Camshaft Identification

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Sploge
Car(s): Ford Capri Mk3 2.0s

Camshaft Identification

Post by Sploge »

Hi all,

Could anyone identify this original Ford camshaft, I believe it to be a standard 1.6 but would like to know for sure, the only markings I could find are these

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Happy Motoring...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Camshaft Identification

Post by Paul G »

On original Ford cams there were dimples on them between no 6 and 7 lobe. 2 dimples was 2 litre and 1 was 1.6 or Transit. They also used to have yellow painted rings on them nearer the front of the cam, again I think one for 1.6 and two for 2.0.

Aftermarket cams are much more difficult to identify but some have the 2 dimples on them for a 2 litre.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

You have some really invaluable knowledge Paul, you must have many decades of experience working on cars.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote:You have some really invaluable knowledge Paul, you must have many decades of experience working on cars.
Nearly 4 decades now Paul, I'm getting (and feeling) rather old now. There's others on here that know far more than me about Capri's though and most of the info can be found on Google if one looks hard enough.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:
Nearly 4 decades now Paul, I'm getting (and feeling) rather old now. There's others on here that know far more than me about Capri's though and most of the info can be found on Google if one looks hard enough.
Yes but there is nothing like the advice from someone who's been there, and done that :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Sploge wrote:
Could anyone identify this original Ford camshaft, I believe it to be a standard 1.6 but would like to know for sure
Interestingly, whilst looking elsewhere, I have come across this info, which may be of help to you -

In addition to Paul's comments above about the dimples, I believe the paint is yellow on a 2.0 and white for the 1.6, which also has a reference of H9 stamped onto it.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

That could well be right but I was sure one had a single painted line and the other two.

2 litre part no is 78-HM-6250-BA and 1.6 is 78-HM-6250-AA on genuine cams. Got a 2 litre one on the table in front of me and it has 2 dimples and a wide single painted orange/yellow band on it. Date stamped 88 though so probably out of a 205 engine.
Sploge
Car(s): Ford Capri Mk3 2.0s

Post by Sploge »

Thanks for the info, I found one dimple on the camshaft, so must be a 1.6, now I can think about putting a 2.0 camshaft into the 1.6 engine, see photo below if anyone is interested

Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Here's a not very good picture of genuine Ford 2.0 cam.

It shows the 2 dimples in the same place as the one dimple on your 1.6.
Last edited by Paul G on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

Can you not find any ID on the end of the camshaft ? I put my phone down between the end of tbe camshaft and the bulkhead . I found out what my cam was by taking this photo .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

As Paul has said some brilliant info here on how to identify the cam. I had my rocker cover off last year to change the spray bar and wished I had asked at the time myself. Next time I have it off :) I will do some of these checks too just to confirm which one I have fitted as I presume this could have an impact on the valve clearances ? Am I right thinking different cams need different gap settings ?

Thats a clever trick with the mobile to check the info stamped on the end of the cam. Never thought of that !

I dug up my old thread when I changed my spray oil with a couple of pics but hard to see any indication of markings

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51263
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

That's a Kent cams FR 32 fast road cam then.

http://www.kentcams.com/product-details ... Fast-Road/

OE cams don't have any markings on the end.

Just shows what I said in my first reply about aftermarket cams being difficult to identify sometimes. Valve clearances on that are different but a standard 1.6 and 2.0 have the same clearances.