Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by timfromull »

As I was born in 1970, I loved the 70's as a bain, but I don't think it was as much fun for adults....power cuts and strikes etc.

I love watching all the re runs of Minder, Sweeney and Professionals etc and laugh at how, as much as I love them..bad they were :cheese:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

timfromull wrote:As I was born in 1970, I loved the 70's as a bain, but I don't think it was as much fun for adults....power cuts and strikes etc.

I love watching all the re runs of Minder, Sweeney and Professionals etc and laugh at how, as much as I love them..bad they were :cheese:
My daughter called me last weekend to say they had a power cut most of the evening. I told her that was a fairly common thing in the 70's, and trying to find the candles in the cupboard in the dark :lol:

The old programmes are still better than the Reality(?) T/V of today though :roll:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Christ yes........ love nostalgic tv, especially cops and robbers stuff.
I cringe when I see them trashing and crashing mk2 Jags with bank robbers in, by ramming them in Grannys and Tinas.
Hind sight is a wonderful thing :doh:
Last edited by timfromull on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

timfromull wrote:Christ yes........ love nostalgic tv, especially cops and robbers stuff.
I cringe when I see then trashing and crashing mk2 Jags with bank robbers in, by ramming them in Grannys and Tinas.
Hind sight is a wonderful thing :doh:
:cheers:
timfromull

Post by timfromull »

Got box on now...... Jim Bergerac has just filled his old motor up with petrol and had a conversation with a very young Ray "shat it you slaaaaaag" Winston about how expensive petrol is......
His full tank of juice....£9.50 :doh:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I remember as a kid in the late 60's going with my Uncle Reg to the petrol station in his Morris Oxford estate (the car I learned to drive in) and he asked for 4 gallons - price one pound.
andyd

Post by andyd »

timfromull wrote:Got box on now...... Jim Bergerac has just filled his old motor up with petrol and had a conversation with a very young Ray "shat it you slaaaaaag" Winston about how expensive petrol is......
Done 2 minutes research :lol: And that episode was 1983, when petrol was 36.7 pence per litre (£1.67 per gallon).

Yes Ray looked so young then, he was in an episode Auf Wiedersehen Pet that year too..... Great series :D
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:I remember as a kid in the late 60's going with my Uncle Reg to the petrol station in his Morris Oxford estate (the car I learned to drive in) and he asked for 4 gallons - price one pound.
Bargain!! And 4 star too :)
timfromull

Post by timfromull »

andyd wrote:
timfromull wrote:Got box on now...... Jim Bergerac has just filled his old motor up with petrol and had a conversation with a very young Ray "shat it you slaaaaaag" Winston about how expensive petrol is......
Done 2 minutes research :lol: And that episode was 1983, when petrol was 36.7 pence per litre (£1.67 per gallon).

Yes Ray looked so young then, he was in an episode Auf Wiedersehen Pet that year too..... Great series :D
That's one of my all time favourite programs.......the reason I became a Carpenter..
Yes wasn't he on the run or something?
andyd

Post by andyd »

timfromull wrote:
andyd wrote:

That's one of my all time favourite programs.......the reason I became a Carpenter..
Yes wasn't he on the run or something?
"Dennis, I'm not a carpenter man"....!! :)

The Fugitive, he was on the run from the Army.

It is currently on 'Yesterday' Channel at 7 and 8 pm Sundays.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

timfromull wrote:As I was born in 1970, I loved the 70's as a bain, but I don't think it was as much fun for adults....power cuts and strikes etc.

Pretty much what Andy has already said, but -

I'd take power cuts and strikes over today's problems any time! Power cuts weren't so bad. It was actually like an event, candles came out and we could still play games. Can you imagine them now, aww I was charging up my phone, aww I was going on my ipad, aww my xbox won't work, aww I was just going to tell the world some ground breaking news on Facebook.

In fact, I think power cuts should be compulsory.

And if you want cheese, just watch modern TV, big brother, TOWIE, holidays from hell, celebrity this and that, X factor, the list goes on. That's cheese. And I bet people won't be watching repeats of those in 40 years.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:

Pretty much what Andy has already said, but -

I'd take power cuts and strikes over today's problems any time! Power cuts weren't so bad. It was actually like an event, candles came out and we could still play games. Can you imagine them now, aww I was charging up my phone, aww I was going on my ipad, aww my xbox won't work, aww I was just going to tell the world some ground breaking news on Facebook.

In fact, I think power cuts should be compulsory.

And if you want cheese, just watch modern TV, big brother, TOWIE, holidays from hell, celebrity this and that, X factor, the list goes on. That's cheese. And I bet people won't be watching repeats of those in 40 years.
:applaud: Nice one Paul.
I reckon dominoes, board games, cards etc have pretty much gone from households now :(

My daughter said she was about to charge her phone when the power went off and she was hungry as the cooker wouldn't work :helpinghand: :lol:

Would rather stitch my eyelids to the carpet than watch the so called reality(?) crap!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote:I'd take power cuts and strikes over today's problems any time! Power cuts weren't so bad. It was actually like an event, candles came out and we could still play games.
I remember it seeming fun at the time. As you say, candles, games etc. I remember my Dad rigging up a spotlight to a spare car battery to provide some light in my parents shop. Seemed quite a hoot. I also remember my Mum and Dad stuffing loads of newspapers in the shop freezers to try and stop the frozen produce going off. I think they found the whole thing less entertaining than me and my sister. Depends how it affected you I guess.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

timfromull wrote:and strikes etc.
Thinking about this, perhaps the rose coloured glasses thing actually works the other way, and people think things are better now when they are not.

For example, we are still having strikes, look at the fire service, teachers, junior doctors. I mean, doctors! People are now having their operations cancelled, goodness me.
timfromull

Post by timfromull »

pbar wrote:
timfromull wrote:and strikes etc.
Thinking about this, perhaps the rose coloured glasses thing actually works the other way, and people think things are better now when they are not.

For example, we are still having strikes, look at the fire service, teachers, junior doctors. I mean, doctors! People are now having their operations cancelled, goodness me.
I think it boils down to either how good your childhood was or how shit your current life situation is now.
Personally, I was very lucky to have had a wonderful childhood and have pushed on through all the shit that life throws at you and I'm happy with my lot.

To think we only had 3 tv channels.....actually only 2 , because BBC 2 was open university boring shite etc, yet we had some great programs that we look at with fondness..
Now we have hundreds yet spend all evening struggling to find something that isn't mass produced low rent bollocks :deadhorse:
andyd

Post by andyd »

timfromull wrote:
To think we only had 3 tv channels.....actually only 2 , because BBC 2 was open university boring shite etc, yet we had some great programs that we look at with fondness..
Now we have hundreds yet spend all evening struggling to find something that isn't mass produced low rent bollocks :deadhorse:
:agree: Less was definitely more......

Low rent bollocks and constant repeats :doh:
pbar

Post by pbar »

It won't surprise you that I agree too guys :D

Anyone noticed that Starsky & Hutch is being shown every night, channel 96. Now there's a show.

andyd

Post by andyd »

We've not got Forces TV Ch 96 on Freeview :? Got it on Sky though but not watched it yet as the Mrs is usually watching something else that time of night and I go off and watch the other Freeview TV.
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:We've not got Forces TV Ch 96 on Freeview
Have you tried re-scanning Andy.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:We've not got Forces TV Ch 96 on Freeview
Have you tried re-scanning Andy.
I will try, but only replaced the TV last month so obviously tuned it then. Possibly before the channel was available :headscratch: