Pinto engine change recomdations?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Martincapri
Car(s): 2.0s

Pinto engine change recomdations?

Post by Martincapri »

Hi everyone.
I currently have a 1.6 pinto in my laser. I want to replace it with a 2.0. I have several engines to choose from. One 2.0 block originally from a capri that had apparently been reconditioned but doesn't turn over freely. Another 205 block from a transit with apparently really low mileage. The transit lump looks the cleanest but I haven't taken the sump off yet. Just wondering what you guys think I should go for. Would the transit lump have an unsuitable cam shafts for a capri.
Thanks Martin.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Pinto engine change recomdations?

Post by Paul G »

The Transit engine is a low compression engine and wouldn't have much more go than a good 1.6. It will be torqey though. The cam in them is basically a 1.6 cam.

Transit 2 litre blocks can be rebored and fitted with normal 2.0 pistons and fitted with a 2.0 head, cam, manifolds and 32/36 carb to make them the same as a standard Capri engine.

To keep costs down I'd strip the other engine first to see why it is stiff - it might just need a thorough clean out and bore hone to get it working again.
Martincapri

Post by Martincapri »

So the transit lump is completely different. I was thinking it might just have a different cam. Thanks for the information much appreciated. I'll get the capri lump on a stand and check it out. If it was rebuilt before I got it that might explain the tightness.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Why don't you get the transit 205 block rip it to bits and have it rebored to take 93mm pistons, have the head skimmed 40thou and a high lift cam you will have a peppy little engine then
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Thinking more carefully about it, Transit blocks were usually stamped "202". It could be a case that someone had stuck a Sierra engine in the Transit. If you whip the head off you will see if it's got flat top pistons and measure the valve head diameters to see if they match Sierra dimentions.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

I've had low comp 205 blocks in the past
Martincapri

Post by Martincapri »

The transit engine would be a good Base for lary rebuild but I would just like a good reliable pinto. I'm on a bit of a budget with the engine so the 2.0 will be the best I think. Is it right that the 2.0 on a standard cam the valves won't hit the pistons if the cam belt snaps?
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Martincapri wrote:The transit engine would be a good Base for lary rebuild but I would just like a good reliable pinto. I'm on a bit of a budget with the engine so the 2.0 will be the best I think. Is it right that the 2.0 on a standard cam the valves won't hit the pistons if the cam belt snaps?
Should be ok but no guarantees lol
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Martincapri wrote:Is it right that the 2.0 on a standard cam the valves won't hit the pistons if the cam belt snaps?
Should be the case yes, as it is non interference, so the car would simply just stop. Why don't they make all cars like that :)
Martincapri

Post by Martincapri »

If only they were all as simple as a pinto. Thanks for the information guys much appreciated.
79Caprigl
Car(s): Capri 1.6gl (restoration project)

Post by 79Caprigl »

I know it's not on your list and ruins originality but the st170 is a good option in terms of cost to power ratio!

However, I've got a 1.6 pinto in mine and intend to convert to a 2.0 pinto to at least retain the originality a bit. I'm going for the transit 202 block with low compression pistons as I've read they are good for potential turbo conversions. Read David Vizards book on SOHC Ford engines too, very informative :cheers:
Martincapri

Post by Martincapri »

I did look into putting a black top zetec in it as I have one in the shed but was put off by what I would have to buy to convert it. If I was restoring a capri and didn't have an engine I would probably go down the zetec route.
Pinto for now I think lol. Thanks for the information.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

If the "reconditioned" one is for true , and hasn't been run it will be stiff to turn. Take the plugs out and have a butchers thru the plug hole while Robin turns the engine over . If the cylinder walls look freshly honed you may be on a winner. Id take the time to prime the oil system really well ( dizzy out and spin the oil pump up with a battery drill ) before starting...............................should you wind up buying it :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Martincapri

Post by Martincapri »

Mc Tool wrote:If the "reconditioned" one is for true , and hasn't been run it will be stiff to turn. Take the plugs out and have a butchers thru the plug hole while Robin turns the engine over . If the cylinder walls look freshly honed you may be on a winner. Id take the time to prime the oil system really well ( dizzy out and spin the oil pump up with a battery drill ) before starting...............................should you wind up buying it :)
Great thanks for the reply. I have it on the engine stand and will be pulling it to bits soon. Thanks for the tip on spinning the oil pump good idea. I'm sure I'll be on here for some more advice once it's in bits.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Have a look at the gaskets and if they look new or have been painted over with the rest of the engine you might be better leaving the block/head/sump assy in one bit . maybe take the cam cover off to view the condition / age of the cam and followers ( and to verify oil supply at the spray bar when you pre oil the engine ).
Hoping that the engine is new , as long as you have oil pressure and coolant ( water is ok for a quick test ) and correct valve clearance ............cant hurt to kick her in the guts and see how it goes leak and horrible noise-wise :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Martincapri

Post by Martincapri »

Mc Tool wrote:Have a look at the gaskets and if they look new or have been painted over with the rest of the engine you might be better leaving the block/head/sump assy in one bit . maybe take the cam cover off to view the condition / age of the cam and followers ( and to verify oil supply at the spray bar when you pre oil the engine ).
Hoping that the engine is new , as long as you have oil pressure and coolant ( water is ok for a quick test ) and correct valve clearance ............cant hurt to kick her in the guts and see how it goes leak and horrible noise-wise :)
I probably would have done just that but for some reason the engine won't turn orer so definitely got to have it to bits. Might get the head done for unleaded while I'm at it. Been quoted about £20 per exhaust value.