (god they're not cheap!),new coil springs,discs and a whole host of other bits.It's actually taken about four month's work but it looks great.

Here's a few pics...I took it out for an MOT yesterday, it felt great to drive. Certainly turned a few heads especially when the guys at the MOT station looked underneath.

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

:applaud: super what a great job and loved the sticker underneath still , yes the mot guy must have done a double take as it looks better the. New .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: