Sad geek needing answer to daft question

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
aikmanmosquito
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, a few other cars that aren't Capris

Sad geek needing answer to daft question

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Can anyone give me a clue as to what colour the original brake pipes are in the engine bay? trying to find it to tidy them up and return engine bay to standard, I know they're green, but what is the closest match, and where can I buy the paint. My local Halfords no longer do paint matching!!
Also engine crossmembers, were they all satin black when new? Car is an 87 Laser. And while we're on the subject of paint, were the petrol tanks when cars were new painted silver or black? Yes I am sad, but want my car as close to new condition as poss.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Sad geek needing answer to daft question

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

aikmanmosquito wrote:And while we're on the subject of paint, were the petrol tanks when cars were new painted silver or black? Yes I am sad, but want my car as close to new condition as poss.
Hi,
Restoring your car to original specifications isn't sad at all.
On most of the low mileage/ immaculate cars that I've seen at shows and peered under, the fuel tank has been silver. That, I assume would be the original finish. I used U-Pol steel wheel silver as the topcoat on my tank, and I think it looks pretty good.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Re the brake pipes there are two different shades of green used. The one running to the rear brakes is a slightly brighter shade of green to the sort of Olive green on the front circuit pipes.

I've taken a pic of mine but the light is bad and it's blurry but it does show the colours.t

You are not a sad geek wanting your car to be right.
aikmanmosquito
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, a few other cars that aren't Capris

Post by aikmanmosquito »

No that helps, thanks, just need to find someone local who does paint matching
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I use Carplan green for the brake pipes, I always paint them as it does my fruit to see bright copper/kunifer pipes stretching all over the engine bay. From memory I think it's either number 15 or 23.
The crossmember is satin black.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprigear wrote:I use Carplan green for the brake pipes, I always paint them as it does my fruit to see bright copper/kunifer pipes stretching all over the engine bay.
Thanks Martin,
That's another job for me to add to my to-do list! :)

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Looking at the colour of the pipes in my blurry photo I would say use BMC engine green paint for the fronts and Ford pine green for the rears if you want to be really exact with the originals!