Power steering is now a must

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Power steering is now a must

Post by blitzy »

Ok guy between my whip lash and now issue with my right shoulder (doctors still not sure if the joints inflamed or it related to the whiplash injury or nerve damage) any way bottom line is the Capri will need power steering. I know 2.8 & 3.0 had it and there is a Tickover kit for the pintos.
Is there any other kits alternatives etc?
its even the case my L200 steering is feels heavy along with both my ford transits so its defo me that has the issue.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Power steering is now a must

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

blitzy wrote:Is there any other kits alternatives etc?
I don't know much, or anything really, about it, but don't some people fit the electric PAS from a Corsa C?

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I think that Burton Power might also do a conversion?

But have you tried the usual tricks to lighten the steering, as they do work, i.e. keep to standard width tyres (this made a massive difference on mine as it came with incorrect 205 tyres on), have pressures on the high side, maybe roller top mounts too?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have always wonder how easy it would be , my car is at Tickover now and I never knew they did a kit I might enquire what’s involved and cost when I pick the car up this week .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

You could fit Corsa electric power steering its very popular in the world of classics as it is hidden away under the dash on the column
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I did ask and yes there’s a electric set up about £650 ish for the kit or using a 2.8i streering rack with special brackets that are really hard to find .

So yes it can be done .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I just been looking at this myself .I have decided that making a new X member and rack mounts ( to aid making/fitting Rover V8 ) is going to be easier than altering everything else so I am going for a Mazda RX8 electric rack ( its all on the rack not the colum ) , and I can get one here for about 80 gbp.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Pinto fitted sierras had pas as standard.

The only difficulty is finding one!
I can’t remember the spec but I think you fit a 2.8 crossmember and rack and the pump and the rest from the Sierra.

It’ll be documented on here. Many of us early ones where doing these converstions around in the early days of the forum about 2000.

OllyW
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Not another one to repeat what is above, but the Corsa C conversions are very cheap especially if you source the main guts from a donor car and are willing to do work.
I am holding onto my scrappy Corsa C just in case there bits like that i need when i get my Capper going!
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)