2.8i Oil Cooler Tightening Torque

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Titan grau
Car(s): 2.8i Special Mercury Grey over Stratos Silver

2.8i Oil Cooler Tightening Torque

Post by Titan grau »

Hi,

I'm after the correct torque for the oil cooler shaft to block and also the nut for holding the extension hanger for the oil filter, unless I've missed it, I cant see it in the manual or supplement. Anyone got an idea of what it should be or what has worked for them?
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: 2.8i Oil Cooler Tightening Torque

Post by Noel »

The 2.8i supplement manual lists one torque for oil cooler related parts and that is the "Threaded sleeve - oil cooler" which is 20-40Nm.
This is the sleeve that passes through the oil cooler body and holds it to the threaded bush screwed into the block.

There's no other torque specified, and indeed on the reprinted supplement I have it shows the oil filter spinning direct onto the oil cooler, with no L shaped hanger. The nut that holds the hanger on probably just needs to be as tight as an oil filter would be because its only a rubber seal in there, so just normal spanner tight.
I found last time I changed the filter that the hanger can rotate forward/back when you are encouraging the old filter off so its not rock-solid tight.
If that makes sense.

I don't know when the extension was added, my 1983 car has the extension must have been a relatively early revision.

Noel.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Noel wrote:I found last time I changed the filter that the hanger can rotate forward/back when you are encouraging the old filter off so its not rock-solid tight.
Same here. That must be tight enough as there is no sign of oil seepage there.

Andrew.
Titan grau
Car(s): 2.8i Special Mercury Grey over Stratos Silver

Post by Titan grau »

Many thanks guys. I didn't find that, or missed it, in my supplement. Maybe it depends on print version, mine is nearly as old as my car. Makes sense as I recall the sleeve was rock solid to get off, the end nut not so bad. I've got all new seals and copper washer so I'll go with your info, thanks again.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Titan grau wrote:Many thanks guys. I didn't find that, or missed it, in my supplement.
Hi,
Noel is referring to the 2.8 supplement in the Ford workshop manual, not the owner's manual.
If you haven't already got one, it's definitely worth buying.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Capri-Workshop ... dpSrc=srch

Andrew.