Humming noise (REAR)

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
capri28
Car(s): Rosso Red Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Daily driver)
Stratos Silver Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Summer driver)

Humming noise (REAR)

Post by capri28 »

Yesterday morning after starting my 2.8 I noticed a humming noise coming from the rear of the car,
I drove the 5 miles to work with no issues other than this humming, when I parked up at work left it on idle & the noise had stopped.

After work (1600hrs) started the car & no humming noise, drove home fine.

This morning same scenario humming noise & when parked up at work the noise had stropped.

I have noticed the car seems to have more throttle response & seems nipper as if she wants to go...

It had a new bosch fuel pump around 4ish years ago & its probably only done approx. 9000 miles in that length of time, so I can't see it being that but you never know!

Any help would be appreciated.
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Re: Humming noise (REAR)

Post by Capriscott »

Usually a humming noise is the wheel bearing on its way out. Can check by jacking up the car at the rear and see if there's movement by pressing or pulling the tyre walls. Facing the wheel have both hands on either side of the tyre and press or pull in opposite directions. Compare with the other side.

Never costs much to buy a new bearing and are quite easy to replace. Just remember to never over tighten otherwise you will lose the wheel. Test by spinning the wheel and it freely rotates without any resistance.
Rumble
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

The fuel pump is not entirely silent but presumably this is a noise that wasn't previously there. Check that the insulation around the pump hasn't perished and perhaps the pump touches the bracket some of the time as this is likely to amplify the sound it makes.
Rear bearing is possible as well but I would call that more of a whine than a hum if it was on the way out. It's pressed on to the axle shaft so not that straight forward to replace. Can be done at home but you might want to take it to a garage that has a press.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
capri28
Car(s): Rosso Red Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Daily driver)
Stratos Silver Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Summer driver)

Post by capri28 »

Peter-S wrote:The fuel pump is not entirely silent but presumably this is a noise that wasn't previously there. Check that the insulation around the pump hasn't perished and perhaps the pump touches the bracket some of the time as this is likely to amplify the sound it makes.
Rear bearing is possible as well but I would call that more of a whine than a hum if it was on the way out. It's pressed on to the axle shaft so not that straight forward to replace. Can be done at home but you might want to take it to a garage that has a press.
Yes its a noise that wasn't previously there...I will check the pump area this evening thank you.

The rear bearings were replaced less than 2 yeas ago.
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Post by Capriscott »

Well it shouldn't be the bearing then. The only other part at the rear that would make a humming noise is the fuel pump or maybe a speaker has blown but I wouldn't of thought it would make a hum noise. Only if your listening to white noise then maybe but I don't think that's anyone's cup of tea.

Hope you figure it out
Rumble