Pinto Core Plug replacenent

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Pinto Core Plug replacenent

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all :wave:

Chaps bit of advice please.

One of my core plugs needs replacing as after a bit of a panic yesterday fearing the worst after seeing that water was leaking pretty fast onto the garage floor just before taking for a drive. I then seen it was coming from the recess of the plug. John (from sunny Spain) quickly calmed me down confirming panic over and that it was the core plug needs replacing. Indeed Neil spotted early signs of this at The Ace last year as some staining was present around the recess but no leak itself. Now its deffo leaking I need to replace. Closer inspection and it looks like its got 'history' and a tad corroded poss from a previous leak ? Anyway its getting replaced !

As I have not done this job before my question is if any sort of sealing compound is required when fitting the new one or does the new one just get banged in without. Am guessing no sealing compound as it needs to be able to 'move' if required in the future.

Any advice appreciated

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Pinto Core Plug replacenent

Post by Jasonmarie »

I did a core plug many years ago with my grandad and we did use a sealant also the surface has to be really clean and we used a copper pipe to block the hole so no rubbish went in when we cleaned around the hole . you will need a socket that’s the same size of the core plug and you tap it in with a rubber hammer . Until you here a sound that’s it in .

Sorry not very good instructions but that’s from my almost 50 year old mind .

I do wonder if it was the weather as it really did drop here at home ?

If not get somebody to do the job as it can not cost that much .

Best of luck mate
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Hi all :wave:

Chaps bit of advice please.

One of my core plugs needs replacing as after a bit of a panic yesterday fearing the worst after seeing that water was leaking pretty fast onto the garage floor just before taking for a drive. I then seen it was coming from the recess of the plug. John (from sunny Spain) quickly calmed me down confirming panic over and that it was the core plug needs replacing. Indeed Neil spotted early signs of this at The Ace last year as some staining was present around the recess but no leak itself. Now its deffo leaking I need to replace. Closer inspection and it looks like its got 'history' and a tad corroded poss from a previous leak ? Anyway its getting replaced !

As I have not done this job before my question is if any sort of sealing compound is required when fitting the new one or does the new one just get banged in without. Am guessing no sealing compound as it needs to be able to 'move' if required in the future.

Any advice appreciated

All the best

Nick
Drain your coolant out Nick then using a hammer and large screwdriver punch through the old core plug then lever it out of the block. Get some emery paper and really clean the inside where the plug sits trying to get rid of every bit of crud and surface rust. Really get it as clean and smooth as you can.
If the manifold or other bits are in the way I would really recommend removing them so as you have good access to the core plug in question.

Find a socket or bit of tube that sits snugly inside the new core plug then offer it up to the block and hammer it in. Be careful not to get it in squew whiff and make sure it goes in to the exact depth that the old one was.

So long as the mating face cleaned up well with no pitting or corrosion you should not need any sealant but I tend to put a very thin smear of Chemical Metal just round the mating edge after the plug is fitted just in case - but just smear a bit with a finger carefully so that it is not noticeable or tatty looking.

Finally give the outside of the core plug a coat of paint matching the engine and make sure you put coolant of at least 40/60 antifreeze/ water or preferably 50/50.

Hope this helps.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hey thanks guys.

Jason thats a great tip to block up the hole to stop any crap getting in. You did well to remember this at your age :lol: Nice one mate. You used a sealant then. Can you think what it was ??

Paul as ever thanks for another of your great 'how to' tutorials. Yep must not forget to drain the coolant first mate ! I am on a 50:50 mix with coolant and de-ionised water. Paul when you say you smear a bit of Chemical Metal do you mean the expoxy filler stuff ?? I am worried I might seal in the plug permantly knowing me !! Have got some black engine block paint to tidy it up when fitted.

Just looked on you tube and no mention of sealing the plug but can see why some sort of 'sealing' would be better without permantly sealing of course.

Is there much pressure on these plugs under normal driving conditions ??

Will give it a go without moving anything if I can avoid it but old cars do bite back every so often so will see how it goes !!

