Goblin Works Garage

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Thought I was reading the 'Who remembers' thread then :D

My gran had a Teas Maid, she stopped using it as it promised so much but delivered something that wasn't palatable, a bit like Goblin Works Garage

The thing is, I would have kept the patina & certainly wouldn't have made a monster truck out of it. But that's also what everyone else would probably have done, it wouldn't have got us talking for a start & that's exactly the reaction they are looking for.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Thought I was reading the 'Who remembers' thread then :D
Hehe, crossed my mind too that did Rob :)
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:STOP PRESS

I have had an idea for a show.

We take an ordinary current car- say a Mustang GT and remove everything to paint it, let's say for arguments sake it's Red, we could maybe spray it Red? Then, and I know this is genius but bare with me on this, a couple of you could go off and have tattoos!! I could pretend not to know so we can try and make it interesting and wait for it, another bit of genius, we could get the local artist (Banksy) or some other idiot who thinks graffiti is acceptable and get them to make us a shop sign. Anyhow going back to the 'Stang'! Whilst everything is off it we can throw the bumpers in the bin, who needs safety features. We could hit the front end with a massive spade and drill holes in it. The interior we will do something revolutionary and recover it??? not in the same smart stuff, maybe something amazing like leopard print. We could change the wheels for flying saucers and then the excitement really begins, we all take our sledge hammers and dollies along with a ton of filler, flat it off and create the shape of the Capri. Too finish it off we will try to create the front of another model, just to ruin an iconic feature, this should get us talked about, Infact I could make it. When it is done we could advertise it for an incredible amount and get somebody either lined up to buy it or fake it.

Right who is in?

I am! You used the word ruin there. We aren’t ruining the car we are just “creating something unique” - that’s just how we roll on botch works garage.
I think we should re route the exhaust like a snorkel, and paint it bright yellow so everyone can see it. For the paint job I was thinking a mustard yellow pebbledashed with green metallic fleck.

Why don’t we take the vinyl roof and slice through it with a knife at various angles, that way it’ll look like a kick arse tough muscle car. Or maybe in a v shape down the middle so it looks like a spine?

Anyway count me in!
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Just seen a preview of the next episode, just look what they've done to this classic Mercedes :D

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Just seen a preview of the next episode, just look what they've done to this classic Mercedes :D

Hi Rob,
I would have believed you if I hadn't just seen the advert! :D

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote:Just seen a preview of the next episode, just look what they've done to this classic Mercedes :D

Hi Rob,
I would have believed you if I hadn't just seen the advert! :D

Thinking of it, that's quite restrained in comparison to some of their cars.....

Andrew.
Coyote500
Car(s): Mustang, Capri Perana

Post by Coyote500 »

Hi

I saw the car at the NEC in November last.

I met the Goblin crew and the TV production team also.

The TV show aired a few weeks ago. I shared my thoughts about the show with one of the producers.

Some comments.

I would have built the car differently. I would have done the TV show very differently. The Discovery Channel called the shots on content. There's 4 hours worth of techy stuff that was filmed and would have satisfied most Capri enthusiasts.

I have owned 50+ Capri's. All V6s plus two Mustang powered Mk1s and 4 Turbo Technics 2.8s. I know Capris.

I never owned a Laser or Calypso so could never comment about either with my lack of knowledge.

The black Capri is like a new car inside, underneath and outside. It's a 1987 model and was a perfect base for a modification.

I've read all the comments on this thread and whilst everyone has an opinion on the final result of the project, the term Marmite springs to mind. Love it or hate it. The thing is no single project will satisfy everyone. That's OK, if no designer and daredevil builder ever thought outside the box, we'd all being driving hybrid Euro-boxes, and that's a nightmare scenario for sure.

The Coyote Capri was daring. It is highly finished in terms of bodywork, engineering and drivetrain. Certain aesthetics could have been better thought through.

The car will eat Porches and Audi's and most Ferrari's.

Is if for everyone? Nope.

It only has to be right for 2 people. The owner and the next owner.

If a 1600 or 2 litre Capri is your car of choice, then this black Capri will terrify you. Which of course is academic as you'll probably never own it or drive it.

I'd even say if your car of choice is a V8 or Turbo V6 it will still terrify you.

Elon Musk recently fired a Tesla electric car into space and towards Mars in the hope that alien life forms will one day find it and discover what humanity is like.

Personally I hope aliens never ever find his Tesla, or they'll invade Earth, and conquer us within 20 minutes, seeing as we must all be globalists that pretend to care for the planet by producing vehicles that are unsustainable, energy sapping, resource intensive and driven by men in skinny jeans, sockless sandals, wearing Hipster beards and play Call of Duty when no-one is watching.

However, if Musk had fired the Coyote Capri into space we'd be safe from any attack by aliens. Why? Because they'd take one look at the Capri and say, "Holy c**p, don't go anywhere near Earth if this is their daily driver" (said in Klingon, obviously!)

Look, I get it. Capri lovers are divided. Understandably.

But, if you've never sat in it, driven or heard the gasps from pedestrians and other motorists, or had five strangers walk down your driveway to photograph it the first time you let it out to play, then you just don't live in my world.

The Coyote sits in my garage, glaring at any uninvited caller and hisses, 'don't even think about it'!

It will hopefully be at several shows this year in the UK, and three events in Europe. Grown men will tremble and their girls will plead to ride the beast.....

cheers Chris.

ps happy to discuss further via PM. If comments are helpful I'll publish.
pps the guy who 'bought' it on TV never bought it. I know the back story and it wasn't a stunt.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Coyote500 wrote: heard the gasps from pedestrians and other motorists, or had five strangers walk down your driveway to photograph it the first time you let it out to play, then you just don't live in my world.
That happens with my Laser. And I didn't have to destroy a perfectly good classic car's heritage to achieve it! :)
QuadCamCapri
Car(s): Capri 'Classic Thundersaloon'
5.0 32V Cobra V8 and E34 Touring

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Even more of a disappointment, if they had 4 hours of tech stuff but chose to fill the episode with shite about tattoos etc. and not even mention the drive line etc. :roll:
Did these 3 do all the work or is there another team that steps in to do the real graft when the camera's stop rolling ?
My in-car race video Cadwell Park 1995 Capri V6 vs 2x V8's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSBcLhI ... gvD3_PeHIA
Coyote500

Post by Coyote500 »

QuadCamCapri wrote:Even more of a disappointment, if they had 4 hours of tech stuff but chose to fill the episode with shite about tattoos etc. and not even mention the drive line etc. :roll:
Did these 3 do all the work or is there another team that steps in to do the real graft when the camera's stop rolling ?
I couldn't possibly say. I haven't seen the footage, but I have asked for it.
QuadCamCapri
Car(s): Capri 'Classic Thundersaloon'
5.0 32V Cobra V8 and E34 Touring

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Perhaps they should release a tech version of the series on DVD for the more discerning viewer :)

Look forward to seeing it at a show sometime, enjoy.
My in-car race video Cadwell Park 1995 Capri V6 vs 2x V8's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSBcLhI ... gvD3_PeHIA
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Probably should have called it a Zakspeed 2 then everyone would have liked it :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Coyote500

Post by Coyote500 »

pbar wrote:
Coyote500 wrote: heard the gasps from pedestrians and other motorists, or had five strangers walk down your driveway to photograph it the first time you let it out to play, then you just don't live in my world.
That happens with my Laser. And I didn't have to destroy a perfectly good classic car's heritage to achieve it! :)
Yes I know. Look what those terrible people at Zakspeed did with a perfectly normal Capri. Makes me sick to my stomach :crying: ...... and don't get me started on Basil Green, or Carroll Shelby. Animals, just animals.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Coyote500 wrote:
Yes I know. Look what those terrible people at Zakspeed did with a perfectly normal Capri.
Different time period though, when the heritage of these cars wasn't so important. And it wasn't done for the purpose of a TV show.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote:
Coyote500 wrote:
Yes I know. Look what those terrible people at Zakspeed did with a perfectly normal Capri.
Different time period though, when the heritage of these cars wasn't so important. And it wasn't done for the purpose of a TV show.

