VSS Adaptor for Type 9 box

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
cabaret
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0i
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI

VSS Adaptor for Type 9 box

Post by cabaret »

Read many posts about them but never been able to find an adaptor, anyone know where i can buy one?
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the chosen one The mighty hand of vengeance sent down to strike the unroadworthy! Im hotter than a rollin dice. Step right up, chum and watch the kid lay down the rubber road, ride to freedom!
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: VSS Adaptor for Type 9 box

Post by Beakster »

Why do you want one? I thought about getting one for my 24v. I think Ford wanted 60 quid for it though so I just did without and it was ok. I think you can get one off some sierras.
Thomas
Car(s): Ford Capri III (1981) 2.9i 24v Cosworth

Post by Thomas »

Hi all,

I used this topic instead of a new one because it's still open.

I don't know a exact solution for this problem. I have the Type 9 N 5-Speed gearbox, maybe from a Sierra XR4i, but I'm not sure. The VSS sensor, from a Sierra with MT75 gearbox, is connected to my PCM, but not to the gearbox. The engine runs fine, but I want to reduce the fuel consumption. When the engine is in thrust, fuel is injected because the PCM thinks my car is standing. If the VSS is connected, the PCM knows if engine accelerating or thrust.

1st solution: I've heard about a split speedometer cable from a Sierra. Between the cable you can put in the VSS. Who knows from which type of Sierra and which year it is?

2nd solution: also I heard, that you can fit on the right side in the gearbox the speedometer cable, and on the other side the VSS. But which VSS I have to use? And I need another speedometer pinion gear.

thanks for your help.

greetings Thomas

Following are 2 pictures from a german forum:

Thomas
Car(s): Ford Capri III (1981) 2.9i 24v Cosworth

Post by Thomas »

Hi all,

I finished my solution for the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) in my car.

My gearbox is a type 9 N from a Sierra XR4i (2,8 ltr. V6).

I found a speedo pinion gear, maybe from a Granada/Scorpio. The VSS is from a Sierra 2.0i DOHC with MT75 gearbox. I had to mill a small distance plate, 3mm thick, because without the plate the VSS would press on the speedo gear. Also I've drilled 2x M3 thread to hold the VSS at the gearbox.

Part No.: 888T-AA (22 teeth)

Part No.: 90BB9E731AA

greetings Thomas
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

The Mk3 Granadas had electronic VSS sensors on the type 9 box. I remember a few ago years wanting to fit a Sierra box to a Granada and i just swapped the tail housings, it was just as quick as trying to modify.