Will keep you updated

All the best chaps and thanks again

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Its amazing really how vital these cheap plugs actually are costing only a few quid. Could be the difference between a new core plug or a cracked engine block....not worth thinking about is it :?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nick , I have not got a clue but I can give him a buzz tommorow and ask I know he is 94 but all his marbles are there .

Yes I know I was under the car with it up on ramps as you have to knock it in straight .
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Hey thanks guys.

Paul when you say you smear a bit of Chemical Metal do you mean the expoxy filler stuff ?? I am worried I might seal in the plug permantly knowing me !!

Is there much pressure on these plugs under normal driving conditions ??

Nick
I wasn't very clear explaining what I meant. After you have fitted the new plug I would just run a thin smear of (yes epoxy would be ok) around the joint between the block and the core plug. It's a belt and braces thing and could stop any future weeping. If the mating surface in the block cleans up perfectly then this would probably be unnecessary. Don't put it around the core plug before fitting as it could make fitting it difficult - it's what's called an interference fit wherby the plug will be machined either the same size or a microscopic bit larger than the hole in the block to hold it in place and allow for expansion when the engine gets hot.

Under normal driving conditions it will only be under standard cooling system pressure which is a considerably less than the force you will have to use to remove and refit the plug.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Paul G wrote:I wasn't very clear explaining what I meant. After you have fitted the new plug I would just run a thin smear of (yes epoxy would be ok) around the joint between the block and the core plug. It's a belt and braces thing and could stop any future weeping. If the mating surface in the block cleans up perfectly then this would probably be unnecessary. Don't put it around the core plug before fitting as it could make fitting it difficult - it's what's called an interference fit wherby the plug will be machined either the same size or a microscopic bit larger than the hole in the block to hold it in place and allow for expansion when the engine gets hot.

Under normal driving conditions it will only be under standard cooling system pressure which is a considerably less than the force you will have to use to remove and refit the plug.
Thats very informative Paul. Thank you mate :)

There are four of these core plugs on a Pinto aren't there. Two on the exhaust manifold side and two on rear of engine somewhere. The rear ones must be a nightmare to replace !
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

The rear one on the back of the head is a c**t to do and is easier and probably quicker to do with the head off, but there is also one on the back of the block which would mean removing gearbox, clutch and flywheel. Ouch!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I was wrong I never used sealant I just used grease but the hole must be really clean and check no damage to the block.

Hope that helps mate .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Paul G wrote:The rear one on the back of the head is a c**t to do and is easier and probably quicker to do with the head off, but there is also one on the back of the block which would mean removing gearbox, clutch and flywheel. Ouch!
Ouch ! Indeed Paul !! That sounds like a very big job just to replace a plug !!!

It still amazes me how a few plugs for a few quid can be the difference between :crying: and :D ! Thankfully it seems mine has just slowly given up rather than an issue with the coolant freezing up ! But it looks like it would have done exactly what its supposed to do if need be. Phew !
Jasonmarie wrote:So I was wrong I never used sealant I just used grease but the hole must be really clean and check no damage to the block.
Thanks Jason. Yep preparation is the most important process aint it mate. Cut corners at your peril :shock: The older I get the more time I seem to spend prepping anything be it car stuff or house decorating but its part of the enjoyment when you get the results :)

Cheers guys
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi chaps,

Bit of an update....

Finally had a chance to pop down to the capri yesterday to have a look at the core plug needing replacing as was concerned about the space and what I was hoping might be fairly straightforward is just a wee bit more complicated. Just as Paul had guessed the exhaust manifold is bang right in front of the plug needing replacing...bleedin typical :lol:

Yep there is no room to work at all so the manifold will need to come off. I can see that this will deffo free up the space completely and give me all the room to work and swing a rubber mallet !! Just been onto Martin to supply me some new manifold gaskets and a spare clamp just in case !! Its just finding the time to do it now as I being so busy when I am not working doing DIY stuff round the house to keep Mrs F happy ! I have to build up my 'points balance' with her for the upcoming show season so I can be allowed out to play !!

