Damsel in distress saved by Capri - sort of

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Damsel in distress saved by Capri - sort of

Post by Peter-S »

I’d just sat down for dinner last night when there was a ring at the front door. A young lass (they all seem young to me these days!) was standing there. She apologised for troubling me but had broken down – right across my driveway – and asked if I knew anything about cars. Her Dad was on the way she said but I went and looked. Nearside wheel pointing straight ahead, offside pointing in at 45 degrees :shock:
A quick look underneath revealed a nut missing from the TRE on the steering rack and it was no longer connected to the steering arm. I went to find a jack and some shoes and when I returned her Dad and a mechanic friend had arrived but not exactly prepared. The mechanic jacked the car diagnosed the same problem and then asked if I had a wheel brace - of course. So wheel off TRE popped back in place but then it needed a new nut which the mechanic didn’t have. I figured it looked the same as a Capri TRE thread so found one of my spares took the nut from that and bingo :) Then I leant the mechanic an axle stand and a spanner and it was soon all back together.
The lass was sent off up the road to test all was well (neither her Dad nor the mechanic went with her despite her being a little concerned) and I chatted briefly to the mechanic who didn’t understand how the nut had come loose. He had done some work on the suspension earlier in the day and told me he had tightened the nut with a long bar. I speculated that perhaps he stripped the thread :?
But the girl was back without incident and they all went on their way so my Capri spares had saved a damsel in a Citroen 8-)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Damsel in distress saved by Capri - sort of

Post by pbar »

Nice story Peter. And you must have felt really pleased :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

She was lucky to be in the right place to breakdown . Well done peter . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Good on you, Sir Peter of Laser for being a knight in shining armour!

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Good on you Peter. Well done indeed !! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Yep of all the driveways she could have broken down she certainly picked the right one ! Just a bit worrying her mechanic had been working on it earlier that day :shock:
and even more worrying that her Dad and mechanic were happy to send her nervously up the road to test drive without at the very least one of them sitting beside her...

Anyhow you certainlly did come to her rescue Peter. Nice one !!!

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Cheers guys. Yes I guess she could have broken down in a worse place. She was also fortunate not to be travelling faster and hit something when she lost the steering. Don't think she felt lucky but on balance .....
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Peter-S wrote:Cheers guys. Yes I guess she could have broken down in a worse place. She was also fortunate not to be travelling faster and hit something when she lost the steering. Don't think she felt lucky but on balance .....
Cool story. Odd how nobody got in her motor with her innit... perhaps you have uncovered a sinister plot to try and do her in and take someone off the will...
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.