Road Tax Price

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Road Tax Price

Post by andyd »

IMO bloody terrible prices for pre 2001 cars, at £255 a year or £267.75 if 12 monthly payments :o

In my case, far more than a years insurance :doh:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Road Tax Price

Post by Paul G »

Bloody theft if you ask me. Have to pay £280 a year for my Octavia VRS and the bastards still can't fill in the pot holes in the roads causing me to have a broken spring last week.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:Bloody theft if you ask me. Have to pay £280 a year for my Octavia VRS and the bastards still can't fill in the pot holes in the roads causing me to have a broken spring last week.
:agree: Paul, some roads here are terrible. The pavements are in better condition :shock:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

andyd wrote:
Paul G wrote:Bloody theft if you ask me. Have to pay £280 a year for my Octavia VRS and the bastards still can't fill in the pot holes in the roads causing me to have a broken spring last week.
:agree: Paul, some roads here are terrible. The pavements are in better condition :shock:
In one of the outlying districts of Wycombe there has been a 6' deep sink hole in the pavement outside a parade of shops. It's been there 6 months or so whilst all the stupid morons that think they're in authority bicker over who's going to pay for it to be filled in.

The roads they patched last year are already falling to bits and honestly you would get a smoother ride driving in the fields around where I am.

With my car I just paid the £70 for a new spring and top mount and put it on myself. Can't be bothered with dealing with the morons to try and get compo for it.
andyd

Post by andyd »

It's wrong that it costs more in road tax to do 500 miles a year in an old Ford 1.6 than 10,000 miles in a newer 1.6 :headscratch:

Currently, many old cars pay nothing and many new cars pay next to nothing, leaving those in the middle (rich or poor) to pick up the tab.

Surely if every vehicle (inc zero emissions) paid something, then the cost per person would be a lot less :?

In 30 or so years time when all cars are zero emissions or electric how will the tax be calculated then, as gas guzzlers etc will be almost extinct.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Totally agree Andy. Taxed mine today, went for the tight arse option & put 6 months on it for £140. That's enough to pay for a year I recon, as same as you my insurance is little over half that.
Still, after the enjoyable drive I had in it today, it's the best £140 I've spent this year :D
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Totally agree Andy. Taxed mine today, went for the tight arse option & put 6 months on it for £140. That's enough to pay for a year I recon, as same as you my insurance is little over half that.
Still, after the enjoyable drive I had in it today, it's the best £140 I've spent this year :D
Me too, but went for monthly option as 6 months (max) is likely to be it.....So a bargain at under £134 when all paid :D

Not been out today though :(
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Only five years to go, then my car will be tax exempt. :D

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Only five years to go, then my car will be tax exempt. :D

Andrew.
:sorry: Andrew, but I'm starting a petition to stop the tax exempt law by then......... :whistle: :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I must have been off with the fairy’s because I taxed mine the other day and thought I had paid £225 but after checking your right it’s £255 . I got 9 more years before free tax and reading a classic magazine they might start putting a co2 tax on older cars in city centres .

On another topic we put down how many miles we do I wonder what the cost is per mile after insurance and tax . ?

Still worth every penny ........ :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: after checking your right it’s £255
That's interesting as I paid £245 this year. On checking, I noticed that I bought it in March, so that must have been before the price rise. Result! :)

Andrew.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

I have an issue with all classic cars paying car tax. For me they should be tax exempt over 25 years old. Too me they are working museum's that are mobile. Without these preservations of heritage there wouldn't be any classic car shows and no money spinners for the events and nothing for that particular local economy and a loss of history. What's the difference between a classic car show and a motor museum? We should all be tax exempt, allowed to apply for lotto funding etc and not pay any fuel duty.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
That's interesting as I paid £245 this year. On checking, I noticed that I bought it in March, so that must have been before the price rise. Result! :)

Andrew.
I did get mine in March perhaps it was £245 i thought it was £225 , must be my age you know what it’s like on these iPads it does the pay thing for you , what I do know is I paid for March and only took the car out once . Friday looks like a good day and my daughters is going to Thorpe Park with a friend who lives near Guildford so I might take it for a nice long drive to pick her up . Friday night on the M25 it should be a quite drive ?

Edit yes I paid £245 in March I just checked on my bank . :cool:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

This is a very taxing issue :) :sorry: :wave:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd

Post by andyd »

As many have said in the past maybe scrap road tax and put the price onto petrol, so the more you drive the more you pay and everyone pays.....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:As many have said in the past maybe scrap road tax and put the price onto petrol, so the more you drive the more you pay and everyone pays.....
Makes sense to me.

Andrew.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:As many have said in the past maybe scrap road tax and put the price onto petrol, so the more you drive the more you pay and everyone pays.....
Makes sense to me.

Andrew.
I agree. Same for things like the emissions charges, c charge etc where I think everyone should have a quota of days they can drive in central London for example, so as not to penalise those who do so very occasionally and e.g. do so on a Sunday morning!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
That's interesting as I paid £245 this year.
I taxed a vehicle in the last couple of days, that was £245 also.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:still can't fill in the pot holes in the roads causing me to have a broken spring last week.
You might be able to claim the costs for that back Paul.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote:
Paul G wrote:still can't fill in the pot holes in the roads causing me to have a broken spring last week.
You might be able to claim the costs for that back Paul.
Someone in the office tried to claim back for a puncture on the local roads and they demanded a picture of the pothole with a description of the location so they could investigate it... Needless to say this isn't possible on the country road in question which is surrounded by trees with many blind bends and drivers who still insist on doing 50+mph on said road :roll:

Also saw a picture of a copper up north measuring the depth of potholes and accompanying message saying that if they are below a certain depth then they aren't a matter of concern!

Stupid rule really... I like the idea of taxing the petrol as it makes sense, the more you use the more you pay! Seems much more fair than forking out £245 a year for the luxury of not being able to drive anywhere unless I look like a drunk swerving all over the place to avoid the potholes!

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.