I have disconnected the earth terminal on battery for the first time so B112 is officially off the road ! Wont be for long though :lol:

Hopefully will get a chance to get down to do it in next couple of weeks. John has kindly said he will pop over to keep an eye on me !!

If it was the 'other' core plug towards the front end of engine block side then space would not have been an issue whatsoever as no obstructions at all...again...bleedin typical ! The sportex 4-2-1 manifold deffo takes up a lot more room than the standard original cast manifold. I reckon there may just have been enough room if I still had the original one but even this could have been tight when I see where the plug is.

Anyway I am just glad the mot is not due....CRIPES !!!...yes it is in a few days :shock: :lol:

Ah well glad I found this before the mot so I can get it sorted beforehand. In fact I am looking forward to doing this as its another job I am doing for the first time albeit quite straightforward I know. Instead I had a chance to give my garage a good spring clean yesterday and get rid of old engine oil and batteries and other crap down to the local recycling centre so the time was not wasted. I am deffo gonna paint my garage floor before the summer is out especially now its all cleaned up ! I am now starting to get those withdrawal feelings Paul (pbar) was mentioning when he don't drive his Laser for a while..... :cry:

All the best chaps,

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Always the way with a quick job , you also need the sun to be out and I was hoping for that Easter trip but they are saying rain and snow .
Best of luck with MOT time and keep us posted on the job also some how to pictures would be good .
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Nick

It might pay to have a good good look at the other core plug while you've got everthing dismantled. It would be a PITA if you have to go through all the rigmarol again in a few months.

Don't forget to wash off any coolant mix that gets splashed on the paintwork.

Good luck and give me a shout if you are stuck.

Paul.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Good for you having a go yourself Nick :applaud:
Personally I can't even be bothered to do an oil and filter change anymore......Will get it done in April with the MOT :)

:goodluck: With the 'points balance'.....I don't have that problem, shes glad to get rid of me for the day :cheers:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:Always the way with a quick job Best of luck with MOT time and keep us posted on the job also some how to pictures would be good .
Cheers Jason, yep when you hope a job is going to be without obstacles then you see one can be a tad frustrating but no point getting stressed over it. Its funny this has all come to light just when the mot is up :lol: but as said that can wait so not worried about that at all. Yep if I remember I will take some pictures of the job when doing it. Thanks again mate and hope you get that drive at Easter but as you said the weather is getting colder again !!!
Paul G wrote:It might pay to have a good good look at the other core plug while you've got everthing dismantled. It would be a PITA if you have to go through all the rigmarol again in a few months.
Hi Paul, you were dead right about the manifold mate !! Think I was kidding myself by hoping the job could be done from another angle as I knew it was tight but the manifold is bang right in front of the plug !!! No chance of even getting to it from below but I don't like working upside down anyway as it confuses me somewhat !! Paul, I did have a look at the other core plug towards the front end and its actually in very good condition indeed. It actually looks to be a newer one so may have been replaced just before I acquired B112 ? There is deffo no sign of corrosion or leaking whatsoever and as it is much more accessible I will leave this one be for now but if it needs doing I wont be so nervous doing it having done the more difficult one ! Having said this if the other one goes well I may well decide to replace this one. It will be an 'at the moment in time' decision mate. Thanks very much for thinking to mention this to me though. Will deffo bear it in mind.
Paul G wrote:Don't forget to wash off any coolant mix that gets splashed on the paintwork.

Good luck and give me a shout if you are stuck.
Again another great tip ! I will cover up as much as I possibly can Paul and will be very careful. I seen a you tube video of some guy whose method of draining the coolant was to simply drill a hole into the core plug and let the coolant shoot out. He was lying underneath the car doing this and thought it was funny ???? Think I will stick to draining the coolant the traditional way :lol:

Thanks very much again Paul and for the offer of help too. Very much appreciated indeed. I must pop over to you for a cuppa sometime and to have a sneak preview of your hard work you been doing on your Capri's if ok with you. You must only be less than an hour from me so not too far :)
andyd wrote:Good for you having a go yourself Nick. Personally I can't even be bothered to do an oil and filter change anymore......Will get it done in April with the MOT :)
Thanks Andy, its the support from this great forum that gives me the confidence to take on more and more jobs myself...within reason :lol:

Yep its not a big job I know but its still really nice to get the encouragement from you chaps and as its something I aint done before am looking forward to doing it. It might take me twice as long as some of you chaps here but I will take my time and enjoy doing it and following all the advice I have been given. And as John will be present if anything goes pear shaped I have his wisdom to fall back on a bit like Paul offering his help too.

