In line fuel filter on pump suction

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Macalac
Car(s): Ford Capri MkII 3 Litre Ghia. - work in progress

In line fuel filter on pump suction

Post by Macalac »

I had a problem with my mark 2 three litre ghia the other week where it ran for around five seconds then cut out (on the day I was moving house frustratingly-all tools packed away)

The nice man from green flag diagnosed the fuel pump as being weak, and arranged for the car to be transported to new house as only ten miles away

I have fitted a new fuel pump, and replaced the in line filter on the suction side. Still had the same problem. I have since gone round and tightened all the connections and she now runs again.

Looking at the filter, which is translucent, it appears to be mainly full of air with very little fuel in, although I can see a flow of fuel in the bottom pipe. Is this normal? I would have expected the filter to be full of fuel

Any advice gratefully received

Macalac
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: In line fuel filter on pump suction

Post by Paul G »

Firstly, the fuel filter should be between the pump and the carb rather than on the inlet side.

You say "you can see fuel in the pipe up to the filter". If you are running the old type see - through hose with the cross braiding inside it then change it for proper ethanol and unleaded proof hose as the old type is a leak waiting to happen. Preferably change it from the metal hose on the rear of the crossmember right up to the pump and do away with the pre-pump filter.

In-line fuel filters never appear full of fuel whether the engine is running or not.
Macalac
Car(s): Ford Capri MkII 3 Litre Ghia. - work in progress

Post by Macalac »

Paul,

Many thanks for your response. The filter was already fitted when I got the car, and I have just fitted a new one which I will reposition as you advise.

I have already replaced all of the flexible rubber hose with the ethanol proof hose. What I meant by seeing fuel comin in the bottom pipe was that I could see the fuel coming in to the filter housing.

Took her for a spin this evening and it appears I have not fixed the problem as cut out on me and was difficult to re-start. I think I will check the cars next as I seem to have a spark when I check the ignition.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Could be the gauze filter on the end of the sender unit pick up pipe blocking up if the tank is old and crusty. Also check the gauze filter by the inlet into the carb.