But in your own words Paul they will all end up in a scrapyard anyway so what's the problem. What if I drive mine regularly for my own enjoyment and crash it. Should I be cast in to the wilderness?
Lee-mk2
Car(s): '76 Pinto Capri - Arizona Gold/brown vinyl
'01 Maserati 3200 GT - Nero Carbonio

Post by Lee-mk2 »

To be honest I get that everyone has different taste etc. but still think this show has proved to be a bit disappointing, just don't think the finished products are as good as they should be and think they are trying too fard to be cool.

But each to their own.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote:

But in your own words Paul they will all end up in a scrapyard anyway so what's the problem. What if I drive mine regularly for my own enjoyment and crash it. Should I be cast in to the wilderness?
It's a fair comment Peter, and yes, that will of course happen, it's the place we will all be soon, unfortunately. But there is no need to speed the process up, if we did think like that then none of us would be repairing our cars and we'd all be banger racing them. And an accident is an entirely different thing to purposefully butchering a car. Sincerely hope that you don't have one of course.

The thing I don't understand with this Goblin thing, yes they are experienced engineers, work to a high standard, create bespoke designs, work to their own thoughts, and I get all that, it's great, I have no doubt that they are fantastic at what they are doing.

But good example classic cars aren't in the remit. Why can't they do it to modern cars which we have an abundance of? Or is it to difficult for them, maybe they can't do it. Would be nice to see that Mustang engine being fitted to a three year old Ford Focus.
Coyote500

Post by Coyote500 »

pbar wrote:
Peter-S wrote: Would be nice to see that Mustang engine being fitted to a three year old Ford Focus.
The Coyote Capri was built by extreme thinkers and doers. It was made for people who have barely enough adrenaline left to cater for their petrol head needs.

When I've parked my Perana at Nurburg in a line up of Ferrari's and Porsche's and the fans totally blank the chequebook racers to talk about my creation, it makes the whole 'butchery' department grin endlessly!

The people who turn off Predator, Gone in 60 Seconds, Bullitt and Mad Max, to see Llamas frolicking in a field will never get the rush.

If I could bottle the grin factor that I've created over the years, I'd sell some of it and make a fortune!

When a coach load of Italians tell the driver to stop so they can photograph the Gunston Capri and want pics with me (as if I were famous?), it's exhilarating and a just reward for 10 years of creating something unique.

I am no spring chicken. I produce show winning normal Capris. But I love to fire up a V8 and evoke love and grins across Europe. UK is OK, but the Europeans really love their Capris and express it.

Ford made 1.88 million Capris. One more 'butchered' one means the existing bog standard 1.6 and 2.0 Capri's should go up in value?

I totally get why people let their cars grow old and never do anything daring with them. Been there, done that. Still doing that..... That's also the reason I stopped doing shows with standard cars.

The last time I did Ford Fair and walked down a line of 20+ Focus RS' all identical, looking like they were waiting for dealers to collect from the docks, that's when I decided I just can't do 'normal'.

Looking forward to tearing up some autobahn soon and putting smiles on otherwise mundane chops!

Speaking of reactions, are you sure those 'gasps' you hear in your Laser is not your original unbutchered, OEM, non aftermarket radiator hose giving out?? :sarcasmalert:

Enjoy the summer and say Hi if you see the Coyote at a gig. Just walk straight up, do not show any fear whatever you do!

Must rush, have to feed the Beast some more M3 and A8 bits for breakfast......

V8 Focus? Stop it. I've just dried my seat.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Modification is a very subjective thing. As a warbird enthusiast I have mixed feelings about the modified racers at Reno. I'm fascinated by the performance that can be achieved from some of the old WWII fighters but a modified P-51 can look little like it 'should'. But at the end of the day its not my aircraft and not my money so I have no real right to complain. That's my view anyway :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Coyote500 wrote:
The last time I did Ford Fair and walked down a line of 20+ Focus RS' all identical, looking like they were waiting for dealers to collect from the docks
Just the reason I'd like to see a re-worked one :) Would be very refreshing actually, to see one of these car TV shows, of which there are now many, do their 'thing' with a modern common car.

And yes, would love to see you and your car at a show, would certainly pop over and say hello :)