Timing belt

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Rosco59
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s Restoration project

Timing belt

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi the spline part of the timing belt tensioner has been rounded off. Any ideas how to get it off. Thanks
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Timing belt

Post by Paul G »

Molegrip.
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi Tried molegrips still wouldn’t move. Thanks
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Make sure you've got good quality 8 or 9" grips at a miniumum - I use Irwin vice-grips as i've found the crappy Draper ones just twist and don't always grip very well.

Another trick to try is to get a large engineers hammer and give the face of the bolt (where the splines are) a couple of good hard hits. Make sure you are accurate in doing this and that the hammer face is exactly square when hitting the splined bolt. This should send a shock down the bolt and free whatever is causing it to stick.

Failing this you can try heating the bolt where the thread goes into the head with a blow torch but try and keep the heat local to the bolt or finally cut the head off the bolt with a grinder, remove the spring and timing belt, then use a stud extractor to undo it.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

If all else fails mig weld an old bolt or other chunky bit of metal to it at a convenient angle so you would be able to put some force on it to undo.
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Thanks for the reply’s I ended up hitting a 19mm socket on and it came no problem.