Colour coded bumpers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
NaisiaN
Car(s): 1.6 laser 1986. (Toy)
1.4 Renault 19 TR 1989. (Daily)

Colour coded bumpers?

Post by NaisiaN »

Asked this on a facebook group but you guys are more knowledgeable.

Someone on here sent me a picture of my car just after i bought it and it shows it had colour coded bumpers. I can see around the over-riders a little bit of silver underneath the black so they've been repainted.

Was this a factory option for the laser, or any of the other models?
Not seen any with colour coded ones before except for a picture on the Capri laser site that links to this forum. Must be quite a rare option if so?
Jordan
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Colour coded bumpers?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

NaisiaN wrote:Was this a factory option for the laser, or any of the other models?
No, it was never a factory option. That customisation was an 80s and 90s thing, perhaps owners wanted their cars to look more modern? To me it looks hideous...

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

:agree:

I've also painted the headlight surrounds and grille black as looking at the pictures of Nick's I personally liked it more. Nothing irreversable if someone wants it stock though!

The only 80's ford that looked better with colour-coded bumpers was the 87-89 years Mk2 Fiesta Populars. They did brighten up the car but the paint on the bumpers was broken up with the black rubbing stripes.
NaisiaN
Car(s): 1.6 laser 1986. (Toy)
1.4 Renault 19 TR 1989. (Daily)

Post by NaisiaN »

Cheers, thats one of replies i got saying it was custom. They definitely look horrible with colour coded! Black grill, light surrounds and bumpers is the best look IMO. May consider getting the bumpers stripped and redone black now i know its not some rare option id destroy. The black paints starting to flake off in small places so another job to add to the list!

Ive also painted my grill and surrounds black as they were silver to begin with. Peelable paint tho so can be put back to standard. :guitar:
Jordan