Cluch or gearbox problem ??

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Cluch or gearbox problem ??

Post by caprikid61 »

My 2 litre laser is starting to struggle to go into gear even when she is warmed up , 1st and reverse seem to be the worst . If I try to select 1st gear I can seem to push the gearstick hard enought to get into gear and if I try and select reverse its just like I am trying to push against a moving part and it just kinda grinds crunches but wont go into gear.

The thing is though if I stop the engine I can select gears no problem :banghead: I have tried adjusting the cluch cable but the cable has to be very slack because if I tighten the cable up it just causes the cluch to slip!!

Prob the cluch but want to make sure before I go ahead and get some quotes . Cheers Alex
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Cluch or gearbox problem ??

Post by Paul G »

It is a clutch problem but check you have got the clutch adjustment right first. Basically when it's adjusted correctly the clutch pedal should be at the same height (distance from the floor) as the brake pedal. There needs to be some slack in the cable as the clutch will otherwise slip as you are experiencing.

If it's still crunchy and obstructive when it's adjusted right then it will be time for a new clutch. Buy a reasonble quality one rather than some cheapy crap off ebay and when the gearbox is out check that the clutch release arm isn't bent or damaged too.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

It is the clutch, fit a good quality one and while you're at it drain the gearbox oil out and refill with ATF.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Paul G wrote:It is a clutch problem but check you have got the clutch adjustment right first. Basically when it's adjusted correctly the clutch pedal should be at the same height (distance from the floor) as the brake pedal. There needs to be some slack in the cable as the clutch will otherwise slip as you are experiencing.

If it's still crunchy and obstructive when it's adjusted right then it will be time for a new clutch. Buy a reasonble quality one rather than some cheapy crap off ebay and when the gearbox is out check that the clutch release arm isn't bent or damaged too.

Thanks for that I will have to phone for some quotes tomorrow I am guessing around £300 plus parts does that sound abought right ?? . Cheers Alex
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Caprigear wrote:It is the clutch, fit a good quality one and while you're at it drain the gearbox oil out and refill with ATF.
Thanks Martin, I will have a look for a cluch can you advice me on any brand that I should look for ?? Also as far as the oil goes I have red oil in the gearbox so I am assuming it ATF . Does a 2 litre laser have a standard cluch its just that I seem to remember there being some cluches with different splines?? Cheers Alex
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

caprikid61 wrote:
Thanks for that I will have to phone for some quotes tomorrow I am guessing around £300 plus parts does that sound abought right ?? . Cheers Alex

It shouldn't be that much if it is only a straight clutch and gearbox oil change. It's not that complex a job for a mechanic with a lift. Shop around for prices if I were you.

Update:- just looked at the Trade Autodata and the "book" time for a mechanic with all the equipment to change a clutch is 2 hours.