I am prob going the opposite way to you Andy as whilst you are looking forward to semi-retirement with a Mr Whippy ( :wave: ) I am actually wanting to do more...but only because I was such a late starter in my 'mechanics life' and am am playing catch up to you guys ! Enjoy your retirement. I must pop over to you for a cuppa too Andy as Devon is only 200 miles or so from me so not too far :lol:
andyd wrote:I don't have that problem, shes glad to get rid of me for the day :cheers:
:sorry: to hear that Andy. I must be very adorable then mate :D :wave:

All the best chaps

Nick
andyd

Post by andyd »

Hi Nick,
Have you sorted the core plug yet ?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I can answer this as there’s was a very clean and when I say clean picture of a Engine bay on face paint over Easter but the owner was in his PJs with man flu .
And the core plug was mention and it’s this weekend .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:Hi Nick,
Hi Andy.

Thanks for asking mate but Jason summed it up pretty well apart from the PJs :lol: :lol:

Mate I was hoping to get cracking on it over Easter to get the manifold off and plug replaced but yep just as Jason said I have been out of action the whole of Easter with a really bad bug/flu of some kind so was deffo not in the right frame of mind to do it. I have a couple of bits I wanted to get coming from Martin this week so will now wait till I get these so have everything I need. Did not forget to get some exhaust jointing paste !!!

I still aint firing on all 4 cylinders now and am now on a crazy early shift at work...up at 0345am so was kinda thinking to do it after work this weekend but will see how it goes. John very kindly said he would pop over to keep an eye on me if I do :lol:.

I am on holiday for 16 days weekend after next anyway so if not this weekend then I will deffo get it done during my hols. B112 is in the garage so am not getting stressed over it and mot expired anyway so I dont need to race to get it done for that....but this now means my first proper test of the core plug when fitted will be the drive down to my mot chap for the mot !!! :shock: :lol:

What can possibly go wrong Andy.....

As soon as I get the job done I will update here mate. It seems like agesssssssssssss since I last drove B112 but all good things come to those who wait....

All the best

Nick

PS Sorry for my extended answer to your question but you did ask ! :wave:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
andyd wrote:Hi Nick,
Hi Andy.

Thanks for asking mate but Jason summed it up pretty well apart from the PJs :lol: :lol:

Mate I was hoping to get cracking on it over Easter to get the manifold off and plug replaced but yep just as Jason said I have been out of action the whole of Easter with a really bad bug/flu of some kind so was deffo not in the right frame of mind to do it. I have a couple of bits I wanted to get coming from Martin this week so will now wait till I get these so have everything I need. Did not forget to get some exhaust jointing paste !!!

I still aint firing on all 4 cylinders now and am now on a crazy early shift at work...up at 0345am so was kinda thinking to do it after work this weekend but will see how it goes. John very kindly said he would pop over to keep an eye on me if I do :lol:.

I am on holiday for 16 days weekend after next anyway so if not this weekend then I will deffo get it done during my hols. B112 is in the garage so am not getting stressed over it and mot expired anyway so I dont need to race to get it done for that....but this now means my first proper test of the core plug when fitted will be the drive down to my mot chap for the mot !!! :shock: :lol:

What can possibly go wrong Andy.....

As soon as I get the job done I will update here mate. It seems like agesssssssssssss since I last drove B112 but all good things come to those who wait....

All the best

Nick

PS Sorry for my extended answer to your question but you did ask ! :wave:
:goodluck: with it all Nick and I'm sure John will do it all (I mean assist) if required :D

PJs :shock: Not worn them since I was 10.......