Exhaust recommendations

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
03kkeane
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0s

Exhaust recommendations

Post by 03kkeane »

Hi all
Looking to mod my exhaust system to make it sound abit better. It's a 2.0s any recommendation ? What are other people using
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Re: Exhaust recommendations

Post by r2vdh »

Get an ashley system. Manifold to the back. Sounds awesome. If you have a few quid get a janspeed system.
03kkeane
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0s

Post by 03kkeane »

I messaged janspeed and they said they no longer make them
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

The two inch or three inch from the CCI and the manifold sounds just right .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:The two inch or three inch from the CCI and the manifold sounds just right .

CCI;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-P ... SwNSxVE0Du
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-P ... SweW5VE0G2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-p ... SweW5VFIMQ

Cheaper Sportex;
https://www.sportexdirect.co.uk/capri-1 ... 00-717.php
https://www.sportexdirect.co.uk/capri/s ... 13-708.php

Currently Nick has a Sportex on his 2.0 and Andrew has them on his 2.8......I had them on a 2.8 and must admit they do sound good :D

Janspeed only do the 2.8 and 3.0 systems now!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I got a whole system, standard, from Klarius. Very pleased with it, great sound and around £90 for the whole lot delivered.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Standard 2" kit from Sportex is decent and makes a nice noise without being deafening, I later upgraded to a 3" exit with no silencer so way louder... I can no longer drive quietly even if I wanted to but does sound the nuts :lol:

I think they're decent kits, have served me well!

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:I got a whole system, standard, from Klarius. Very pleased with it, great sound and around £90 for the whole lot delivered.
IIRC Bosal and Walker were close to a standard system in looks and sound too, many motor factors supplied them.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Sound aside for a min, which of the two kits (CCI and Sportex) is the best fit?
Some aftermarket systems are a biatch to line up and fit together....even clanking on floor pan etc.. :headscratch:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I was under the impression that the CCI and Sportex exhausts were one and the same.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
I was under the impression that the CCI and Sportex exhausts were one and the same.

Andrew.
Possibly.
Peter Lloyd Exhausts were Sportex systems.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

timfromull wrote:Sound aside for a min, which of the two kits (CCI and Sportex) is the best fit?
Some aftermarket systems are a biatch to line up and fit together....even clanking on floor pan etc.. :headscratch:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:I was under the impression that the CCI and Sportex exhausts were one and the same.
Hi Tim,

I agree with Andrew. CCI and Sportex I believe to be identical. At the time I bought my system I looked into it and everything about them both is identical. Exactly same manifold, 'bomb' type rear silencer and even the choice of either 2" or 3" rolled stainless end pipe is identical. Think they both offered the straight through ( no bomb silencer) option too. Cannot see how the sound would not differ at all between the two either. I am guessing CCI must get their supplies from whoever makes up the Sportex systems. Think at the time CCI called theirs the Club Performance System.

With regards to fitting them I am guessing that a Pinto will surely be easier than a 2.8 set up as it has an easier route but the chap that originally fitted mine did curse it somewhat saying it was a pig to fit but its never knocked or banged anywhere and seems to have good clearance throughout. The only thing I would say is the exhaust does hang quite low underneath on mine so any of those stupidly high speed humps I need to be a bit careful. I am not sure if anyone else has the same or whether its just how mine was fitted. It certainly looks like there is no other way it would sit higher than how its fitted so presume its as it was intended and it has no problem with knocking the floor pan at all. The tail pipe
has good clearance too. My previous Laser I recall the clearance with a standard system was a bit tighter as I had to get one fitted and had to bring it back a couple of times as the tailpipe was knocking. Might just have been how it was fitted but I do believe the Sportex hangs a tad lower so better clearance. Suppose the fit depends a lot on the suppliers and so the CCI and Sportex should not really differ at all.

On my previous Laser with the standard system I used to catch higher than normal speed humps too ! Now I just avoid any routes I know that have any sort of humps in B112. Petrol Stations have even started laying speed humps at the entrance and exits of some of their stations and one I used to use laid such a high one it just scraped the exhaust so I don't bring B112 there any more...their loss !!!

Mind you before I upgraded to the Sportex my standard exhaust used to catch high humps too. Bleedin London eh ! Mind you some of the humps up in West Yorkshire look like the local bleedin farmer has laid them to suit fucking tractors :lol:

Good Luck with getting your new exhaust Tim. The Sportex/CCI deffo has a nicer tone to it than the standard imo but its a matter of personal choice...just ask Danny with his straight thru 3" tailpipe :o :lol: :lol:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Mine hits speed humps as well “ bloody things “ I have the CCI one fitted and it does sound nice I think I have the 2” but never got the tape out to measure .
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Get a 4 branch then pop to a local powerflow (Or whatever they are called in your area and get a stainless made on your car, that way you won't get fitment/catching issues, it's guaranteed for life and you can control how loud they make it by telling them what you want
andyd

Post by andyd »

fordperv wrote:Get a 4 branch then pop to a local powerflow (Or whatever they are called in your area and get a stainless made on your car, that way you won't get fitment/catching issues, it's guaranteed for life and you can control how loud they make it by telling them what you want
Good idea. Longlife are good too but will probably be a lot more than CCI or Sportex as custom made.

Powerflow removed the Sportex from my 2.8 and fitted the Janspeed. They had a few alignment issues but they sorted it easily enough.
andyd

Post by andyd »

In my experience, Powerflow items themselves actually restrict power!
When you think how much time and money goes into designing an exhaust system for a specific car, how good are custom made systems and do they really work that well :?
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

andyd wrote:In my experience, Powerflow items themselves actually restrict power!
When you think how much time and money goes into designing an exhaust system for a specific car, how good are custom made systems and do they really work that well :?
Stock exhaust manifolds and 2x 2.5" marine grade stainess steel exhaust is good enough for 2.8.
Janspeed or what ever dont give any extra.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

The CCI kits are just sportex, I got my first sportex from ebay, second time around I just got a manifold from CCI and it had sportex written on it so... pretty straight conclusion there :lol:

I've had a few niggles with mine scraping on speed bumps or going up ramps in car parks that are too steep etc. but not sure if that's because the exhaust is too low or if its just that the car is low.... They fit pretty well, but I would say that you need a fair bit of space to jiggle the thing into the right place and can be a bit stiff, particularly at the last section of the exhaust that goes over the top of the rear axle, is a right pain in the backside trying to force it into place...

I worked from the front of the car back trying to do it but it would arguably be easier to work from the back forwards. The tailpipe has a hanger you need to get in, so does the rear muffler/silencer underneath the passenger side on the car which are held in place with the hangers and rubber mounts which are quite stiff/awkward to put on if you work from the manifold backwards as the manifold is already bolted in place so has little wiggle room. If you work from the back then the last part you'll need to put in is the manifold, connect it to the next section underneath the car and then you can move the whole system around when fitting the manifold; It's much easier to move the rest of the exhaust parts as they are not bolted in a solid position and have some flexibility in them unlike the manifold if you fitted that first and bolt it in

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:The CCI kits are just sportex, I got my first sportex from ebay, second time around I just got a manifold from CCI and it had sportex written on it so... pretty straight conclusion there :lol:

Danny
CCI are just a dearer option then :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Has anybody done the twin exhaust for the pinto I have always had my eye on that but mine sounds just right I don’t want to lose that sweet note .