Automatic Capri slipping out of gear??

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Automatic Capri slipping out of gear??

Post by D366Y »

Hey guys, odd one but I took the GL around for clock today, and when the car was in drive but I took my foot off the gas for a moment then went back on it again the car revved up without being in gear, before hearing a loud clunk and feeling the car jump again, clunking into gear...

Seems like a strange thing to do and it's the first time it's ever done it... any ideas please?

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
thanasis
Car(s): Ford Capri MKIII 1.6 GL Auto

Re: Automatic Capri slipping out of gear??

Post by thanasis »

Are you sure it wasn't in gear while still revving up? Are we talking half a second delay or a couple of seconds? It was trying to upshift, right?

If it was low ATF in the transmission you would feel some lag while it's trying to get to the next gear but it's delaying. It's maybe this but i wouldn't call it no-gear feel. Check your ATF level, car running hot, go through all the positions in the lever 2-3 times, then check how high is the mark. Maybe it's better to top up even if it looks ok. The sound is propably the propshaft, sometimes it's normal, but take a look at it as well.

During the ~50000kms i have done with my auto (c3), i've never had the feeling of not been in gear. Only once with low ATF level, that feeling of delay.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

thanasis wrote:Are you sure it wasn't in gear while still revving up? Are we talking half a second delay or a couple of seconds? It was trying to upshift, right?

If it was low ATF in the transmission you would feel some lag while it's trying to get to the next gear but it's delaying. It's maybe this but i wouldn't call it no-gear feel. Check your ATF level, car running hot, go through all the positions in the lever 2-3 times, then check how high is the mark. Maybe it's better to top up even if it looks ok. The sound is propably the propshaft, sometimes it's normal, but take a look at it as well.

During the ~50000kms i have done with my auto (c3), i've never had the feeling of not been in gear. Only once with low ATF level, that feeling of delay.
:agree: As Thanasis says with a warm engine/box get it on level ground, apply handbrake then go through all gear positions holding it in each position for a few seconds then when you've done this put it in Park then get out and check the level on the dipstick. You top it up through the dipstick.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

OK guys I will go and check the level again tomorrow on the dipstick.

I just went out again quickly and it was definitely a noticeable few seconds compared to when I've driven it previously and I can barely notice the gear change because the time is so short. Thinking about it, itseems like its just not up shifting at the right point, it's over revving and then suddenly jumps up

I stopped a on the road, tried engaging '1', nothing happened when I revved, same when I put the gearbox in '2', the car revved up a lot and took a few seconds before anything happened, and then just as I put the car back into drive it eventually started to move, but was otherwise sat revving even though it should be in gear and totally felt like it wasn't... even stranger, I let it cool down then went again, while I was slowing down with the car still in drive, it stalled itself? Twice!

I also pulled up stationary on flat ground with the car in drive and it just sat there not pulling forward for at least three seconds?

I checked the gearbox dipstick yesterday which was sitting at about an inch about the botch on the dipstick?
Last edited by D366Y on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Touchwood all my automatics have been ok but I have seen and you I guess they say changing the filter & fluid can fix so many problems . Also I have heard if it smells burnt then it need changing .
Hope you get it sorted mate .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Mine used to this kinda thing occasionally - it was always due to low fluid levels. Have fun reading the level, and topping it up. Always used to burn my hand on the exhaust manifold, and spill fluid everywhere trying to get it in that stupid little dipstick hole. :swear:
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

-JC- wrote:Mine used to this kinda thing occasionally - it was always due to low fluid levels. Have fun reading the level, and topping it up. Always used to burn my hand on the exhaust manifold, and spill fluid everywhere trying to get it in that stupid little dipstick hole. :swear:
:lol: haha thanks I look forward to it!! Is there a maximum amount of fluid I should be topping it up to? Also what fluid do people recommend? Is there a certain type I should be using or is it all the same?

Thanks
thanasis
Car(s): Ford Capri MKIII 1.6 GL Auto

Post by thanasis »

D366Y wrote: :lol: haha thanks I look forward to it!! Is there a maximum amount of fluid I should be topping it up to? Also what fluid do people recommend? Is there a certain type I should be using or is it all the same?

Thanks
The workshop manual says Ford spec SQM-2C9007-A <1981 and SQM-2C9010-A for models > 1981 but any modern automatic transmission fluid will do just fine. The mark on the stick of the 3gear box can be very deceiving. Even if the fluid it's visible, hot or cold, I suggest topping it up a little, maybe 200ml at first and look for results. I had the same problem after a gearbox seal replacement and it looked like it had the right amount of ATF but it was lagging anyway.

The maximum amount of fluid for the C3 with the 9 1/4" converter in the workshop manual is 6.5litres. So, according to this 250-500ml more won't hurt. They definitely won't hurt more than an injured gearbox after running low on ATF... A filter change will be nice, get a kit of seals and gaskets too if you are going to give it a service.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks Thanasis and Paul, topped up the fluid and back to working a treat! :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nice to here it was a easy fix . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: